Start by marking “Satan's Lambs” as Want to Read:
Satan's Lambs

Satan's Lambs (Lena Padget series #1)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  60 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Lena Padget was a mild-mannered grad student in a quiet Kentucky town until her sister was brutally murdered, and everything changed. Over the seven years that the killer has been in prison, Lena has honed her anger to a razor's edge, working as a private-eye for women too scared to help themselves. But with her sister's killer out of jail -- and high on the twisted belief ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Felony & Mayhem (first published June 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Satan's Lambs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Satan's Lambs

Elizabeth Means
Satan's Lambs by Lynn S. Hightower
fearless female private investigator in the South takes on a satanic cult that practices human sacrifice in this gripping Shamus Award–winning mystery.

Seven years ago Lena Padget’s life exploded when Jeff Hayes, her devil-worshipping brother-in-law, killed her sister and two-year-old nephew. The horrific double-murder hardened the once-gentle Kentucky native and compelled her to leave graduate school in order to help protect abused and endangered women from human monsters.

Now Hayes and his s
Mallory Heart Reviews
Review: SATAN'S LAMBS by Lynn Hightower

Definitely not for the faint of heart, SATAN'S LAMBS is a high-powered detective/metaphysical/psychological study, not amiss for the fact that it's original publication was in 1993, before the era of cell phones and before widespread home computer use. In context, it doesn't seem bewildering when the protagonists must hunt a pay phone, because the storyline flows so smoothly and definitely captures the reader's attention. The author adds a plethora of sceni
Josh
Apr 02, 2013 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, crime, read_2013
SATAN’S LAMBS is more police procedural than PI yet this off balance of investigation and blind luck leads to an interesting array of characters, leads, and unfortunate events. Lena Padget, is a smart and sassy PI who has a somewhat undefined relationship with the law by virtue of her romantic encounters with Detective Mendez. Like any PI novel, the hardnosed dick has some form of interaction with the boys in blue, and in this case is more between sheets than competing for justice.

SATAN’S LAMBS
Cindy McBride
Jul 11, 2016 Cindy McBride rated it really liked it
A chilling foray into satanic cult depravity, this book will make your skin crawl. It doesn't provide overly-graphic descriptions of the atrocities performed by the cult members, but rather leads you "gently" into the madness and allows your imagination to run wild. Characters are vividly drawn; so much so that you are truly emotionally invested in the plot. On more than one occasion, I found myself suspicious of certain individuals, and questioning their motivations... that's a sure-fire way to ...more
Rob Kitchin
Aug 10, 2012 Rob Kitchin rated it liked it
It took me quite a while to get into Satan’s Lambs. Hightower writes proficiently, but the story took some time to develop and whilst the characters were well drawn it wasn’t until well into the book that I started to identify with them. My feeling was that the first half of the book spent too much time trying to set out the context for the story and flesh out the characters and their relationship with one another. In the second half of the book there was a better balance between description, ac ...more
Donna
Feb 09, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick moving mystery. Catches you from the beginning and keeps you hanging.
Anthony Kufner
signed
Kathleen
Jan 13, 2009 Kathleen rated it liked it
I hope I may be forgiven for not remembering much about this book, since it's been 15 years since I read it. It's a detective novel by one of the people who belonged to the Science Fiction and Fantasy Workshop which I ran for more than 15 years and for which I put out a monthly newsletter. I stopped with issue #300 a few years ago.

What I recall is that this is a horror plus mystery novel (or maybe vice versa) and that it was well-written with an interesting sleuth.
Arlene Allen
Oct 28, 2012 Arlene Allen rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Once upon a time, Lynn Hightower was my idol. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED her Alien Blues series and so wish they were still around.

This is a mainstream mystery/thriller, not science fiction, still excellent, but Ms. Hightower is never one to pull punches, she is graphic and brutal as the situation calls for.

It's beyond me why she never became as huge as Faye Kellerman or Laura Lippman, or Karin Slaughter. She paved the way, and I miss her books.
Elizabeth
Nov 13, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: pi, kentucky
The tension starts early in this novel as a killer is released from jail and announces his intention to complete a mission by killing Lena Padgett the sister and aunt of the original victims. More tension is piled on as a child is taken foe evil purposes. Take your Xanax before you start of just skip to the end and see what happens.
Melodie
Apr 27, 2011 Melodie rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2011
I read some other books by this author some years ago and they were pretty good. I'm figuring this might have been one of the first things she ever wrote as it was pretty bad. Plus the printing was awful! But it filled a hole I had in a board challenge!
Katie
May 31, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
Easy read. Good storyline. It ended a bit quickly, but was engaged in the story the whole way through.
Jan
Dec 03, 2012 Jan rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012

I couldn't finish this book - my tastes must have changed ...
Dee
Jan 06, 2010 Dee rated it liked it
A gory tale of detectives and devil worshipers. It was a fast read.
Sween
Sween marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Patty
Patty added it
Jul 27, 2016
Jimmy Fly
Jimmy Fly marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Nola
Nola marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Sage
Sage marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Hazel Stanton
Hazel Stanton marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Nathan Thompson
Nathan Thompson marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Trina Baxley
Trina Baxley rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Chandré Louw
Chandré Louw marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Kathleen Kelly
Kathleen Kelly marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Victoria O'Hearn
Victoria O'Hearn marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Fern B
Fern B rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2016
Leshardin
Leshardin marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Lynn Hightower grew up in Kentucky, and graduated from the University of Kentucky, where she studied creative writing with Wendell Berry and earned a degree in Journalism. She also teaches novel writing in the Writer’s Program at UCLA. Survival jobs include writing television commercials, catering waitress, and bartender for one day.

Her books have been included in the New York Times List of Notabl
More about Lynn S. Hightower...

Lena Padget series (3 books)
  • Fortunes of the Dead