Start by marking “Glory in Death (In Death, #2)” as Want to Read:
Glory in Death (In Death, #2)

Glory in Death (In Death #2)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  32,138 ratings  ·  1,396 reviews
It is 2058, New York City. In a world where technology can reveal the darkest of secrets, there's only one place to hide a crime of passion-in the heart.

Even in the mid-twenty-first century, during a time when genetic testing usually weeds out any violent hereditary traits before they can take over, murder still happens. The first victim is found lying on a sidewalk in t
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published December 28th 1995 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Glory in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glory in Death

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie MeyerLast Sacrifice by Richelle Mead
Character You Most Want to Sleep With
73rd out of 3,235 books — 4,526 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Host by Stephenie MeyerCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica Roth
Best Sci-Fi/Futuristic Romance
30th out of 1,006 books — 1,141 voters

More lists with this book...

Jo ★The Book Sloth★
5 Kick-ass Stars

I'm sooo hooked on this series. I can't believe I kept postponing reading it. I would say that my review will come soon but it probably won't because I'd have to stop reading to write it.

Jan 08, 2015 Shawna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of romantic suspense, tough heroines, & mysterious, dangerous, deliciously sexy alpha heroes
Recommended to Shawna by: Mom & several GR friends
5 stars – Romantic Suspense

Okay, I think I'm officially hooked on this series. After reading and loving Naked in Death, I immediately jumped right into reading this, and it's another great book in an addictive series.

I find the futuristic elements interesting, but I like that it's not too distracting to the story and characters. Lieutenant Eve Dallas is a complex character who I sort of feel a love/hate relationship towards because her toughness, dedication to justice, and devotion to representi
Opening Line: "The dead were her business."

I originally started JD Robb’s In Death series because it was recommended to me by well… everyone. And Yes it is good. In fact I ended up liking this 2nd instalment even more then the first, however (except for Roarke) I don't totally love it either. The writing is top notch and Robb spins an easy to read, dark mystery filled with lots of interesting suspects(including Roarke again.) But I’m just not a fan of the police procedurals and therefore large p
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
View review on Under the Covers

I'm going to use this review as an excuse to post more Gandy Candy.

Opening line: “The dead were her business.”

From that first line, I was sucked in. There is something about Robb’s writing that just sucks me in completely. I love the way she describes things. I love the way the words flow and I love that there’s this sense of detachment or coldness in the overall tone of her writing. It makes the mystery of the story that much more
I'm so happy I have found another series this good. I must admit I wasn't expecting to like it this much. What makes me the most happy person on Earth is that I heard every book in this series is as good as this first 2 and as there are 30 more of them still to read I will be extremely entertained for quite a while.

For what I have read and been told, every book in this series solves a different crime while Eve's and Roarke's relationship develops. I must say that this too have become one of my a
UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick

Science Fiction for people who don't like Science Fiction!

Glory in Death is the second book in J.D. Robb’s wildly popular, futuristic, In Death series, and just like the first book, it’s an exciting, gritty, thrilling read.

The Story -

Two prominent women and a third ‘accidental’ have been found with their throats slashed, and as primary on the case, Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas has her hands full. With the list of suspects rising along with the death count, Eve is mentally and emotionally pushe
Duchess Nicole
I know this is first and foremost a murder mystery series but I can't stop thinking about Roarke. Let me get those pesky details out of the way and then commence the gushing, mnkay?

So the opening scene is once again Eve being called to the scene of a grisly murder. The chick's throat is slashed....blah blah....suspect must hate women...blah...Eve is super duper intuitive...blah, blah blah blah...lots of rich society people.....blah...reporters, policemen and detectives.

There! Necessary info out
Emily May

I intended to write a full review of this but there's not that much which needs to be said. A lot of what I mentioned in my review of Naked in Death also applies to the second novel. Excellent psychological murder mystery with a small romance story that just complements the novel as a whole and doesn't swamp it. Interesting characters, easy to read and even a dose of smut to go with it! Do you really want anything else?

Dec 08, 2009 Eastofoz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers who like a dollop of romance with their futuristic mystery novel
Overall “Glory in Death” is a good mystery/suspense story but if you’re looking for an equal balance of romance, seeing as it’s listed as « romantic suspense », you won’t get that here. The story is relatively quick paced and you have a good futuristic feel, but I kept wanting to read more about the growing intimacy between Roarke and Eve. The book is more borderline fiction than romance I thought because Robb tends to gloss over the steam a little too often and focus more on the rest of the sto ...more
 Anna (Wicked Book Blog)
While the story is initially what grabs you when you choose a book, isn't it the characters that keep you reading?

In this series, they certainly are.

The second book shows how the relationship between Eve and Roake evolves.
Eve is reluctant and scared of commitment which makes Roarke furious at most times. So you know what he does? Give her a taste of her own medicine. Yes, he's a vicious little smartass but we love him for that ;)

When things stop working or seem difficult, really all you need
P.A. Lupton
I listened to this book on audio. I don't know if it was because the narrator was so good (I read book 1) or if it was the story, but I liked this book a lot more than book 1. This is a fantastic series.

Eve is a fantastic character. She's tough, kick ass, smart, and she has hints of a troubled past. I like that the author doesn't dump a ton of information on us about her past, she gives tidbits in each book.

Roarke is sexy, arrogant, rich, and sensitive. I absolutely love him as a hero. These t
Narrator: Cristine McMurdo-Wallis

Naturally, I couldn't remember any of the 9 In Death books that I read pre-2008 and to find a review or book blurb on GR is not easy because all anyone really talks about, or remembers, or bothers with, is Roarke. It's nothing but Roarke, Roarke, Roarke, from start to finish; from one book to the next.

Long after NR stops writing the series, I and countless other In Death fans, will still be smitten with him. Today, n
Brilliant! Loved it!!

Have definitely become a fan of this series and there is soooo many more to read :)
Joy (joyous reads)
I’m finally getting around to reviewing this book. I know it’s practically from the vault, but this series is too wonderful not to talk about. Between the futuristic landscape and the suspense that took my breath away, this book/series is worth scouring the earth for. I like that the Science Fiction aspect is downplayed. Those books tend to be daunting. This series, however, combines Sci-Fi with Romantic Suspense (which, I’m a big fan of).

This book finds Eve in the middle of several murders of h
Lisa Kay
New York Police and Security Lieutenant, Eve Dallas, and international Irish billionaire, Roarke. Past, present, future - what a couple!. But this, the second chapter in their relationship, isn’t all smooth sailing. There is a compelling confrontation that bears listening to twice. Up shot? I’ll take Roarke, even hot under the collar. At the end of this eruption, Eve asks Roarke why he wants her.
“Why?” He tilted his head. “That's a tricky one. Could it be your serenity, your quiet manner, your
Tilly Slaton

At first, I was pretty irritated. I mean, seriously? I wasn’t sure what was going to happen but the way things suddenly changed, I was just a wee bit bummed.

Naked in Death was a wonderful book. Eve and Roarke shared a fun and intimate relationship. The bad guys were toast. Life was grand.

In the beginning of this book, the shit hit the fan to say the least. This isn’t a spoiler really. It’s just a .. “well okay then” moment.

“No, you never,” he interrupted coolly. “Never once risked your pride by
This second book of the In Death series continues the story of tough, feisty Lieutenant Eve Dallas, NYPD cop and sexy, handsome, supersuave, mega billionaire Irish businessman Roarke. Both have survived difficult childhoods and are attracted to the damage below the surface that they sense in each other. In this episode, two prominent women have been murdered in a similar fashion and Eve must hunt down the killer before he strikes again despite the complete absence of clues or motive. The story i ...more
Glory In Death follows Lieutenant Eve Dallas as she works to capture the person slashing successful women's throats. This was my second "In Death" book and while the murderer is fairly easy to figure out, I enjoyed the mystery plot a lot more than Innocent in Death. However, my rating for Glory In Death is entirely for the mystery because I hated the sub-plot of Eve's relationship drama with Roarke.

Basically, the characters are on different levels in their relationship. Roarke wants commitment a
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read: October 2012
It took me forever to finish it :D but it was really cool!

2nd Read: August 2014
We just met another character that we're still reading about... I love this!
Brittany B.
May 17, 2012 Brittany B. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Casual, RS-lite readers
3.5 Stars (though I almost gave it 4- until I wrote the review and realized I was disappointed in NR)

I'm sorry to my In Death friends, I'd love comments on any difference of opinion. I like the characters, Roarke is a god and Eve is seriously growing on me. But Nora Roberts rarely gives it her all.

Well, I know this is just a book. And I need to suspend disbelief a little to enjoy many of my favorite authors, series, books, movies, etc.
But serial killers are not like this at all. I don't mean
<5 Stars...I LOVED it!

Not as good as the first...but oh my it's still a 5 Star!!!

I know now that I'm in trouble with this in the world am I going to be able to read anything else now that I've started?! I'll try to make myself quit after the next one in line because I don't want to burn myself out...but HOW will I do it?!

The only concerns I have...and I mean the only (at this point) is...Is Roarke going to continue to be the suspect in every case AND where do Roarke and Eve go fr
Okay, I have to say again that I can't believe I waited so long to start this series. I. Love. It. I want to marry it. Well, Roarke. I want to marry Roarke. And Eve is awesome. I don't think I've ever really liked a heroine so much. I mean, really. How the hell can she be so damn awesome? And the lucky bitch has Roarke wrapped around her finger! Aside from them, I love the cases. I'm sure some people probably think that the series gets repetitive or monotonous, but I think that the cases Eve sol ...more
Hulya Kara Yuksel
I'm cheating my husband with ROARKE. Yeah yeah, I'm in too much trouble. :D God dammit Roarke. Why are you so cute? :)

Roarke'n elini tuttu ve derisinin sıyrıldığı yeri inceledi. "Sen uludun mu?"
Eve güldü ve birlikte parkın çıkışına yönelirken Roarke'a yaslandı. "Her şey bir yana müthiş bir partiydi."
"Hımm. Başka partilerde olacak. Ama birşey var."
"Nedir o?" Eve ellerini açıp kapadı ve tekrar rahat hareket edebildiklerini görerek sevindi. Bu ilkyardım görevlileri işlerini iyi biliyorlardı.
"Benimle evlenmeni istiyorum."
"Hı-hımm. Şey biz.."Aniden durduğunda neredeyse yere yuvarlanıyordu. Sonra ağzı şa
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
Actual rating: 4.5*

For my review of the first book, I decided to write a list of reasons why you should read this series. Since there are over 37 freaking books, I've decided to just keep adding reasons as I continue with the series. You can find the list here.

Favorite quotes:
“My late unlamented father taught me one valuable lesson. 'Boy', he would say to me in the thick brogue of a champion drunk, 'the only way to fight is to fight dirty. The only place to hit is below the belt.'”

“Fuck him."
This series continues to suck me in. Lt. Eve Dallas takes a serious turn in her relationship with the sexy Irishman Rourke - he asks her to move in! He no longer thinks he's falling in love with Eve; Roarke is now head over heels in love with her! I loved Eve struggling to reconcile her growing feelings for Roarke with her need for independence. Loved Eve confessing to the department's psych profiler that she wore one of Rourke's shirts while he was away on business...and "is that okay?" So cute ...more
5 stars

Totally enjoyed reading/listening to this and I loved the final exchange between Eve and Roarke at the end of the book - talk about laugh!

(view spoiler)

It's just so them.

Susan Ericksen is a wonderful narrator in my opinion and I'm looking forward to continuing the journey in Immortal in Death.

"You know people," she argued. "You have a way of getting inside their heads. Nothing ever surprises you."
"You do," he murmured. "Continually."

I wasn’t supposed to read this one just now but once I finished “Naked in death” I wanted to see how Eve and Roarke relationship was evolving so I opened “Glory in death” to read the beginning and got sucked in.

Like with the previous one, the book is centered on the police investigation who is, except for the end that I found rushed, well written. Here
It never gets old. Eve "giggles" more in the early books. She flips from flat eyed cop to fun loving Roarke's girlfriend almost from scene to scene. Even if she has had 10 years in as a murder cop at this point, she doesn't seem as weary as she does in a couple of years time.
  • Billionaires Prefer Blondes (Samantha Jellicoe, #3)
  • Ice Storm (Ice, #4)
  • Naked Edge (I-Team, #4)
  • Carnal Innocence
  • You Can't Hide (Romantic Suspense, #5)
  • Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6)
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)

“We're standing here, beat to shit, walking away from a crime scene where either or both of us could have bought it, and you're asking me to marry you?"
"Perfect timing.”
“Why?” He tilted his head. “That’s a tricky one. Could it be your serenity, your quiet manner, your flawless fashion sense?” It did his heart good to see her quick, amused grin. “No, I must be thinking of someone else. It must be your courage, your absolute dedication to balancing scales, that restless mind, and that sweet corner of your heart that pushes you to care so much about so many.”

“That’s not me.”

“Oh, but it is you, darling Eve.”