Start by marking “The Nine Giants” as Want to Read:
The Nine Giants

The Nine Giants (Nicholas Bracewell #4)

"Marston's wit and vivid evocation of Elizabethan London's sights and smells provide a delightfully ribald backdrop for this clever series." -Publishers Weekly ., ."all the swashbuckling thrills and romantic swagger of the blood-and-thunder tragedies that are meat and drink to Westfield's Men." -New York Times Book Review The fiery star, Laurence Firethorn, is hot for a la

Published September 1st 1991 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Nine Giants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nine Giants

Dokusha
Feb 18, 2017 Dokusha rated it liked it
Shelves: novels
Ein politisches Komplott im London des 16. Jahrhunderts. Das war mal eine etwas andere Atmosphäre, die Sitten und Gebräuche der Zeit unterschieden sich doch ziemlich von unseren. Edward Marston schafft es, einen in die Epoche zu versetzen, nicht nur mit dem, was er schreibt, sondern auch damit, wie er schreibt. Sein Stil ist gewollt altmodisch und hilft kräftig dabei mit, sich 500 Jahre zurück zu denken.
Und meine erste Befürchtung, der Stil und die Geschichte könnten sich als langweilig erweise
Maria Thermann
Oct 17, 2014 Maria Thermann rated it it was amazing
The fourth novel in the series sees protagonist Nicholas Bracewell's resource and detective skills put through even greater paces as ever before. Now secure in the Elizabethan world he has conjured up for us, Edward Marston delivers a superb murder mystery with great style and just enough period detail to suck us into the whirlpool that is 16th century London and without boring us with too many facts.

Plot:

Set against the backdrop of mayoral elections and the rivalries that pulse through London's
Annie
Feb 16, 2017 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't love this series, but I enjoy it and easily wile away time on my daily commute getting lost with Lord Westfield's troupe in Elizabethan London. I only have very minor complaints: would a waterman genuinely know how to read and write? In 16th C England, it would be far more realistic that he would be illiterate. He could absolutely come up with poems and music, but would be unable to transcribe anything to or from paper.

And the dialogue is slightly exhausting. I find myself skimming if th
Donna Jo Atwood
Nicholas Bracewell is the "book man" (general manager) of an Elizabethan theatrical troupe sponsored by Lord Westfield, which mainley plays at the Queen's Head Inn. He lodges with Anne Hendrik, who is the widow of a Dutch hatmaker.
Bracewell is juggling the negotiations for a renewal of the the Company's contract with the Inn, the volatile emotions of two of the Company's actors in lust with the same woman, the literary hopes of a poetically-inclined waterman, and a serious case of multiple murde
Sharon
Feb 06, 2014 Sharon rated it it was ok
Set in Elizabethan London, a troup of actors becomes unknowingly embroiled in politics as the lovely young wife of the Lord Mayor Elect attends one of their plays and is spied by the womanizing lead of the troupe and the actor who also writes most of their play. Both men are smitten and contentious quarrels arise. The twists and turns of the story lead to the uncovering of immense graft amongst the Lord Mayor's cronies, deaths, and the taking of another man's name.
Ivan Benedict
I have a weak spot for mysteries set in old England (Cadfael series,
Father Brown stories, Sherlock Holmes). This one is set in old
London. The murder actually happens a way into the book and isn't
quite the major mystery. There's lots of fun involving a theater
company that continues throughout the book. There's romance,
mayoral politics, and some other threads that are woven into the
story - eventually all coming together at the end.
Marston writes an interesting story.
Wayne Farmer
I like these books mainly for the insight into the past and this time we get to learn a little of the Lord Mayors of London. The historical background as always is fascinating and the mystery itself is interesting enough to keep you reading. As always with Edward Marston there are quite a few coincidences that happen to Westfield's men to bring them into the plot that in real life probably wouldn't happen, but if you can forgive those then you'll find it an enjoyable read.
Vicky Thomasson
Feb 09, 2013 Vicky Thomasson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading The Trip to Jerusalem, I was saddened to believe that it was the last in the Nicholas Bracewell mysteries. Imagine my delight when I realised there are actually 16 books in this series! The Nine Giants was equally as good as the first three, if not better. I enjoyed every page from start to finish. I love the mix of history and a good murder mystery.
Emer Dunne
Apr 18, 2016 Emer Dunne rated it liked it
This is an odd one. It didn't blow me away but it kept me interested. Elizabethan fictional mystery with some historical fact mixed in. Some likeable characters and well written. An easy read that doesn't tax the brain. I'd read another of his works. :-)
Terri Edwards
Jan 09, 2012 Terri Edwards rated it liked it
Always reliably entertaining. Quirky, fun characters; and always a good plot, with journeys into some of the character's personal lives; evokes the time period descriptively and colorfully. Recommended!
Cat.
Aug 25, 2012 Cat. rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction, history
Another Elizabethan mystery which brings in the city guilds, municipal politics, eviction from the troupe's "home" at the inn and mean, nasty relatives. Oh, and hatred of foreigners. Quite good.
Arlene Allen
Oct 29, 2012 Arlene Allen rated it liked it
At least I got away from the romance for awhile...
Richard
Dec 15, 2011 Richard rated it really liked it
Nicholas Bracewell and the mayor of London. A Dutch boy sees a killing, two of Westfield’s men vie for the wife of the mayor-elect. Interesting. One of the better efforts in this series.
Webcowgirl
Jul 27, 2013 Webcowgirl rated it did not like it
Shelves: bought
Written for a 8th grade reading level, this book never missed a chance to insult my intelligence. Taking everything else by this author and binning it.
Donna
Fourth in the Nicholas Bracewell series set in Elizabethan England. Interesting information on the role of the Lord Mayor of London.
LauraLindley Roff
LauraLindley Roff rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Melissa Hedal
Melissa Hedal rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2014
Andy Barham
Andy Barham rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2016
Elly
Elly rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2014
Lise
Lise rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2014
Bunnyk
Bunnyk rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2014
Dee Green
Dee Green rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2008
Helen Francini
Helen Francini rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2013
Bret
Bret rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2013
Evelyn
Evelyn rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Roberto Ibáñez
Roberto Ibáñez rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Jane Mountford
Jane Mountford rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2015
Bess
Bess rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2010
A.F.
A.F. rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • A Play of Treachery (Joliffe the Player, #5)
  • The Fatal Fashione (Elizabeth I, #8)
  • Death in St James's Park (Thomas Chaloner, #8)
  • The Siren Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #8)
  • Face Down Under the Wych Elm (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #5)
  • Dying Room Only (Pennyfoot Hotel #11)
  • Laws in Conflict (Burren Mysteries #8)
  • A Murder of Crows (Sir Robert Carey, #5)

A pseudonym used by Keith Miles
AKA A.E. Marston

Keith Miles (born 1940) is an English author, who writes under his own name and also historical fiction and mystery novels under the pseudonym Edward Marston. He is known for his mysteries set in the world of Elizabethan theatr
More about Edward Marston...

Nicholas Bracewell (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Queen's Head