Start by marking “Growing Up Weightless” as Want to Read:
Growing Up Weightless

Growing Up Weightless

Talented, imaginative, and self-confident, Matthias Ronay has never known any life but that on the moon, and he clashes with his brilliant politician father, Albin Ronay, in an attempt to change his future. Reprint. NYT.
Published July 1st 1994 by Spectra (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Growing Up Weightless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Up Weightless

Jared Millet
Oct 27, 2015 Jared Millet rated it really liked it
I read this one based on a recommendation in a book by Jo Walton, otherwise I'd have never heard of it. Nevertheless, it's the kind of thing I love: a coming of age / slice of life story set on the moon, where the characters are a bunch of kids who grew up there and take everything for granted. There are big events going on for sure, such as an impending water supply crisis that concerns the main character's father, but it's all in the background. What the lead character, Matt Ronay, is mainly c ...more
Barry King
Dec 18, 2014 Barry King rated it really liked it
Because of what seems to me to be a particularly ugly copyright dispute, this book is not available anywhere in retail, nor will it likely be available as an ebook in my lifetime. There are still good condition used copies to be found, which is good because it's a classic that shouldn't be forgotten.

In many ways it's a classic coming-of-age story, and like all good science fiction, it doesn't really represent society in the future, but today's society projected into the future. It was written in
SA
Feb 05, 2013 SA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This book sticks with you long after you've first read it.

So, this was published in the mid ninties, as I recall, and the descriptions of the tech and structure of the colony don't quite hold up to what we now know about tech. But that doesn't really matter, because what Ford does so expertly is create a culture and society that is at once alien and familiar; his Lunar colony, divorced from Earth, told through the muddy third person omniscient narratives of his male characters, is different and
Nicholas Barone
Jul 25, 2011 Nicholas Barone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winner of the 1994 Philip K Dick award, Growing Up Weightless is an impressive coming of age story set on the moon 4 generations after permanent settlements have been established. The story is not action packed, by any means, but it does a wonderful job of sketching out a Lunar civilization that has only recently seceded from earth to form its own nation. The setting is revealed in the background as we follow the story of Matt Ronay - teenage son of one Luna's leaders. Matt and his friends are t ...more
bkwurm
Aug 23, 2007 bkwurm rated it liked it
A coming of age tale set in an unspecified time in the future on the moon. Matthias Ronay lives in the lunar city of Copernicus. His father is responsible for the water supply for the lunar population and, at the time of the story, is faced with an aging fleet of ships that bring water back from the asteroids, a diminishing water supply relative to the growing lunar population and faced with a proposal that would ensure near unlimited water for the moon but at the cost of the sacrifice of a huma ...more
Sharon
Mar 02, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it
This is a delightful story of a young man growing up on the moon. The author does a nice job of imagining what life on Luna would be like. It took me awhile to figure out what was going on because there are no chapters and the action jumps from character to character with little warning. Of course some of the references are unfamiliar as well. For example, a 'cold' place is one that is away from electronic surveillance. Earthlings are called "slammers' because, due to low gravity, they tend to s ...more
Nomadman
Feb 08, 2014 Nomadman rated it really liked it
Another smart and carefully crafted coming of age novel from this excellent and underrated writer. Unlike his other works, this is a bit easier to follow on a first read through (all Ford's novels reward multiple rereadings). World building is impeccable as always, and the fact that he confines his action to a single setting allows him to explore things in much more depth. A very fine, mature piece of work.
Rachel
Mar 21, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok
Excellent world-building; terrible pacing. Teenage Matt and his friends live on the moon and have grown up with its culture of resenting earth and being able to jump really high (a more accurate title would have been Growing Up in Low Gravity). It's a slice-of-life sci-fye, but it feels like something big is about to happen, and when nothing does, it's disappointing (I don't mind slice-of-life, just don't pretend to be something else).
Nigel
Jul 30, 2014 Nigel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-ya
Coming of age on the moon, when the great adventure is over and the accomplishments of the parents completely overshadow the lives of the children. Our hero feels trapped, oppressed and monitored and searches for a chalenge that’ll make his life worthwhile. An effective story from the late, lamented Ford.
Jeff
Nov 22, 2014 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Anyone who's ever had any kind of childhood will love this book. Really captures what it feels like to grow up... Saying goodbye... having your views on the world turned upside down.

The backdrop of the story is no slouch either. The political intrigue with Vacor does a good job of carrying some of the slower slice of life parts (which are needed for the ending to pack a punch).

Ken
Feb 27, 2015 Ken rated it it was amazing
A great story about father/son relationships, and also about what it might mean to live an everyday teenage life with your friends on the Moon. It's got some speculative-but-not-wild technology and environments, which is fun, and it doesn't try to assault you with any "big idea".
Gsmattingly
Feb 17, 2009 Gsmattingly rated it liked it
This book is okay but not great. I don't like that it has no chapters, no divisions of that which was written. Also there is action and not necessarily the best resolution. A number of things were left hanging.
Chris
May 14, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: sffantasy
I admire dense, no-word-wasted writing as much as anyone, but maybe Ford could have spent a few extra words on making it slightly clearer what was going on? I don't expect my SF fun reading to be harder going than my academic reading.

LOVED the trains. The trains made it all worthwhile.
John
Jan 01, 2010 John rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf
Not too bad, but not my favorite Ford book by any stretch. I really enjoyed the setting and some of the supporting characters, but the main character was a bit of a whiner, and the ending was both completely unsurprising and weirdly rushed. Meh.
Gaines Post
Sep 06, 2014 Gaines Post rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring and imaginative. A wonderful coming of age story, too. Six stars our of five.
Meril
Meril rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2011
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2016
Marco
Marco rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Salix
Salix rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2014
Michael Hill
Michael Hill rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2012
SmokingMirror
SmokingMirror rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2013
Justin
Justin rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2017
Menkah
Menkah rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2008
Jessica Zoop
Jessica Zoop rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2014
Bearded_Brewer
Bearded_Brewer rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2012
Jafaster
Jafaster rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2012
Melissa McShane
Melissa McShane rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2008
Matthew Vargo
Matthew Vargo rated it did not like it
Nov 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Points of Departure
  • Four Hundred Billion Stars (Four Hundred Billion Stars, #1)
  • Strange Toys
  • The Troika
  • Mysterium
  • Stable Strategies and Others
  • Terminal Mind
  • Spin Control (Spin Trilogy, #2)
  • Black Wine
  • 253
  • Homunculus (Narbondo, #2)
  • Emissaries from the Dead (Andrea Cort, #1)
  • Orbital Resonance (Century Next Door, #1)
  • The Mount
John Milo "Mike" Ford was a science fiction and fantasy writer, game designer and poet.

Ford was regarded (and obituaries, tributes and memories describe him) as an extraordinarily intelligent, erudite and witty man. He was a popular contributor to several online discussions. He composed poems, often improvised, in both complicated forms and blank verse, notably Shakespearean pastiche; he also wrot
More about John M. Ford...