Laugh Lines

Laugh Lines

2.83 of 5 stars 2.83  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Ben Bova, best-selling and award-winning author of the "Grand Tour" and "Asteroid Wars" series, takes a sardonic look at the humorous possibilities of future technology.

The Starcrossed: Bill Oxnard, a young technological genius, had perfected true three-dimensional television, making ordinary TV obsolete. He thought he would be rich and famous -- but he hadn't realized ho...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Laugh Lines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Laugh Lines

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingThe Secret People by John WyndhamThe Man Who Sold the Moon by Robert A. HeinleinOdd John by Olaf StapledonZombie Raccoons & Killer Bunnies by Martin H. Greenberg
Worst Cover Art
263rd out of 320 books — 215 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerMidnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer
The Worst Fantasy, Sci-Fi and Horror Books
306th out of 377 books — 287 voters

More lists with this book...

Lynnda Ell
Laugh Lines only lives up to its title if you like satire. I don't. Maybe if the stories had be interesting in themselves, that would not have mattered. However one of the two book-length works was about producing a movie. It was satire about sleeze - which just added more sleeze. Not my cup of tea.

The second main feature was a satrical look at the book publishing business. While not so much about sleeze, the plot was a jumble of subplots that rotated between fantasy, sci-fi, and reality. When i...more
Joseph Gowen
I don't know if I should list this as read, since I only got halfway through, but I am done reading it regardless. It is a collection of short stories and two novellas that are supposed to be funny sci-fi. Instead I kept waiting for the jokes to come. The characters were caricatures and the dialogue was incredibly hokey. But it came with such high praise from contemporary authors on the cover! I hate to say it, but sometimes you really shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Was that sentence as pa...more
Michelle
Uch. I couldn't get through even the first story of this book. Not only is it not funny, it's just plain awful.

But what really made me slam the book shut and vow to take it back to the library post-haste is that it's RIFE with typos. I couldn't take it any more. For example, "he heaved a great sight."

One story, titled "The Supersonic Zeppelin," has a running head which reads "The Supesonic Zepplin." Inexcusable!
Cindy
Well, it was supposed to be funny, and I guess it was mildly entertaining, but that's as far as I would go. Contains 2 longer novellas and some short stories. The first novella, Starcrossed, was sort of fun, but the last one I didn't really finish, just skimmed it. My favorite story was 'The Great Moon Hoax,' which has a very different take on the whole Martian thing.
TheIron Paw
This book was only ok - I didn't read it all, Bova is a great 'science' fiction writer, but of the short stories I did read - they were cute, but not hilarious. But then I'm not really a fan of short stories. It's due back at the library tomorrow so I'm just going to move on to something else.
Shanna3113
I don't want to rate it because I only read the first part. It wasn't what I expected and no longer competes with tempting book choices, so it is being shelved as Finished.
Maybe someday.
Bill Seitz
Read mainly for CyberBooks (ebooks vs publishing industry) and StarCrossed (scifi authors vs TV industry). Lotsafun.
Martha
The short stories were okay, but the long ones were just not that interesting.
Eirin
Short stories were great, the novels not so much.
Bob
Just started this. Now finished it, not impressed
DaughterDaDa
Some really funny science fiction stories.
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Andy
Andy added it
Nov 01, 2013
Sven
Sven marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Travis
Travis added it
Oct 08, 2013
Amber Hill
Amber Hill marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Ivan
Ivan marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
Brook
Brook marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Kirk Dreiser
Kirk Dreiser marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo...more
More about Ben Bova...