Start by marking “Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi Script” as Want to Read:
Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi Script

Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi Script

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This unique book opens the door to the fundamentals of reading and writing a language with a non-Roman alphabet. The interactive, accessible approach to learning presented in "Teach Yourself Hindi Script guides you through lessons and exercises based on real-life situations and appeals to the student and tourist alike.
Published October 11th 2000 by McGraw-Hill/Contemporary (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi Script, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi Script

Claire S
Jan 09, 2009 Claire S rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Initial learners of Hindustani
Love this book! It held my hand as I was just first learning how to write Devanagari script, was very simple and reassuring. The only thing is, for the conjuncts, the presentation was much less useful. There were many of them in a small space, no information about how to draw them, not big enough (for me) to see clearly. So I was frustrated at that. But the handwriting samples at the back were great, etc.. - all in all a great investment.
Christopher
Rupert Snell's TEACH YOURSELF BEGINNER'S HINDI SCRIPT is a friendly introduction to Devanagari, the script used to write Hindi and Sanskrit. Whenever learning a language with a different writing system, I personally always find it helpful to use a separate preliminary book to get up to speed with the writing system, that way when I'm working with my main textbook, I don't feel like my unfamiliarity with the writing system is holding me back from fully absorbing the lessons. Snell's book works qu ...more
Breanna
For anyone learning Hindi this book is FANTASTIC! You will be writing in no time and your reading in Devanagari script will improve by leaps and bounds, we are talking a matter of weeks! Of course you have to practice.
Ruben
This book very clearly presents the Devanagari script. The exercises are excellent practice. It's not limited to the actual writing system; good grammar and historical info is sprinkled throughout.
Terri
I read it, but I'm not finished with it. This is an excellent book on the syllabary, and I'll be studying it for quite some time.
E
A very, very clear introduction to devanagari.
Hans Ollaiver
Jul 23, 2013 Hans Ollaiver marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: språk
Vit.
Jenny's Book Life
Jenny's Book Life marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Alibaba Lumumba
Alibaba Lumumba marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Abdullah
Abdullah marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Laura Green
Laura Green marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Olga
Olga marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Mirza Rizwan
Mirza Rizwan marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Ethan Bagley
Ethan Bagley marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Happy Life
Happy Life marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Corinne Spangler
Corinne Spangler marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Aditya Singh
Aditya Singh marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Olga
Olga marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Dela
Dela marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Aaron Benarroch
Aaron Benarroch marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
cheryl
cheryl marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Pynbianglang K'Umnuid
Pynbianglang K'Umnuid marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Phuongmda
Phuongmda marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Rishik Sharma
Rishik Sharma marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Prince Narang
Prince Narang marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
  • The Oxford Hindi-English Dictionary
  • Teach Yourself Sanskrit
  • First Spanish Reader: A Beginner's Dual-Language Book
  • Limits of Language: Almost Everything You Didn't Know You Didn't Know about Language and Languages
  • Student's Vegetarian Cookbook, Revised: Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegetarian Recipes
  • Korea
  • English as She Is Spoke: Being a Comprehensive Phrasebook of the English Language, Written by Men to Whom English was Entirely Unknown
  • The Ultimate Bar Book: The Comprehensive Guide to Over 1,000 Cocktails
  • A Course in Phonetics [With CDROM]
  • My Dateless Diary: An American Journey
  • Creating Poetry
  • 501 French Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses and Moods in a New Easy-To-Learn Format, Alphabetically Arranged
  • Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs
  • Landour Days: A Writer's Journal
  • The Self-Healing Cookbook:  Whole Foods To Balance Body, Mind and Moods
  • 501 Must-Read Books
  • Practice Makes Perfect: Spanish Verb Tenses
  • Don't Let the Goats Eat the Loquat Trees: The Adventures of an American Surgeon in Nepal
Teach Yourself Hindi Teach Yourself Hindi and English Dictionary: Hindi-English/English-Hindi Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi (Book Only) Teach Yourself Hindi Conversation (3cds + Guide) Hindi And Urdu Since 1800: A Common Reader