The Unchosen

The Unchosen

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Ellen, Kay, and Debbie, three high school seniors who have never had a date (or any other friends), decide to change their lives.
Published 1963 by Harper and Row

To ask other readers questions about The Unchosen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unchosen

John
Sep 08, 2009 John rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good book.
Recommended to John by: my friend Juanita
I'm sure I was the only boy in Mize Elementary School that read this book in the mid 1970s. I loved this book and still do. I'm not exactly sure why; after all,it's about three high school senior girls who can't get a date. Nevertheless, I had read this book probably 100 times over the years. Nan Gilbert is a great writer and this isn't a typical young adult fiction book. I wouldn't call it a romance as much as I would a coming-of-age book. The main character, Ellen, is someone you would like to...more
Lottie
I love reading reviews written by people who admit to having read a book multiple times. I like to think serious readers are on a quest, not just to be entertained, but to understand life. When an author draws a portrait of people's lives at a particular place and time, the story sometimes needs to be read multiple times to absorb all the angles, all the nuances. I like to think it is no different for a film student to watch a film multiple times, or an art student to study a masterpiece for hou...more
Matt
A teenage coming of age story written in the 60's about three unpopular girls that decide that they're going to get boyfriends any way they can. I found it to be quite good. I also found it to be not a romance at all, as I was expecting it to be halfway into it. A good book for an unpopular teenage girl to read.
Tracey
Nov 28, 2008 Tracey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teenaged or pre-teen girls
I read this book when I was in 6th grade at Central Jr. High School (East). I was our class Librarian, in Mrs. Brummett's class. I loved this book; I think because it gave me insight into what life would be like as a teenager. It made an impact on me. I'd like to read it again.
Wendy
Jan 28, 2008 Wendy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kelly, Betsy
This is a strange book. It was written in the malt shop era, but the writing style is kind of strange, and each of the three heroines is a little bizarre. The book is almost embarrassing to read in spots, as we witness their sad attempts to fit in at high school (they make a list of boys who would possibly date them, all in at least one of three categories: brainy, shy, poor). But there's something sort of valiant about the narrator, Ellen, who doesn't give up even though she knows she's patheti...more
Erin
This was....odd. A malt-shop type book, but rather a downer (although probably more realistic than some). It reminded me more of Ruth Doan MacDougall's The Cheerleader than Betty Cavanna, Anne Emery or Beverly Cleary.

CLM
Three somewhat irritating high school friends: Ellen, Kay, and Debbie agonize about their lack of popularity, and depress any reader who perseveres with the book. Despite the melancholy subject, it is not a bad book; however, I did not reread it.
Betsy
This is one of those books I've read over and over and over. I don't know why; I wasn't one of those girls in high school, but the story obviously had great appeal for me. Maybe I just liked the descriptions of all the food. I'm shallow that way.
Lisa Mcbroom
The backdrop are three girls who can't get a date.... average Ellen, anything for attention Debbie, and intellectual Kay. It is not really a romance however more of a coming of age story in which 2 out of the three find their identity.
Rebecca
recommendation and book provided by my mom. three uncool female middle schoolers in the 60s find their own fun.

or maybe they're in high school -- i'll have to look it up. the unchosen is kind of like degrassi junior high meets an kinder, gentler, less vengeful heathers.
Brin
Brin marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Monica-Jane
Monica-Jane marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013
Althea
Althea marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
alison
alison marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
Megan
Megan added it
Feb 10, 2013
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2012
365 Bedtime Stories Champions Don't Cry Then Came November Dog for Joey 365 Bedtime Stories a Story for Every Day of the Year About the Children on What a Jolly Street (As Told By Nan Gilbert)