Start by marking “Michael's Golden Rules” as Want to Read:
Michael's Golden Rules

Michael's Golden Rules

"I've learned it takes heart to come out a winner every time, whether you win or lose."
-- Michael Jordan

Jonathan wants to win more than anything. But the Badgers haven't seen much of that lately. For Jonathan, the only good thing about the baseball season is being on the same team as his best friend, Michael. Jonathan wants to believe in himself and his team, but it's g
Published January 23rd 2007 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books

To ask other readers questions about Michael's Golden Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Michael's Golden Rules

Janie Johnson
Apr 11, 2016 Janie Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, aeverie2016
This is book 2 for my reads with Aeverie this month. We both really enjoyed this one a lot. I found that this one teaches great values to the children that read it. Values like work together as a team, support one another, and winning is not always the most important thing, putting forth the effort is what counts the most. We both really enjoyed the characters in this story also they were fun and likable. The illustrations were also done so very well and brought great excitement to the story.
Judith
A great story about friendship, sportsmanship and what it really means to be a winner. Great picture book to teach kids about theme.
Jeff Botch
Mar 26, 2013 Jeff Botch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Deloris Jordan’s book, “Michael’s Golden Rules“ is a classic baseball story that young baseball enthusiasts will surely treasure.

The story revolves around two young boys, Michael and Jonathan, who are passionate about baseball. The boys are teammates on their Little League team and have aspirations to make it to the playoffs and get to the Little League World Series.

The story begins with Jonathan striking out and feeling down about his performance. On their walk home, Jonathan, Michael and Micha
J-Lynn
Written by Michael Jordan's mother and sister with a forward by Michael himself, this book focuses on the love of baseball. Told mostly through Michael's childhood friend's perspective, Michael and Jonathan get a set of rules for baseball from Michael's uncle. The rules are:

1) know the game
6) find out what you do best
7) Find out what you need to work on
8) practice, practice, practice
Leslie
Michael Jordan's uncle shares his golden rules with him and his friend, Jack. A good message for athletes of all ages and made all the better with beautiful illustrations from Kadir Nelson.
Emily
May 28, 2008 Emily rated it it was ok
Summary (CIP): Jonathan's friend Michael, Michael's parents, and Jonathan's family help him do his best in the Badgers' big baseball game.

Review: This story falls flat and is predictable to the point of being boring. May be of interest to children into baseball, but little universal appeal. The illustrations however are stunning. Get rid of the text and you would have a wonderful wordless picture book!

SLJ and Publishers Weekly also give luke warm....to cool..reviews. SLJ says it well when it say
Lesley Burnap
Jul 29, 2016 Lesley Burnap rated it really liked it
Great for keeping sportsmanship in the game!
Abbie
Feb 08, 2015 Abbie rated it really liked it
This was a good book about working hard!
Marcia
I love sports, admire Michael Jordan, and am a huge fan of illustrator Kadir Nelson. I didn't love this book. The message was good, and I've noticed that teachers at my school check it out regularly, probably to share Uncle Jack's Golden Rules: Know the game, be a team player, practice, learn from your mistakes. But the story line is so weak, it just didn't hold my interest. Celebrity books often disappoint (they aren't writers) and that was the case for me with this one.
Paul
Jan 04, 2013 Paul rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
Written by Michael Jordan's mother and sister and illustrated by Kadir Nelson (not his strongest showing), this story comes from Jordan's youth playing baseball. The "rules" started out as his Uncle Jack's but he obviously took them as his own. Jordan is a major character in the story, but not the star, showing his love for play and the game along with his drive. The rules are instructional for everyone, but this book is going to appeal most to boys who play baseball.
Tessa
Apr 17, 2009 Tessa rated it liked it
Michael's Golden Rules is a decent sports title, but it sometimes comes across as too preachy. The "Golden Rules" are all nice sentiments, but they are not always smoothly introduced in the story. The celebrity intro from Michael Jordan will call attention to the title, along with the fact that his mother and sister wrote the story, but this book seems to fall short.
Alyse Liebovich
Nov 07, 2012 Alyse Liebovich rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
I didn't love this book, despite the intro being written by the great Michael Jordan. But, again, sports books really don't hold my attention, so it could be the perfect book for a young boy (or girl) struggling at Little League, etc.
The Reading Countess
Library books can be hard to muster enthusiasm for when they are picked by a beginning reader solely for the cover. This one was a nice lesson on why we shouldn't judge a book by its cover...
Kevin
Nov 13, 2013 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Great story with a good message for kids as well as adults. Kadir Nelson what can I say but he is an amazing illustrator. Recommend reading.
Rachel Brown
Oct 30, 2013 Rachel Brown rated it really liked it
THIS WAS A GOOD BOOK FOR YOUNG BOYS WHO WANT TO BE GREAT BALL PLAYERS, BUT MAY NOT HAVE LEARNED THE SKILLS OF THE GAME YET.
Jessica
Oct 01, 2007 Jessica rated it liked it
Good rules for baseball and life.

Kelly Reader
Kelly Reader rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Nikki Muraca
Nikki Muraca marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Carrie
Carrie added it
Aug 03, 2016
William
William rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Jasmin
Jasmin marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Noah Edwards
Noah Edwards rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Natasha Rice
Natasha Rice rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016