Start by marking “Invisible Acts Of Power” as Want to Read:
Invisible Acts Of Power

Invisible Acts Of Power

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  718 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
In this text, Dr Caroline Myss, medical intuitive and pioneer in energy medicine, argues that we are most godlike, most powerful and most apt to increase our own power when we act with true generosity towards others.
Published June 1st 2007 by Pocket Books (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Invisible Acts Of Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible Acts Of Power

Aleisha Z Coleman
i think you can read the summary somewhere else to get the context of this book. for me it is the timing of this book that has made it powerful for me. here is the clencher quote for me "perfoming an invisible act of service for themselves is immensely uncomfortable for many people who are used to caring physically for others...Many people sacrifice themselves for others, becoming exhausted, fatiqued, or ill before they will accept the need to take care of themselves and make choices that are pe ...more
Mary
Sep 07, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
every little thing you do does in fact matter, maybe not to you immediately, but possibly to somebody else known or unknown to you. the ripple effect our actions or inactions have on others and ourselves is the crux of this book. I really liked authors further explanation of "grace". It matches what I already know from a religious/faith based perspective, but it would also make sense to those without that viewpoint. How our actions and attitudes affect our inner health (mental, emotional, physic ...more
Jme
Jul 12, 2010 Jme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warning: do not read this book if you are not ready for transformation.
As Myss says, we all want guidance but are afraid of revelation.

This book will help you live differently. It will take you from living at your first, second, and third chakras and live "above the waist" in your fifth, sixth, and seventh chakras. The fourth will mediate.

It will absolutely wreck, revamp, or reaffirm your psycho-spiritual sense of Self and provide you with courage to let go of who you are so that you
can become w
Kenjo707
Mar 14, 2014 Kenjo707 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been popular with a fair number of readers, but....???

I had the feeling that Ms Myss, after writing a number of successful self-help books, needed to publish another book quickly and chose a rather simplistic method for sourcing the content for it.

The formula seems to have been:

1) Publish a request on your website for fans to write to you about their experiences with grace and acts of kindness.

2) Take the material (1200 responses within six days) and weave it around chakra theory
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I actually "scanned" a lot of this book because there are a lot of examples, and also because I don't tend to agree with some of Myss's premises. However, this book is useful to me because it reminded me that those small things we do, both for loved ones and for strangers, can be very important in ways we may never know.
This is sort of a book about "not-so-random acts of kindness."
Lisa
Mar 25, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it. I read it at a timely point in my life, and I think the most important takeaways for me are that what we do and think matters and that prayers are heard. She uniquely incorporates both Eastern and Western philosophical and religious traditions in a way that makes spiritual sense.
Abuinchico
Feb 10, 2009 Abuinchico is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Brings me back to whats good and real in the universe. I love to do things anonymously and sit back to watch the good deed without praise. It isn't about me. I love that.
Summer
Aug 22, 2008 Summer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It helps you look at the possibilites to help others out in their life and in your own. You feel good after you read it.
LizG
Oct 26, 2009 LizG rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We could all use a little extra grace in our lives, don't you think?

What a great antidote to the idea that we are better, stronger, more, when we strive for "success" at the expense of those around us. Instead, there is power and soul in acts of compassion. We bring grace into our own lives when we listen and are compelled to act on our heart's advice to help others.

I gained insight in understanding how different kinds of acts of kindness align with different chakras. I had a friend once who us
Zoe
Caroline Myss walks us through the different kinds of needs associated with each of the body's chakras and anecdotes about how people had their needs met, usually in unexpected ways, as they embraced the reality of their lives in a particular moment. It's a powerful reminder that the universe is on our side, and we find what we believe is out there.
Don Weidinger
Mar 11, 2013 Don Weidinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
red truck message, like energy, feel the grace next to others, to live bold, Theresa of Avila’s Interior Castle, as water flowing, nuns open others not, healing force to help others, John McDonough Irish poet, grace to save self changes you not others, field of grace with prayers, fair and greed and no grace, your charisma, go to field vs self violation of failing to go, do for others not self, to become invisible in prayer, pray your way into castle with trust, covered in grace, healing thru gr ...more
Joann Amidon
Jun 21, 2014 Joann Amidon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will make you look at people differently, realizing there are, in fact, very kind, thoughtful people everywhere and we may not even be aware of them.
Michael Hsu
Sep 01, 2015 Michael Hsu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
While I am a firm believer in God’s Grace, this book takes the idea of Grace to a more technical level which is somewhat foreign to me. Having said that, I still enjoyed the many inspirational stories outlined in this book.
Connie
Mar 12, 2010 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a wonderful look at the power we each have to improve our lives and the lives of others by expressing a simple, ethereal grace to one another in various forms. Grace comes in the form of a smile, handshake, or an act of mercy. Either way, that small (or large)act can create an impact so huge that it becomes worth it to dig inside yourself to find balance so that you can be available to others. Caroline Myss does this through the journey of the chakras, and she does this well, leaving no ...more
Megan
Jan 19, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This book is an amazing tribute to service. She spends the entire lecture talking about different types of service (categorized into chakras) and how each type is important. The book is the result of what she learned after asking for people to tell her about a time someone served them. I feel so motivated to place extra emphasis on service. It is especially nice that she places so much emphasis on God and how we need to act in order to be close to Him.
Elsie
Jun 15, 2011 Elsie rated it really liked it
A very clear and sincere sharing on the Invisible Acts of Power. Really enjoyed the wisdom shared by Caroline Myss, within this book, and in many instances, was touched to tears by the stories told. In it, she also wrote about Synchronicity :The Quintessential Invisible Act of Power", and I for one, will always marvel at the wonders of synchronicity happening around me when least expected...

Brooke
Aug 04, 2013 Brooke rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual, gave-up-on
This book did not resonate with me. I did write down a few quotes, but overall I felt the basis of the book was a bit of a stretch. Myss' approach to the chakra system was both confusing and overwhelming. Throughout the book she referred to the chakra system, but she was not consistent in her naming configuration. I might revisit this book at a later time.
Bonnie Ricica
Mar 11, 2012 Bonnie Ricica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carolyn Myss's insights into grace put it into words I could not find. I have often felt as if grace was all around me offering a path to enriched life with its guidance. Myss talks in a straight forward fashion how to access it. The guided mediations at the end are particularly good for me.
Sharon
Feb 06, 2013 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enlightenment
Another wonderful book by one of my favorite inspirational writers. Myss walks through the spirit of giving via the 7 chakras and beautifully communicates how the smallest kindness can have a profound effect on another person and in turn, the universe.
Jamie
Mar 30, 2008 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is written a bit like a textbook, but there are definitely some inspiring stories tucked into each chapter. I didn't know anything about chakras prior to reading the book, but the themes are universal.
Cathy Posner
Jun 17, 2008 Cathy Posner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about how the energy you put out in the world through good acts and kindness comes back to you energetically. I'm really into energy concepts and holistic healing so I liked this.
Marta Skoober
Umas das melhores leituras do ano.
Deanna Joseph
Jul 31, 2013 Deanna Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting take on energy anatomy and the power of giving. We learn about our own energy - our strengths and our weaknesses - through our ability to be of service.
Alain
This was interesting and had a lot of inspiration stroies. However, I found it a bit disjointed. I passed it opn to someone else, and she's loving it!
Margie Carpenter
Jun 06, 2008 Margie Carpenter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book to remind us that Grace is out there waiting for us all. The personal stories sent to Ms. Myss are inspirational.
Muilin Cheong
Mar 31, 2013 Muilin Cheong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An unbelievable insight into how you can channel Grace into your life. Thought provoking and life changing book.
Mindy
Dec 25, 2013 Mindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book but felt it was exponentially better because it was discussed at length in philosophy class.
Carol
Apr 22, 2010 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this book. I'm planning on buying my own copy. Obviously one of my favorite writers.
Yvonne Perry
A little clinical for me- but good ideas and insight on learning to listen to yourself more often.
  • Intuition and the Mystical Life
  • Awakening Intuition: Using Your Mind-Body Network for Insight and Healing
  • Living Through the Meantime: Learning to Break the Patterns of the Past and Begin the Healing Process
  • Earn What You're Really Worth: Maximize Your Income at Any Time in Any Market
  • Archangel Oracle Cards: A 45 Card Deck and Guidebook
  • Everyday Grace: Having Hope, Finding Forgiveness And Making Miracles
  • Discovery of the Presence of God: Devotional Nonduality
  • Positive Energy: 10 Extraordinary Prescriptions for Transforming Fatigue, Stress, and Fear Into Vibrance, Strength, and Love
  • Soul Love: Awakening Your Heart Centers (Soul Life, #1)
  • The Woman of Wyrrd: The Arousal of the Inner Fire
  • Creating True Prosperity
  • Stephen Arroyo's Chart Interpretation Handbook: Guidelines for Understanding the Essentials of the Birth Chart
  • Shadow Dance
  • Meditations to Heal Your Life
  • How To See & Read The Aura
  • Energy Medicine: Use Your Body's Energies
  • Chakra Balancing: A Guide to Healing and Awakening Your Energy Body [With Cards and Workbook and 2 CDs]
  • Ask Your Guides: Connecting to Your Divine Support System
Caroline Myss was born on December 2, 1952 in Chicago, and grew up with her parents, and two brothers, one elder and one younger, in the Melrose Park, Illinois neighbourhood near Chicago. Caroline was raised a Catholic, and attended the Mother Guerin High School, River Grove, Illinois, run by the Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods. She completed her Bachelor of Arts degree in journal ...more
More about Caroline Myss...