The Fetch

The Fetch

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A young boy with amazing--and incredibly dangerous--psychokinetic powers is able to travel into the past and, with guidance from a shadowy spirit, return with artifacts of great value. But, unknown to him ir his family, each trip into the past brings him closer to a terrifying fate, a fate that only a psychic investigator may be able to change.
Published September 10th 1992 by Sphere (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Fetch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fetch

Chris
The Fetch (US: Unknown Regions, taken from a subtitle of Lavondyss) revisits one of Holdstock's favourite tropes, the wood as gateway to other times, places and parallel worlds (as in the Mythago Wood series) but on this occasion the tale is set within the undergrowth which has grown up in a disused chalk quarry on the English south coast. The action revolves around the boy Michael, adopted by a middle-class professional couple, who brings with him a maelstrom of psychic activity, changing their...more
Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else]
Apr 16, 2012 Ruby Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] marked it as unread-but-acquired
By far the most hilarious book cover EVER.
Lis
Barbara Gordon
Holdstock is excellent at creating an atmosphere of the uncanny and ancient, evoking the fears and beliefs that lie in the marrow of our bones, from a time before words. This story, of a strange child adopted by two rather shallow and self-absorbed academics, who retreats into an invented but increasingly powerful mythological world, involved me closely most of the way. As his father discovers and exploits the boy's power to 'fetch' (the title is a rather clever pun) antiquities out of the past,...more
Myridian
After a number of the books I've read recently, it was nice to fall into something that is really an escapist fantasy novel. This is the story about a boy who from nearly the moment of his birth begins to have strange, unexplained phenomena happen around him. The feeling of tension building is lovely. As with many stories that have a horror/thriller element, once the characters were on their way to solving the problems, the story lost some of its steam, but still delightful.
Helen Patrice
While there is not a single happy moment in this book that I can recall, it's compelling. Holdstock may have some father issues that occur over and over again in his work, but damn, this is a good book. I cannot recall a book keeping me up past my designated bedtime for ages, but this one did, last night.
Eija
Kirja oli ihan hyvä, mutta siinä ei ollut samanlaista lumoa kuin Metsän hengissä. Mystisiä aineksia esiintyi perheen lapsen kykyjen muodossa, mutta itselleni enemmän pinnalle nousi surullissävytteinen tarina hyljeksitystä lapsesta.
Mawgojzeta
Another win for me! Only took me 2 years to track down a copy of this book. Well worth the time. Holdstock once again brings me to a world of myth and dreams mingling with reality.
K. Axel
If you love the weird (and wonderful) worlds of Robert Holdstock, you'll absolutely love this one! It's not as good as the Mythago woods books, but that is just a minor detail.
Marsten
Una muy buena novela, muy fanatsiosa y interesante.
Dianabi
An disquieting story. I enjoyed it enormously.
Iida
Can't remember much anymore.
William F Sullivan
William F Sullivan marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Rachel Heffron
Rachel Heffron marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Nienke
Nienke marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Julie Ferioli
Julie Ferioli marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Shkna9
Shkna9 marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Ida
Ida added it
Apr 23, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Robert Paul Holdstock was an English novelist and author who is best known for his works of fantasy literature, predominantly in the fantasy subgenre of mythic fiction.

Holdstock's writing was first published in 1968. His science fiction and fantasy works explore philosophical, psychological, anthropological, spiritual, and woodland themes. He has received three BSFA awards and won the World Fantas...more
More about Robert Holdstock...
Mythago Wood (Mythago Wood, #1) Lavondyss (Mythago Wood, #2) The Hollowing (Mythago Wood, #4) Celtika (The Merlin Codex, Book 1) The Bone Forest (Mythago Wood, #3)