Start by marking “King Grisly-Beard” as Want to Read:
King Grisly-Beard

King Grisly-Beard

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  81 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Grimm fairy tale
Published December 31st 1986 by Farrar Straus Giroux (first published 1812)

To ask other readers questions about King Grisly-Beard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Grisly-Beard

Amber
May 16, 2016 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good short story I read online about a princess who is taught a lesson after she made fun of others appearances. A great tale from the brothers Grimm. If you enjoy fairytales, definitely check this story out for yourself.
Sophie Cox
Dec 12, 2014 Sophie Cox rated it really liked it
I liked the characters in this story and I also enjoyed the plot very much. I liked how the princess learnt her lesson and to ot judge a book by its cover. I thought that the story progressed well and the developement of the princess' character was wel done and it showed well how different events had changed her outlook on her life. The ending is a good one and if I were to read it again from the start the difference between the princess at the end and at the beginning would be strengthened.
Sandra
Jan 30, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh this is a highly underrated fairytale that cautions against arrogance. A princess as so vain she accepts no suitor at all for she finds them all too ugly. No in the end her father is so frustrated he offers her the first man who offers to wed her. As it happens this was some random wanderer (or at least thats what it looked like. But this being Grimm they have a trick up their sleeves.
shanay
Dec 04, 2015 shanay rated it it was amazing
this story is about a princess who takes everything for granted. she's one of those people who thinks they are superior to everyone else around her. she mocks everyone, based on their looks, or their class. her father, who happens to be the king, orders her to marry the first man that comes into their castle.

the first person to walk through the door of the castle, happens to be a musician. he was the one to be her husband. he had no fortune, but many skills. the princess had to learn the hard wa
Namiko
This story reminds me of Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shew." Maybe the princess learned a lesson but I'm not sure that their marriage would be happy or not...
Sasha
Oct 04, 2012 Sasha rated it it was amazing
Prefect fable, wonderful illustrations, and witty side conversations between the characters. A story within a story. All of this in a slim children's book.
Emma Eronson
Jun 24, 2015 Emma Eronson rated it really liked it
Shelves: barn-ung
Prinsessan är självupptagen och stolt. Så stolt att ingen av hennes friare duger. Kunden gifter då bort henne med förste tiggare som kommer till slottet. Han visar sig vara en kung i förklädnad.
Dec 30, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Considering this is one of the less well known stories this is a short sweet fairy tale and I strongly recommend it.
Anastasia
Nov 04, 2014 Anastasia rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-books
It's such a sweet story by the Brothers Grimm. Very kid friendly and also a great book for reading aloud.
This short story contains a powerful lesson about life and how it should be approached.
Sem
Jul 12, 2015 Sem rated it liked it
I'd be surprised if she'd learned her lesson by the end.
Sara
Jacob has
☪♥Magic Love Wonderland☯♥Love☮
The Story: how the spoiled princess learned her lessons by being tricked by King Grisly-Beard.
The Moral: to not be rude to people you don't know. And you never know how long your wealth/happiness is going to last...
Stephanie
Jun 18, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My new favorite fairy tale! Nobody knows this story. However, it is a story I believe everyone should be aquainted with!
ABC
Jul 24, 2013 ABC rated it liked it
Illustrated by Maurice Sendak. This story is about a very picky princess. It is a Grimm's fairy tale I have never heard before.
Mandie
Mandie rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Ky-Myy Evan'Z
Ky-Myy Evan'Z marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Jennie
Jennie rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Chrys Albarado
Chrys Albarado marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Rose
Rose rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Sophia Thomas
Sophia Thomas rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Ine
Ine added it
Mar 27, 2016
Nurtasya
Nurtasya marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Olga
Olga rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Linda Lipko
Linda Lipko marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm, German philologist, jurist and mythologist, was born at Hanau, in Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel). He is best known as the discoverer of Grimm's Law, the author of the monumental German Dictionary, his Deutsche Mythologie and more popularly, with his brother Wilhelm, as one of the Brothers Grimm, as the editor of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

(From Wikipedia.)

More about Jacob Grimm...