Start by marking “Agent of Destiny: The Life and Times of General Winfield Scott” as Want to Read:
Agent of Destiny: The Life and Times of General Winfield Scott

Agent of Destiny: The Life and Times of General Winfield Scott

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  5 reviews
From a renowned historian and son of President Dwight D. Eisenhower comes the biography of General Winfield Scott, the towering commander, a hero of the War of 1812, who was instrumental in shaping America's border and who created the modern U.S. military. 16-page photo insert National author publicity.
Published December 22nd 1997 by Free Press (first published December 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Agent of Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agent of Destiny

Steven Peterson
This is a fine biography of the general who was nicknamed "Old Fuss and Feathers." The trajectory of his life is amazing in its scope. He founght in the War of 1812, led one of the American armies to victory in the Mexical War, and finished his career as the commanding general of the Union forces at the outset of the Civil War. He was also politically ambitious and ran into trouble a number of times as one consequence.

The volume, authored by John Eisenhower (Dwight Eisenhower's son) is well writ...more
Jeremy
I was fortunate to find a copy of Eisenhower's biography of Winfield Scott in a used bookstore at a more than reasonable price. Having read a number of works on James K. Polk and the U.S./Mexican War, I looked forward to the opportunity to learn more about the military rather than the political perspectives regarding that conflict. Agent of Destiny did not disappoint. Eisenhower's style is quite readable and accessible popular history and is engaging and thought-provoking. At the same time I pur...more
'Aussie Rick'
Winfield Scott served his country well and I would hope that he has not been lost to history. This book brings to life this man's place in American history. I enjoyed the chapters concerning his role in the American-Mexican War and I would like to read this authors book on that conflict, a shame it's no longer available. Buy this book and enjoy, recommended reading!
David Lathrop
This book is actually very impressive. As with many biographies today, it is somewhat biased towards its subject, but the treatment is thorough. It is well-noted, and the detail is surprising. For early American military buffs, this book is a useful addition.
Forrest
I was guilty of thinking of Winfield Scott as the old guy in the photos from the Civil War. This book shattered that image by making me aware of the heroism and courage of one of our greatest military men.
John Gazzelli
John Gazzelli marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Gmoney.gold
Gmoney.gold marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
David Duprey
David Duprey marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Amy T Schubert
Amy T Schubert marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Alejandro González herrera
Alejandro González herrera is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2014
happy
happy marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Travelin
Travelin marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Jerry Landry
Jerry Landry marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013
Brendan
Brendan marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
Angelo
Angelo marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The son of President Dwight D. Eisenhower and his wife Mamie, John Sheldon Doud Eisenhower was a retired United States Army officer who authored several books of military history. He served as the U.S. Ambassador to Belgium from 1969 to 1971.
More about John S.D. Eisenhower...
So Far from God: The U.S. War With Mexico, 1846-1848 Zachary Taylor (The American Presidents, #12) The Bitter Woods Yanks: The Epic Story of the American Army in World War I General Ike: A Personal Reminiscence