Why Pick on Me?

Why Pick on Me? (Marvin Redpost #2)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  376 ratings  ·  31 reviews

Illus. in black-and-white. Marvin is shunned by his classmates, best friends, and teacher after he is unfairly fingered as a nose-picker by the class bully. "It will be an underground classic, an easy reader that kids are dying to read."--(starred) Bulletin, Center for Children's Books....more
Published March 16th 1993 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published February 1st 1993)

Nicole
Newbery Medal winner Louis Sachar’s Marvin Redpost series of beginning chapter books are chock-full of the silly humor that children enjoy from his other Wayside School series. Marvin inadvertently gets on bully Clarence’s bad side and Clarence accuses Marvin of being a nose-picker. The more Marvin denies the designation, the more his classmates ostracize him until even his two best friends no longer associate with him for fear of being lumped into nose-picker category and the social outcast sta...more
Dolly
Sep 25, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the second book in the Marvin Redpost series. It is a terribly accurate story about how children can gang up and pick on a child.

The story is a bit silly, but it shows how much schoolyard rumors and stories can affect children. The protagonist of the tale, Marvin Redpost, gets bullied and the story shows how the bullying affects all aspects of his life. It's a good story to use as a discussion starter at home and in school about bullying and countering bullying behavior.

We enjoyed readi...more
Carol
If you enjoy the Marvin Redpost series, you will like this one too.

Bullying is one of the most popular themes in coming-of-age literature at all times. Marvin was said to be a nose-picker in class. In other words, he was somewhat verbally abused. He felt discontented about the fact that his classmates called him names. There's rumours around. The harder he tried to deny it, the least his friends believed him. In the end, he figured out a way to silence the school bullies.

The book doesn't hold an...more
Ayumi Shimoyama
1)Publisher: Random House
Book series: A First Stepping Stone Book
Level: ?
2)Time: 1/7=30min, 1/9=10min, 1/10=15min, 1/11=7min
3)7word summary: Marvin, Nose, Capsule, Tease, Sister, Survey, Laugh
4)Discussion question:
In Marvin's class, students is going to bury a time capsule.
Have you ever buried a time capsule? If you have never done that, do you want to bury a time capsule?
-Yes. When I was a second grade in elementary school, my school buried a time capsule. And the time capsule was dig up w...more
gina
Why should you read Why Pick on Me? - ?
1. Louis Sachar is one of the best children’s writers out there.
2. The angle on dealing with bullies is creative and full of heart.
3. This book is a great transition for beginning readers to start chapter books.
4. You get to read the word “booger” repeatedly.

You might think this book has a childish take on something that kids like to snicker about, but really it’s a thoughtful tale about how rumors are spread. A mild suggestion by a bully becomes a full-fle...more
Haruna Saka
Book: )
"Marvin Redpost: Why pick on me?"
By Louis Sachar (Random House)

Time: )
2/8=49min

7 summary: )
wall-ball, bullying, nose-picker, survey, ask, unfair, misunderstanding

My thought: )
This book that one of my friends recommend to me was very interesting. It's good for all students who want to become a teacher to keep reading this series. I like it. This situation is a really typical type of bullying (picking on someone). That's why I could feel that I have to think carefully about like those probl...more
Reed S
I recently finished reading Why pick on me by:Louis Sachar. I really like this book because it shows that you shouldn't pick on others if you do it. I also like this book because at the end he figures out that all the kids that make fun of him pick there nose. This book is about Marvin Redpost and how he gets picked on until his parents sit down with him and explain how most people in his class do embarrassing things that they don't share. One thing I don't like about the book is that there is a...more
Mike Hazlip
I had my daughter read this for homeschool. It's funny and witty with some good examples of irony. Marvin Redpost is accused of picking his nose, and the more he tries to deny it, the more his classmates think it's true.

(view spoiler)...more
Bunny Asis
Third grade memories :)

In this book I first know what BOOGER is and what do you call to the act of *putting your finger inside your nose to get dirt*, it's called, picking your nose. I was nine year old so I'm happy to know these facts! Ha ha.

So, anyway, Martin is bullied in his school only because some of his mean classmates started spreading rumors that Marvin always picks his nose! Which is a very gross thing to do for kids at that age, right? So everyone avoids him and everyone doesn't like...more
Shuhei Ota
11/8=15min , 11/9=15min, 11/10=15min, 11/12=15min,
Seven words: pick - nose- game- tough- tease- friend- survey
Discussion Question:
Q1: Do you have a best friend?
A1: Yes. He had been same school with me from elementary school to high school. Moreover, we belonged to baseball club together. We hanged out a lot and sometimes helped each other.
Q2: Main character was bullied because he was picking him nose. Have you ever picked your nose?
A2: Yes. When I was three or four years old, I had done.
Comme...more
Andrea
Cute book. Clever message about resolving getting picked on.
Kevan
Is he as disgusting as they say he is? The runor is going around that Marvin Redpost is the biggest nose-picker in the school. Clarence started it, and now everyone is acting as if its true. Even Marvin's best friends don't want to be seen with him. It's unfair! But what can Marvin do about it?

We read this book for one of my granddaughters book reports at school. We would each read it and then discuss, to help her with comprehension. It's a gross subject, but it made us laugh.
Kirei
This book is about a difficult topic--nose picking!

A bully falsely accuses Marvin of picking his nose, and then everyone is calling him a nose picker. Even his teacher thinks it is true.

This book handles bullying and also being human. The ending may surprise you!! Now excuse me while I go get a tissue.

Very much a "boy" book, though girls will like it, too.
Jessica Kang
Clarence, the meanest kid in Marvin's school, fought with Marvin, then, she spread a strange rumor, which is Marvin piked his nose.
The more he deny the rumor, the more his friends believe and leave him, even his best friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
His sister said that why picking nose is bad.
How can he solve the problem?
Lanelibrarylady
Cute story with a kid-appealing message that speaks to the topic of bullying/teasing/excluding. While the nose-picking theme stoops to "bathroom humor" level (for me, anyways!), the message of teasing other kids will be delivered to the more reluctant readers.
Jan
In the world of 2nd graders, where the word "booger" sets off shouts of laughter, this book is a boy's delight. His parents will love the quiet, intelligent way Marvin sets about silencing the school bullies.

Louis Sachar at his juvenile-writer best.
Karielle Stephanie
errrrm....i have no clue y i read this one, i found it on my second grade cousin's desk and picke dit up

its kinda sickening and childish at the same time...but i member reading it from when i was smaller, so it was okay
Ethan
I like that Marvin Redpost learned to not pick his nose because the kids made fun of him. It's a good lesson to learn. Maybe it wasn't nice for the other kids to make fun of him.
Jeffrey
Didn't enjoy this one as much. A very quick read. Sachar is good most anytime, but didn't really care for this one. The boys seemed to get a kick out of it. So, not a total loss, right?
Catherine Woodman
Louis Sachar is a great writer for mid-grammar school age kids--The Marvin Redpost series is a great example of his talent at accessible writing and reading for this age group
Julianna
I cant remember a damn thing about this book. I read it when I was 8. All I know is that I LOVED it and that it was on of the first books I read and I just kept going from there.
This was a wonderful book. My kids and I laughed out loud and enjoyed learning a simple lesson about kindness, respect and honesty.
Emily Lorkowski
It was a good book. I thought it was funny.It was about how a kid named Marvin who always gets picked on and always gets in trouble.
Melinda
Didn't like the first one at all. Don't love this one. But some of the nose picking talk is pretty funny.
Ashanti
I did not think it was fare when clerence lied and said he did not pick his nose
Ivy Krill
Ha ha, I can't believe this is on here! Gross. I read this when I was in 4th grade.
Gabby
I liked this book it was a lot better than Marvin Redpost alone in his teachers house!
Alissa
this book is asome. i dont know why i like this book ether. you should read it also.
Mrsmook
another great series for reluctant readers
  • The Mystery of the Monster Movie (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #8)
  • Horrible Harry and the Ant Invasion
  • The Littles Go To School
  • The Great Egyptian Grave Robbery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #2)
  • Two Times the Fun
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Horrid Henry (L.A.F. Books)
  • The Invisible Fran (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #3)
  • The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1)
  • Mummies Don't Coach Softball (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #21)
  • Invisible Stanley (Flat Stanley, #4)
  • Silvermist and the Ladybug Curse (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #12)
  • The X'ed-out X-ray (A to Z Mysteries, #24)
  • The Chalk Box Kid (Stepping Stone Books)
  • Jake Drake, Bully Buster
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy (Time Warp Trio #3)
Louis Sachar (pronounced Sacker), born March 20, 1954, is an American author of children's books.

More about Louis Sachar...
Holes (Holes, #1) Sideways Stories From Wayside School (Wayside School #1) Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2) Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3) There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom