Start by marking “The Managed Heart: Commercialization of Human Feeling” as Want to Read:
The Managed Heart: Commercialization of Human Feeling

The Managed Heart: Commercialization of Human Feeling

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In private life we try to induce or suppress love, envy, and anger through deep acting or "emotional work," just as we manage our outer expressions through surface acting. But what happens when this system of adjusting emotions is adapted to commercial purposes? Hochschild examines the cost of this kind of "emotional labor." She vividly describes from a humanist and femini ...more
Published June 15th 2003 by University of California Press (first published November 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Managed Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Managed Heart

Guards! Guards! by Terry PratchettSupercooperators by M.A. NowakThe Logic of Collective Action by Mancur OlsonThe Complexity of Cooperation by Robert AxelrodThe Evolution of Cooperation by Robert Axelrod
Hufflepuff
20th out of 28 books — 1 voter
The Gift by Marcel MaussThe War of Art by Steven PressfieldThe Gift by Lewis HydeArt Is Work by Milton GlaserMan on Wire by Philippe Petit
Linchpin Bibliography
11th out of 38 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Katya
Well, first things first: After reading this book, you will not be able to see "View from the Top" the same way again.

description

Hollywood sugar-coating stuff. Who knew?

When I was little, I noticed a strange thing. My parents seemed to really hate it when I raised my voice, but let my brother do his thing without a second thought. When I was little, I thought it was unfair, but since raising my voice only got me discredited, I learned to argue without letting my temper get the better of me.

It wasn't unti
Kathryn Coffman
Oct 14, 2013 Kathryn Coffman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gender/minority class study interest, psychology and sociology college students
Hochschild perfectly captures the perils of emotional labor in this book. Reading this in my college class, I was able to perform some empirical research inspired by Hochschild's work and realized, as a retail employee myself, how much corporations and companies can commercialize off your emotions. The comparisons between male and female workers were not shocking, but very intriguing, and surprised me when I experienced them face-to-face while researching. Even as an employee who utilizes emotio ...more
Gloria
(Yes, it took me a long time to finish this book…)

And although it is a wee bit 'dated' in that it is 20+ years old, this book still very relevant. Definitely not written as many books are today (with the popular audience in mind) but still highly readable and relevant—particularly as so many jobs have shifted more heavily toward the service end, and as the effects of branding has started to bled both through social media and physical/employee representation. In fact, I do think that the distinct
Natalia
Altough this book has been written in the 80`s it is amazing how up to date the whole topic still is. This book has shown to me very important sociological connections between the demands of nowadays jobs and the stress, burnout and the personal and emotional troubles those demands create. I do recomand it totaly for everyone who is interested in sociological topics.
Kay
Classic sociological study. Hochschild argues that emotions are socially constructed, rather than innate (as we often think of them being). Her in-depth ethnographic research yielded rich data which, when combined with interviews, made this book a deeply engrossing sociological narrative.
This is a great look at how flight attendant's feelings were managed in what the author called "emotional labor." Very interesting reading and you will never be mean to a flight attendant again.
Tj Thomas
Very good book about emotional labor, especially in the service industry. Work that requires you to not only perform a task well, but to also act and feel a certain way while you do it.
Katrina
Dec 16, 2014 Katrina marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Good information, but hard to read for me. I'd rather see this in a lecture or something that would hold my attention better. I may try to go back to it at some point.
Dave
Not a bad book. But not a great one either. It's really just some loosely structured writing about how management and corporate organization doesn't have to be inhuman.
Kåre
Apr 12, 2014 Kåre added it
Shelves: skimmet
vvirker biased og outdated. tesen er at omsorg er hårdt arbejde.
T. Smith
Mine's the first paperback edition, with the factory line of hearts on the cover.
Robin
very engaging and you should read this book so you know what you're getting paid for.
Matt
entirely unsatisfying (though i guess important) sociological analysis.
Susan Klinke
Very dated. I should have read the updated 2003 edition.
Christopher
Such drivel. Add some sources, build your arguments.
Kelly
Apr 12, 2008 Kelly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: class

sociology of emotions (walzer)
Jens Millkrantz
Jens Millkrantz marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Yazan Al-najjar
Yazan Al-najjar marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
John G
John G marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
fr4nt1c
fr4nt1c marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Peter Joseph
Peter Joseph marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Bre
Bre marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
avigayil
avigayil marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
NO marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Achille M
Achille M marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
  • Gender Advertisements
  • Honest Signals: How They Shape Our World
  • The Reproduction of Mothering: Psychoanalysis and the Sociology of Gender
  • The Lonely Crowd: A Study of the Changing American Character
  • Stone Age Economics
  • Why Love Hurts: A Sociological Explanation
  • Same Difference: How Gender Myths Are Hurting Our Relationships, Our Children, and Our Jobs
  • Global Woman: Nannies, Maids, and Sex Workers in the New Economy
  • The Way We Really Are: Coming to Terms with America's Changing Families
  • Don't Bite the Hook: Finding Freedom from Anger, Resentment, and Other Destructive Emotions
  • Feminism FOR REAL: Deconstructing the Academic Industrial Complex of Feminism
  • Paying for the Party: How College Maintains Inequality
  • The Declining Significance of Race: Blacks and Changing American Institutions
  • The Power Elite
  • Schooling In Capitalist America: Educational Reform And The Contradictions Of Economic Life
  • Our Aesthetic Categories: Zany, Cute, Interesting
  • Opting Out?: Why Women Really Quit Careers and Head Home
  • On Individuality and Social Forms
Arlie Russell Hochschild is the author of The Outsourced Self, The Time Bind, Global Woman, The Second Shift, and The Managed Heart. She is a professor of sociology at the University of California, Berkeley. Her articles have appeared in Harper's, Mother Jones, and Psychology Today, among others. She lives in San Francisco.

More about Arlie Russell Hochschild...
The Second Shift The Time Bind: When Work Becomes Home and Home Becomes Work The Outsourced Self: Intimate Life in Market Times The Commercialization of Intimate Life: Notes from Home and Work So How's the Family?: And Other Essays

“Sincerity” is detrimental to one’s job, until the rules of salesmanship and business become a “genuine” aspect of oneself. —C. Wright Mills” 0 likes