Start by marking “The Blindfold Horse: Memories of a Persian Childhood” as Want to Read:
The Blindfold Horse: Memories of a Persian Childhood

The Blindfold Horse: Memories of a Persian Childhood

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Decades before the Iranian revolution of 1979, which placed the country under a repressive religious rule, Shusha Guppy grew up in a Persia delicately balanced between traditional Islamic life and the transforming forces of westernization. In this eloquent memoir, Guppy recreates the lost world of her childhood before the oil boom and the eventual overthrow of the Shah. He
Published August 21st 2004 by Tauris Parke Paperbacks (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Blindfold Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blindfold Horse

Jenny (Reading Envy)
Shusha Guppy, who died in 2008, moved to Paris from Persia in 1950 at the age of 16. The oil conflicts and 1979 revolution happened after she had left her country, so this memoir of her childhood (1938-1950) has a sense of a fairy tale at times, telling a story of a place that no longer exists the way she experienced it.

After she moved away, she became a writer, composer, and singer, making her friends among the French and English artist communities.

You can see hear some of her singing in YouTu
Amir
I just finished reading this memoir. It took me to places that were both familiar and exotic. The writer (now deceased) belongs to a different time in Iran and a different social stratum than my own. Her childhood was definitely privileged, compared to the majority of the population, and it is not clear from her writing how aware of this fact she has been. For those of us who were raised in more ordinary, middle-class families in Iran, her memoir has voyeuristic value. But what's remarkable abou ...more
Camela
I loved this book much more the first time I read it because it was all new then. It taught me a lot about Iran before the ayatollahs. It's funny the times I've used something I learned from this book in conversation.
Lora
This book is fun to read.
S
I am totally aware that my fairly high rating of this book is totally due to the fact that I spent my childhood in Iran hearing about the Iran of my father's childhood and always wanting to hear more. Well, this is the more that I always wanted since Ms. Guppy is of the same generation of my father though she seems to have grown up in a more traditional household than that of my father.

She explains so many things about the Iran of old and about the customs surrounding so much that is life in Ira
Leila
A lyrically written memoir about growing up in Persia in the time of the Shahs--a lost world now. I notice the author, now deceased, has caught a little flak on Goodreads for "classism"... But she does not hide the fact that she is describing her childhood in an upper class home, not does she imply that her experience was universal. Not to mention that it makes little sense to impose the current construct of "class" to a time before the 1960s.. A light, enjoyable read.
Ann-katrin
Guppy, with her beautiful language, paints a world unknown to many of us, and very familiar to those who were there, it's a story about a Persian childhood, and about growing as a woman. Guppy describes a world that no longer exists, and does it in a spell binding way.
Ginger
At this point I've read so many growing up in the Iranian revolution stories that it's hard for me to weed one out from another, but this one was my leas favorite.
اویس
This is the biography of a mildly arrogant but highly intelligent Persian woman..I loved her razor sharp recollections and witty musings...
Melinda
A beautifully written memoir. Pre Revolution days in Iran. Enjoyed this book very much. Great tales shared.
Jbondandrews
Interesting set of short stories, she writes like Marjane Satrapi.
Steve Moran
Steve Moran marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Nadia Ayoub
Nadia Ayoub marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Lora
Lora marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Querobin
Querobin marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Firouzeh
Firouzeh marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Noushin
Noushin marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Shahzeen
Shahzeen marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Jane Kelly
Jane Kelly marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Secret of Laughter: Magical Tales from Classical Persia A Girl in Paris: A Persian Encounter with the West Looking Back Three Journeys in the Levant 1001 Persian-English Proverbs (English and Farsi Edition)