Start by marking “Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)” as Want to Read:
Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)

Loyalty in Death (In Death #9)

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  22,179 Ratings  ·  681 Reviews
An unknown bomber is stalking New York City. He is sending Eve Dallas letters promising to wreak terror and destruction among the corrupt masses. And when his cruel web of deceit and destruction threatens those she cares for most, Eve fights back. It's her city. It's her job and it's hitting too close to home.

Librarian's note: See alternate cover edition for this ISBN here
Published December 1st 2004 by Piatkus Books (first published April 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Loyalty in Death, please sign up.

Monica Kelly I started in the middle of the series last year. This year I decided to start from the beginning, start with book 1 and work my way through the…moreI started in the middle of the series last year. This year I decided to start from the beginning, start with book 1 and work my way through the series. Best decision I made, relationship and back stories make sense and I feel as if I'm part of the family. Every character matters, when someone gets hurt or falls in love I laugh and cry. This is a great series.(less)
Iain With your eyes (Hardcover / paperback / e-book) or ears (audiobook).

Mo
Oct 29, 2016 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read. Honestly, the mystery/suspense kinda went over my head in this one. I wanted more of Eve and Roarke but I don't think that is going to happen in this series... she has her job and the criminal activities are to the fore of the books. Eve and Roarke are in there, to whet our appetites.

Out of the dark, out of the delicate mist, the lady rose up.

"What's this?"
"I think it's a very sick, mutant rose. I bought it for you."
It was so rare to see Roarke taken by surprise, she nearly
Phrynne
Jul 12, 2013 Phrynne rated it it was amazing
Number nine in my reread of this series and I had seriously forgotten how good these earlier books were. I was amazed in this one at how involved Roarke was in Eve's work having thought this was something which developed later in the series. Loved the relationship between Roarke and Eve ( reach for the tissues!) and laughed out loud at all the Eve/Roarke and Eve/Peabody interactions. An easy five stars:)
Jilly
Jul 12, 2016 Jilly rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I liked the personal story with the side characters better than the actual storyline of the bomber. I don't know why the bombing thing didn't do it for me as well as the past murderers, but I think it is because the serial killer books felt less impersonal. The bombings were just giant catastrophes that felt sad, but not personal at all. Plus, the Twin Towers were mentioned as still being there. And, it was a story about bombing monuments and such. Kind of depressing.

On a less depressing note: m
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
I loved this book... I really did! I loved the intriguing story, the unbelievable plot twists and all that "cop work".

But I hated both Roarke and Eve in some parts of the book. They both have a problem with boundaries....as in, they have none! Eve had no business trying to run Peabody's and McNab's personal life(something she also did with Peabody and Charles). The girl needs to learn that some things she needs to get her nose out of!

And Roarke should have more respect for Eve's job and only int
Catherine
First off, I have to thank the author for finally bringing all that sexual tension in between Peabody and McNab to a boil. And in such a dramatic way! The fact that Feeney witnessed it (and was disturbed by it) was simply icing on the cake for me. Such a hilarious scene. I simply loved them in this book. :D

We get introduced to a new character here. Zeke, Peabody's brother comes to town. I loved that we got a deeper look at Peabody and her family, but he was a little too childlike for me. I didn'
♥Sharon♥
Jan 23, 2017 ♥Sharon♥ rated it it was amazing

Still disorganized with no time for a proper review.

LOVED IT. LOVED IT. LOVED IT. LOVED IT. LOVED IT. LOVED IT.

You get the point.

❤ Roarke & Eve.....everything about them.

and

❤ Peabody & McNab.....these two make me laugh.

Jun 02, 2017 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that part way through this book I was deciding if this was a series I would give up. Facing the crisis that she did in the last book, I thought Eve would grow as a person, but nope, she was back to her old bullying ways. She continues her rudeness and everyone in her life just accepts it. Why? I just wasn't sure that I could read 30 +more books with a lead character that I dislike so much.
Well a funny thing happened about halfway through. Eve actually went too far and Roarke actu
Mei
May 22, 2017 Mei rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Review to come!
Carolyn
Dec 22, 2015 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, futuristic
Another excellent instalment in this great series. Eve and Roarke have been married 6 months now are their relationship has really started to cement however Eve still suffers from some insecurities that cause her to give Roarke a hard time and she also dislikes him getting too involved in her work. Despite all that they make a great team and Roarke's help is invaluable when time is of the essence and the obtaining of sensitive data or new fangled equipment is involved.

In this volume of the serie
Lisa Kay
“I ♥ Roarke” tee-shirt from www.jdrobb.com
description

★★★★★ Okay, I can’t believe I read the paperback instead of listening to the fabulous Ms. Ericksen on audiobook, but I did. I had to have my Roarke fix, LOL! Some of you may know, I did the stupidest thing and, after listening to the first few chapters, erased my library copy of the downloadable audiobook of this one from my iPod/Touch, putting me back on the waitlist at #5. I checked the stacks – and even the hardcopies were checked out! Eep! So, I h
Lauren
Loyalty in Death
4 Stars

A routine investigation into the homicide of a businessman is interrupted by a series of bombings that hit close to home when the perpetrator targets Roarke's holdings and sends taunting letters to Eve.

While the bomb plot is all too realistic in this day and age (perhaps even more so post 9/11), and the case has some incredibly intense moments, the villains are fairly obvious and the outcome predictable. That said, the character development and dialogue make this a series
Priyanka
Sep 17, 2014 Priyanka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My first J.D. Robb and I loved it! It's Nora Robert under the penname. As everyone already knows, she's a fabulous writer!
It just took me to my childhood days when I used to read Nancy Drew and fall asleep. Just gives that feeling here.
It's a future based series with Eve, a bad-ass cop and Roarke? He's just amazing at whatever he does, which is, being nosy and helping his wife!
Kjen
Always awesome...no matter how many times I read it! This is early in the series, and Eve and Roarke are still 'feeling out the boundaries'...so to speak. This makes for a perfect mix of tension and passion. Omg...the ending on top of the Statue of Liberty never gets old...epic awesomeness abounds, indeed!
MelaDWolf
May 23, 2017 MelaDWolf rated it really liked it
In review of last book I said I can't give this series less than 5 stars, and here I am giving it four.
Sassafrass
Let me first say that being able to switch back and forth between my kindle book and my audible audiobook is such an addictive thing.

Ok, now that that's out of the way, I'll get to this review. I had put this series aside for about 2 years and now I'm getting back into it. I read the first 8 books pretty much back to back and I think I got burned out. Now that I've had some distance from it and I'm returning, I know why I devoured them so quickly when I first started.

I absolutely loved this. I
Shanna
Feb 10, 2015 Shanna rated it really liked it
I get why people keep coming back for more. Listening to these audiobooks is actually addicting I can't even work sometimes if I don't hear these characters. So I enjoyed so many things about this installment. Firstly Peabody's brother comes to visit and we get to see a whole different side to her. Also, her love life heats up, and though I saw it coming I want a lot more before they end (or don't end cause I like them together) I just think Peabody is such a fun character.

The main murder myste
Elvan
Jun 06, 2010 Elvan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, audiobooks
Another favorite as much because of the Hollywood ending as the case. Peabody's backstory gets fleshed out a bit more when we get to meet her brother Zeke and learn a bit more about Freeagers and their philosophy. Her first bounce with McNabb is a light bit of entertainment to keep the massive body count from becoming too depressing. The whole story is constructed well. I felt a bit like Peabody when I first read it, trying to figure out who the bad guys were and why, like I was always a step be ...more
Lisazj1
4.5 stars. NR/JD Robb manages to pull off the impossible with this series, because it never gets old. Not just between Roarke and Eve *RAWR* but with all of the other characters as well. Each of them are just as important to this world as the other, and despite Eve's best efforts to the contrary, they're her family. And she absolutely does suck at expressing their importance to her.

Though Eve and Roarke together always manage to tug at my heartstrings, this time it was Eve and Peabody who made
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
[image error]

Loyalty in Death has one of the best endings in so far in the series! It kept me on my toes and got my heart jackhammering in my chest! But before I talk about the ending, let’s start from page one...

My favourite cop, Lieutenant Eve Dallas has a murder case where a wife has literally screwed her husband over. When Lisbeth literally drills her cheating husband to a wall with one of his power tools, Eve doesn’t think her life could get worse. But then she starts getting these suspicio
ElaineY
This installment just didn't engage me like the others did. It wasn't bad in that I doubt Robb could ever write s bad In Death book but I didn't enjoy it as I did the others.

It may be entirely my fault, though. I brought it along to read during a weekend seminar retreat and was just too busy to concentrate on the book. I was tired and constipated and Eve really irked me in this book.

I did enjoy seeing McNab and Peabody getting it on together, finally, but the evil plot-evil group thing felt very
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
*Reread in October, 2016. Another good one in the In Death series! I found this case to be intense & complicated. As always, I find Eve's mind fascinating as she works through cases. I enjoyed meeting some of Peabody's family with her brother's visit as she is easily my favorite of the "side" characters. The character relationship development is ever evolving and my favorite part of this series. Roarke is . . . simply Roarke - Perfect! A Must Read!
 Anna (Wicked Book Blog)
Literally bombastic ;)
Sneaky and violent, is what gets Eve's juices going. Teamed with the ever loyal aide Peabody and her uber sexy husband, the Lieutenant saves New York from destruction at the hands of yet another lunatic. In this book, we get to experience being almost blown away a few times as well as get a lesson at deception and treachery. Well, for her? Just another day in paradise.
Ally72
Aug 02, 2009 Ally72 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-d-robb
This is another fantastic installment in the "In Death" series. Roarke and Eve keep are terrific (once again) and I especially loved this one because we got to see more of Peabody's character. These books just keep getting better and I am not even half way done with the series...Woo hoo!!!
☀Rachael☀
Jan 03, 2015 ☀Rachael☀ rated it it was amazing
Awesome another roller coaster ride with Eve!
Anita
Feb 21, 2017 Anita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely the best. This book was non-stop action from the first page and the ending was one for the ages. Add a the hot romance of Eve and Roarke and that Peabody and McNab finally have a go and you have the best book in the series, so far. This book was written before 9/11 and was very prophetic in its' themes and depiction. Like Tom Clancy's books, this one sends chills down the spine.

It started with the snitch who was worried about The Fixer. Soon Eve is on the scent of a terrorist group w
Iris
Dec 30, 2016 Iris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
“Heaven wouldn’t have either of us.”

This book was very intense. Considering all the bombing and terrorist attacks that have happened in the past, this brought awful memories.

We have a bit of two stories happening at the same time. We have the death of a man named J.C. Branson, killed by his girlfriend after she thought he was cheating on him. The woman won't spend much time in jail, so Lieutenant Eve Dallas decides to investigate her a little more.
At the same time, Officer Peabody's brother Ze
Cata
Apr 03, 2012 Cata rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Nós somos Cassandra.

Assim começa e acaba cada mensagem que Eve recebe de um grupo terrorista que ameaça explodir marcos importantes de Nova Iorque, assassinando indiscriminadamente centenas de pessoas. E esta única frase deu-me arrepios de cada vez que a li...

Ao contrário dos livros anteriores em que a tenente Eve Dallas se focava em resolver homicidios interligados (e, de certa forma, mais pessoais), neste livro ela terá de se focar em resolver não só dois homicidios que aparentemente nada têm
Boundless Book Reviews
Thus far, I haven’t listened to anything in this series below 5 Boundless Stars. The narration is brilliant and the stories are so entertaining they suck you in and you don’t want to put it down. Ericksen has a way of given each character their perfect little nuances. The best part, nine books in the recurring characters have their own core character and voice, that has remained the same throughout. It’s brilliant! If anyone was considering getting into audiobook narration these are perfect exam ...more
J.D. Robb : Loyalty In Death Buddy Read - Oct. 2016 68 42 Jul 15, 2017 04:05AM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Loyalty In Death (Jan. 2014) SPOILER ZONE 126 71 Jul 15, 2014 09:45AM
Readers of Kindle...: Loyalty in Death #9 3 9 Feb 10, 2012 03:22AM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • Billionaires Prefer Blondes (Samantha Jellicoe, #3)
  • Fatal Justice (Fatal, #2)
  • Death of a Pirate King (The Adrien English Mysteries, #4)
  • Force of Nature (Troubleshooters, #11)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Secrets in Death, on sale September 2017, is the 45th e ...more
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 46 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)

“I know you love me, but I don't know why. I look at you, and I just can't get why it's me. Every time I get my balance, I lose it again. Because it shouldn't be me, and I think it'd kill me if you ever figured that out.” 3 likes
“How do you suppose they know the sheep are virgins?” 1 likes