Start by marking “Poems by Robert Frost: A Boy's Will and North of Boston” as Want to Read:
Poems by Robert Frost: A Boy's Will and North of Boston

Poems by Robert Frost: A Boy's Will and North of Boston

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  454 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The publication of A Boy’s Will (1913) and North of Boston (1914) marked the debut of Robert Frost as a major talent and established him as the true poetic voice of New England. Four of his volumes would win the Pulitzer Prize before his death in 1963, and his body of work has since become an integral part of the American national heritage.

This is the only edition to prese

Paperback, First Signet Classic Printing (Davidson Afterword), 152 pages
Published April 1st 2001 by Signet Classics (first published January 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Poems by Robert Frost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems by Robert Frost

John Doe
Incredible!

What Frost gets so well is the absurdity of a young genius confronted with the reality of life in a small town. And, learning to live with it.
J. Alfred
Nothing really wild and crazy in this volume. As normally happens, the poems that one has run into before are the best ones (thus, they have been passed on). "Mending Wall" and "After Apple Picking" were the only two I knew previously, and I'm pretty sure they were the best two in there. However, there is some other neat stuff to be found: he has a lot of long, dialogue poems that tell Hemmingway-esqe stories, in addition to some exciting little love poems I didn't know were in his vein. "Asking ...more
Ana
Blueberries

"You ought to have seen what I saw on my way
To the village, through Mortenson's pasture to-day:
Blueberries as big as the end of your thumb,
Real sky-blue, and heavy, and ready to drum
In the cavernous pail of the first one to come!
And all ripe together, not some of them green
And some of them ripe! You ought to have seen!"
"I don't know what part of the pasture you mean."
"You know where they cut off the woods--let me see--
It was two years ago--or no!--can it be
No longer than tha
Daniella
Jan 05, 2009 Daniella rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mom
Shelves: poetry, 2008, donated
I tried really hard to like A Boy's Will/North of Boston. Robert Frost is such a celebrated poet that I almost felt that anything less than absolute adoration would be blasphemy. And he did author a few of my favorite poems, so I went into it with high expectations.

Frost truly was an amazing poet. He was a powerful poet. You read the words on the page, and suddenly you're standing in lush green fields, surrounded by flowers. And you can feel the breeze, you can smell the air, you can see the gir
Kevin Albrecht
These were Robert Frost's first two books of poetry. As his first works, they seem a fitting place to begin studying Frost. Frost reminds me of William Blake, in that his poems are deceptively simple, using straight end-rhyme frequently. Again like Blake, his rhyme hides beneath it deep meaning. My favorite poem from A Boy's Will is "Stars".

The second book, North of Boston, is very different from the first. It contains narrative poems usually around three to five pages long. The most famous of t
Jess
Feb 03, 2014 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Classic poetry fans
Recommended to Jess by: American Lit class
I definitely like his rhyming poetry better...one of the only rhyming poets I like. I also much preferred A Boy's Will. Favorites: "Wind and Window Flower," "Flower-Gathering," "Asking for Roses," "Going for Water, "Spoils of the Dead," "Reluctance."

Adore the nature poems.
Carmelo Valone
I don't feel like my judgements of someone as amazing/legendary would ever have any sort of deeper testimony of his artistry. What we have here...young Frost at his best....or the start of his best. His topics shatter youth. Try it...you'll like it.
Willie Krischke

The first half, "A Boy's Will," was better than the second, "North of Boston." ABW are romantic poems, about nature, love, and death, in the grand tradition of Wordsworth et al. They ostensibly follow the couse of a boy's life/coming of age.

The second half, or second book, I didn't like much. Most of the poems are hardly poems at all; they're more like short stories written with line breaks. Some of the stories/poems were interesting, some I just couldn't care about. There were a few more "poem
Tim Woody
A good collection of Robert Frost's poems. The first section "A Boy's Will" was my favorite while the prose in "North of Boston" felt more meandering and scattered.
David
I am not much of a poet nor do I know much about poetry, but I did enjoy my first skim of this. I read most of the poems 2 or more times and then marked the ones I liked so that i'd read them again. I found the economy of words to be so amazing in much of this work that as a writer, i found myself looking at the nuts and bolts as much as any duality that existed in the poem. If you like nature, you'll Love Frost. And, if you're ever at a cocktail part and can successfully quote frost, you must b ...more
Calla
Reading these are like going home
Grant
frost is not just a poet i like to read, but for me he is an important poet. along with wallace stevens and william carlos williams, his poetry gives me the sense that i am part of a collective that is america even if it is not actually true. and i do not mean that in a patriotic sense, but in the sense that deep down we do share sense of aesthetics through spans of generations. also i think the reason he is so popular and so widely read is because his poems are so well crafted and bear a distic ...more
Lyl Lyl
There were some very good concepts in the book, and a lot of it was good, but my problem were the short stories that filled up almost all of North of Boston, which, had very abrupt endings, with conclusions left unfound. It was actually frustrating to me to start thinking about something the people in the short story were discussing, to have everything suddenly cut off, over and over again. Almost every one is like that. Other than that, though, as I said, most of it was good.
Patrick
This was the little Dover book I bought once after selling back my textbooks and really started my love of Robert Frost. Just reread it. I really did have to slow down and get back in the groove of close reading, but I enjoyed this again. Too much wistfulness, but in a good way. A dose of contentedness with life as well, and some nice moments of love and wonder.
Angus Stirling
'Three foggy mornings and one rainy day will rot the best birch fence a man can build.' If you enjoy a wealth of traditional rustic imagery as metaphors for life and death, you'll love this book. I do not.
Samantha
I like fronst. Poems are short and don't rely on an indepth knowledge of the classics. I hate when poets seem to be trying to prove how smart and well read they are. Frost paints a picture of life and emotion. It's not melodramtic... because life doesn't have to be to have remarkable moments.
Dayna Smith
A charming collection of Frost's poems originally published in 1913 & 1914 respectively. A great introduction to Frost and contains some of his finest poems i.e. "Mending Wall", "After Apple-Picking", and "The Death of a Hired Man".
James
Two collections of poems by Robert Frost. North of Boston has a number of longer, narrative poems I really appreciate. A boy's Will is more focused on nature. Both are good but North of Boston is better.
Allison
If you need to brush up on your iambs - then read this book. A Boy's Will is all metered for your ear's pleasure. North of Boston is all blank verse (more iambic pentameter - more or less consistently).
Tim
Two of the best poems in this volume are "After Apple Picking" and "The Mended Wall." The rest of the poem's I didn't care for, but understand why Frost has become so anthologized in America.
Matthew
I was surprised by the long narratives in this book - different than the little moral rhyming poems I'm used to from Frost. Some of this is downright entrancing, like 'The Death of the Hired Man'.
Likeahumanbeingonlysmaller
Beautiful poetry. I couldn't find the exact description of the ebook that I read as it included a further book than the two listed above. He captured the subtleties of life marvellously.
Leah
It was lovely! The poems are written very well and Mr. Frost was an excellent poet.
Susan nemitz
Apr 11, 2009 Susan nemitz marked it as to-read
Shelves: tammy-whishman
no review to give as i have just started the book he is a four time Pulitzer Prize Winner so i thaught to take a gander at his work, maybe i will learn something
Ana Paula
I had fun trying to interpret some of them, but others were boring. Still the way he uses darkness is charming. Most of his poems that I like weren't in this book
Joshua Cooney
Frost defines America and what it means to be an American. So, if you are an American, or want to understand American culture, you should probably read him.
Nour
From Mending walls, to a Road not taken and a boys will Robert Frost layerd purpose and meaning shows poetry is still alive and breating.
Sam
Frosts woods are the woods I grew up in. These poems explore the landscapes and idears of my people, the WASPs of New England.
Lauren
Personally, I prefer "a Boy's Will" to "North of Boston," but both compliment each other in this volume.
Jessica
I'm not big on American literature or poetry, particularly from this era, but these were very enjoyable.
  • Selected Poems
  • The Mentor Book of Major American Poets
  • Syncopated: An Anthology of Nonfiction Picto-Essays
  • The Secret of the Ruby Ring
  • Grass For His Pillow: Episode 1 Lord Fujiwara's Treasures
  • The Longman Anthology of British Literature, Volume 2A: The Romantics and Their Contemporaries
  • Collected Poems
  • Paterson
  • The Best Poems Ever: A Collection of Poetry's Greatest Voices
  • The Weary Blues
  • The Collected Poetry
Flinty, moody, plainspoken and deep, Robert Frost was one of America's most popular 20th-century poets. Frost was farming in Derry, New Hampshire when, at the age of 38, he sold the farm, uprooted his family and moved to England, where he devoted himself to his poetry. His first two books of verse, A Boy's Will (1913) and North of Boston (1914), were immediate successes. In 1915 he returned to the ...more
More about Robert Frost...
The Poetry of Robert Frost (Collected Poems, Complete & Unabridged) The Road Not Taken and Other Poems Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening Collected Poems, Prose, and Plays Selected Poems