Blank-133x176
Social Psychology

David G. Myers

Social Psychology

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  27 reviews
This fifth edition of Social Psychology by David Myers marks yet another ground-breaking revision of the best-selling text for the social psychology market. The text aims to offer an engaging,state-of-the-art introduction to the science of social psychology. It features playful and fluid prose,embedded scientific social psychology on the intellectual tradition of the liber...more
Published (first published January 1st 1983)

Gita Satar
Really this text isn't only for those who's studying psychology (particularly social psychology). It's got the little details that makes you want to keep reading, and much more. Honestly, I rarely get that from a textbook. :D Myers is my definite favorite and, I imagine, a great educator.
Holly
So far, this is my favorite subject in psychology. I love this text book and that probably makes me a huge dork. It was witty and fun. I read chapters I didn't even have to, which makes me a huge nerd too.
Kaliseviltwin
May 29, 2008 Kaliseviltwin rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not many people
Recommended to Kaliseviltwin by: Dr. Jamie Newton
Oy vey. This textbook is dense. It made me feel dense. And I don't mean because the concepts are so deep. I mean that the pages are HUGE, the typeface is small, and Myers must pack seventy researcher names into every paragraph. Seriously uninteresting presentation of some very interesting concepts.

The textbook is not so well organized. There is a chapter "table of contents" at the beginning of each chapter, but each chapters ends with an "op-ed" piece by Myers on how we as students can make the...more
Amelia
Chapter 1 - Introducing Social Psychology - generously provided free of charge for https://www.coursera.org/course/socia...
Maria
Interesting subject, excellent textbook.
Jessica
For a text book this one is well written and almost entertaining to read. Psychology is a fascinating subject and when you study things about human tendency, it makes you realize just how much you fall in that category. The book has large margins with vocabulary definitions next to where the word is used in the text, lots of pictures and captions to illustrate the point, and plenty of comics to read. It is a readable text book, if you're into that sort of reading... I would reccommend Myers to a...more
Chelsea
I didn't read this all the way through, but I did read through a good majority of the book.

I was very impressed with the way the chapters were set up. Sometimes they were a bit lengthy, but they delved into some really interesting topics in social psychology and backed many of the things they were saying up with legitimate research studies and good data.

I might be a bit biased because I like the subject material, but I think the book read really interesting and I was not bored very often while...more
Hans Ollaiver
Svart, stor, paperback.
Amal Shoeib
I've been reading this book as a reading assignment for the course Social Psychology on Coursera and I'm telling you explicitly "I AM NOT THE SAME PERSON ANYMORE"
There are so many lessons I learned throughout the journey on this book that I can hardly write here. I've already assigned a specific notebook to grasp all the book's points
I am over the moon happy because I found this one!
I can literally see through people and understand different cultures!
A MUST READ!!!!!!!!
Burcu
Too much sociology to little psychology to my taste.
Steve Curll
Dec 29, 2011 Steve Curll rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students only (Cost $136- for2011 copy. Teaching 1996, bought 2005 $1.00 -Abebooks.com
What can I Say? Its a Textbook! Read it this week in Preparation of teaching this college course. Actually, Myers is the best writer of psych textbooks out there, and he makes this topic quite interesting(If you like this sort of thing- To quote bugs Bunny, " Oh well, Its a Living") When the class has to read 1/2 of it in 8 weeks, I wonder if they will complain.
Eric Troy
Despite the review above from the bitter college student, this is actually one of the more accessible textbooks on the subject, and a good one for a layperson. I've never known a student to like their textbook and I've never known a textbook without flaws, but I found this one easier to follow than the others I have on the subject.
Broodingferret
As textbooks go, this guy's are quite good. He covers a wide breadth of the given subject matter, he ties together concepts in clear and understandable ways, and he shows real-world applications for the subject. If ever you want to brush-up on psychology, Myers is a good guy to read.
Annie Walden
Again, this has more to do with the course than the textbook, but I liked the commentary from the author. I felt he used decent examples. The book was structured well.
Fran
We're required to read from this book in our Coursera Social Psychology course and so far, I'm entertained. No doubt it's very educational.
L.
By far my favorite textbook of my college career. It kills me that this book was lost in the mail on my way home from school.
Shappi
just for the heck of it. Some of this is common knowledge at this point (group theory, etc) but interesting nonetheless.
Sean Brown
The best psychology textbook author ever, in my opinion, continues on with an amazingly relateable and amusing title.
Franziska
This was not only a great textbook, it was just overall really fun to read. Well designed, and very applicable.
April Rose
Informative, bloated, at times unclear. Taking the comprehensive final exam tonight.
sara
one of the few textbooks i actually read cover to cover..fell in love w/ social psych...
Haifa
Read selected chapters for a coursera class, loved most of it.
Christian
Very well written - accessible...memorable examples.
Aryel Reed

I love this book. I'm going to read it again!
Pritesh
it made me think what i am & what i am not
Jessica Mae Stover
Jessica Mae Stover is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2014
Nehal
Nehal marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Anthony Quattrochi
Anthony Quattrochi marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
  • Biopsychology
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • Biological Psychology
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • The Vogue® Knitting Stitchionary Volume Three: Color Knitting: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue® Knitting Magazine
  • The Oxford Companion to the Mind
  • Sociology
  • Life-Span Development
  • Cognitive Neuroscience
  • Forty Studies That Changed Psychology: Explorations into the History of Psychological Research
  • Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • How To Think Straight About Psychology (8th Edition)
  • The Psychology of Achievement
  • The Discovery of Being: Writings in Existential Psychology
  • Outsiders
  • Roget's Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases (Reference Books)
  • Social Psychology
  • Sexuality and the Psychology of Love
David G. Myers is a professor of Psychology at Hope College in Michigan, and the author of 17 books, including popular textbooks entitled Psychology, Exploring Psychology, Social Psychology and several general-audience books dealing with issues related to Christian faith as well as scientific psychology.

More about David G. Myers...
Psychology Pursuit of Happiness Exploring Social Psychology Exploring Psychology, in Modules What God Has Joined Together? A Christian Case for Gay Marriage