Start by marking “Minji's Salon” as Want to Read:
Minji's Salon

Minji's Salon

You have to be patient; beauty takes time. While Minji's mother visits her local salon, Minji creates a world of beauty all her own. An ode to the power of children's imaginations (and their parents' patience), Minji's Salon reminds readers that creativity and play are worldwide phenomena.
Published February 1st 2008 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Minji's Salon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minji's Salon

T. Denise
Mar 14, 2009 T. Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: international
Minji's salon was the story of a young girl who experiments with her dog, giving it hairstyles. What was wonderful about the book were the illustrations. The story parallels with a beauty day for Minji's mother. While Minji's mother is at the salon, Minji is at home styling away on the doggie!

One thing I appreciated about the book were the trendy fashion illustrations. I thought that Choung did a nice job of shattering typical asian stereotypes of traditional attire.

A final theme in the book s
Westerville
Dec 08, 2011 Westerville rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, picture_book
While her mother is away at the salon, a little girl creates her own salon, with her dog as the client (victim!) Parallel scenes show the mother having her hair done and Minji experimenting on her pet. A delightful story -- a small slice of contemporary life, with touches of humor and imagination. - Robin, Youth Services Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Kendra Kinnan
Sep 29, 2011 Kendra Kinnan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I appreciate the foreshadowing this book has. In the beginning, the reader see's Minji peering into the windows of a salon. The illustrations also show the relationship between what is really happening at the salon (while Minji's mother is there) and what Minji's attempt at being a hairstylist. At the end of the book, you see Minji looking into the windows of a boutique. I wonder what will happen next?
Robin
Dec 01, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it

From South Korea (no translator listed).
Christina Schmitt
Apr 22, 2012 Christina Schmitt rated it really liked it
In this book Minji makes a mess using her imagine by using her dog as a customer at a salon. In the end of the book her mother make an appoitment at her "salon" instead of getting mad. This book is good for children who want to use their imagination.
Nicole
Jul 19, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it
So cute. A little girl mimics her mother's day at the hair salon by performing hilarious approximations on the family dog. This one is totally driven by the ADORABLE illustrations. I can't help but giggle every time I see one of young Minji's facial expressions...
Natalie
Oct 11, 2008 Natalie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: if you like before and after photos
Little girl trashes house, puts ice cream all over the dog and somehow her mother doesn't beat her. So non-realistic.

I like this only because I spent three hours getting my hair done yesterday and can identify with the plight of the characters.
Pamela
May 27, 2010 Pamela rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
Nice art, cute story about a little girl who plays salon with her dog while her mother is at the real salon. Not a lot of text but like I said, the art was great in a very eye catching and unconventional way.
Molly
May 06, 2009 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Minji operates her own salon (her dog as client), while on the facing page her mother is getting a new style. This is a nice choice for one on one reading (as there are a lot of picture details that promote discussion), but I will also be using it in my narrative skills storytime.
Angela
Jan 02, 2016 Angela rated it it was amazing
I plan to use these book along with TocaHairSalonMe (app) in speech-language therapy the first week of January!
Edna
Beautiful illustrations created by a South Korean artist and author of this book about a young girl who mimics styling hair at home with her dog while her mother is visiting the local beauty salon.
M
Jun 10, 2010 M rated it liked it
Shelves: asia, childrens
I found this book on a list of Korean children's books. The little girl is Korean, and that's all. There is no Korean culture, food, or anything.
Norah Almusharraf
Jun 06, 2014 Norah Almusharraf rated it it was ok
I just like the illustrations.
The book at all is not suitable for teaching .
It is just a book for girls.
Katie
Little girl pretends she is working at a salon (uses her dog as a client.) Mirrors her mother's going to the hair salon experience.
Tina Bartholoma
Dec 10, 2009 Tina Bartholoma rated it liked it
"hair styling, dogs, girl plays salon with her pet dog, mimicking her mother in the shop, illustrations show a lot of movement"
Sally
Sally rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2008
Susan
Susan rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2011
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2009
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2015
Robyn
Cute & funny! I like how Minji dresses up the dog while her mom gets a haircut & color job. And mom seems more impressed by Minji's doggie makeover than upset at the mess she makes in the process.
Lonnie Freedman
Lonnie Freedman rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2008
melanie (lit*chick)
melanie (lit*chick) rated it liked it
May 26, 2009
Alexa
Alexa rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2010
Anurasika
Anurasika rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2010
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2008
DebbieLisa
DebbieLisa rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2009
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2012
Victoria Binkerd
Victoria Binkerd rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013