Start by marking “The Debt Collector (Sonora Blair, Book 4)” as Want to Read:
The Debt Collector (Sonora Blair, Book 4)

The Debt Collector (Sonora Blair #4)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  173 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
âNo survivors,â Sonora Blair said to herself as she passed through the front door of a neat suburban home ... and entered a scene of horror: a family caught in the middle of an ordinary day, caught by a killerâs rage. Then Sonora found the dying mother huddled under her bed, and heard her last words: âTwo men. And the Angel.â

Within forty-eight hours, Sonoraâs fellow detect
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published November 6th 2001 by Dell (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Debt Collector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Debt Collector

Angie
Mar 28, 2010 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, suspense
Falina
Dec 05, 2015 Falina rated it liked it
I enjoy mysteries/thrillers, but I never have much to say about them. They are a reliable form of entertainment that generally follow a pattern and I don't take much away from most of them. The Debt Collector was pretty good. I enjoyed the dynamic between Sonora and her partner, and appreciated the realism of her being a homocide detective stressed to the edge of sanity.
Kristine
Jul 29, 2014 Kristine rated it liked it
It was good...read like an episode of a cop show.
I wasn't super familiar with some of the characters since this is book four of the Sonora Blair series and I hadn't read the others.
This is one of those "I need something to read so I'll try this" books. Entertaining enough, and I might read others in the series, but I wouldn't rush to put them on hold.
Nancy
Dec 11, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This well written police procedural holds you attention to the end.
Lulu Astor
Sep 08, 2014 Lulu Astor rated it really liked it
This was my first book by Ms. Hightower and it's right up my literary alley. Love smartass detectives, love murder mysteries, and I love humor injected into dark subject matter. Small spoiler alert: when the crazy lady the police are interviewing says she's laying down her karmic burden and then later another cop comes up to Sonora and asks where the woman put the karmic burden so he doesn't trip over it… couldn't stop giggling. I liked Sonora enough to read another one. Nice writing especially ...more
Aileen
Mar 21, 2010 Aileen rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this, my introduction to Lynn Hightower's Sonora Blair series, albeit about the third or fourth in the list. Very slick story, likeable main characters and the pace kept up throughout the book. I didn't see the ending coming either. I only wish I hadn't picked it up to read at this precise time though, it was far too soon after reading Linwood Barclay's Too Close to Home. Another family slaughtered, very similar vein. But it didn't put me off, and I'll be looking for the others in the ...more
Eileen Engel
Oct 04, 2014 Eileen Engel rated it it was amazing
Loved It
Arlene Allen
Feb 06, 2013 Arlene Allen rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I had forgotten how much I loved Lynn Hightower, her lyrical, magically descriptive prose, and characters so real you would swear you knew them, or someone just like them. Sonora's inner struggle and emotional vulnerability make her a breath of fresh air, a relief from the stereotypical woman super sleuth. It's time to hunt down some more, to continue to renew my affection for this masterful writer.
Dianne
Sep 24, 2009 Dianne rated it liked it
Excellent novel which I read in about a 24-hour period, it was so engrossing. Fast read. Murder mystery. What I liked best is the author’s descriptions of mothering, which mirror mine. I found myself thinking, “I could’ve written that.” Very honest. The murder scene was gruesome, of course, but not so much that I couldn’t stand it.
Jenn
Jan 25, 2011 Jenn rated it really liked it
There were times where it would have helped to read the books prior to this one. Eventually it would be revealed as to what those pieces were referring to...like Keaton. I did enjoy this one as it had quite a few mysterious pieces and gripping action. I'd like to read more to see how the characters develop further.
Angie crosby
Oct 29, 2009 Angie crosby rated it it was ok
Shelves: alex, suspense
Tamiya Shane
Aug 10, 2011 Tamiya Shane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
i liked this book alot. i liked how fast pace it was and how detailed it was. i really like the way the writer made it hard for u to know for sure who was behind what was going on. i also enjoyed the twists and turns. good read.
Maurean
Jun 07, 2008 Maurean rated it it was ok
This was pretty good...a well-written mystery, with engaging characters, a fast moving plot, and very vivid descriptions (even if she does believe shotguns have 'bullet casings' instead of shells) that drew me into the story.
Shirley
Jan 25, 2010 Shirley rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This book got better as I got into it. And I did enjoy some of the philosophy that was part of it, a good insight into characters and their motivations and the impact of their experiences on their behavior.
Kathy Crow
Jul 09, 2014 Kathy Crow rated it really liked it
This book captured me from the beginning and held my attention all the way through. Strong female protagonist, gritty story line, deft prose: what more could one want from a mystery?
Kassie
Mar 13, 2011 Kassie rated it it was ok
Eh. Just eh. Decent writing, mediocre mystery plot, solid main character, just not engaging enough for me to read the rest of the series.
Mim
Mar 15, 2013 Mim rated it really liked it
Love Lynn Hightower's writing style and main character so much that I am going to read another book she wrote.
Mich
May 23, 2008 Mich rated it really liked it
woman finds out dad isnt what he was cracked up to be.. all of her books are good, this one doesnt disapoint
Olaf Thunderfoot
Feb 26, 2016 Olaf Thunderfoot rated it really liked it
I need to look for the rest of this series.
Pauline
May 15, 2009 Pauline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have really enjoyed this series of books.
Sherre
Jan 06, 2011 Sherre added it
good fast paced good ending
Alisa
Sep 30, 2008 Alisa rated it liked it
Easy reading crime drama.
Dennis
Dennis rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Patty
Patty rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Dani Dean
Dani Dean rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
MVB
MVB added it
Mar 28, 2016
Connie Byrne
Connie Byrne rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Taylor Henkle
Taylor Henkle marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
  • Candyland
  • The Ice Maiden (Britt Montero, #8)
  • Into the Fire
  • The Death Pit
  • Coward's Kiss
  • Dogs of God
  • Tart Noir
  • Over Tumbled Graves (Caroline Mabry, #1)
  • Revenge of Innocents (Carolyn Sullivan, #4)
  • God Is a Bullet
  • All Fall Down
  • Shadows Still Remain
  • Fruits of the Poisonous Tree (Joe Gunther #5)
Lynn Hightower grew up in Kentucky, and graduated from the University of Kentucky, where she studied creative writing with Wendell Berry and earned a degree in Journalism. She also teaches novel writing in the Writer’s Program at UCLA. Survival jobs include writing television commercials, catering waitress, and bartender for one day.

Her books have been included in the New York Times List of Notabl
More about Lynn S. Hightower...

Sonora Blair (4 books)
  • Flashpoint (Sonora Blair, #1)
  • Eyeshot (Sonora Blair, #2)
  • No Good Deed (Sonora Blair, #3)