Start by marking “Agent of Destiny: The Life and Times of General Winfield Scott” as Want to Read:
Agent of Destiny: The Life and Times of General Winfield Scott

Agent of Destiny: The Life and Times of General Winfield Scott

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  52 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
From a renowned historian and son of President Dwight D. Eisenhower comes the biography of General Winfield Scott, the towering commander, a hero of the War of 1812, who was instrumental in shaping America's border and who created the modern U.S. military. 16-page photo insert National author publicity.
Published December 1st 1997 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about Agent of Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agent of Destiny

Diamond Cowboy
Nov 27, 2015 Diamond Cowboy rated it it was amazing
This was a great depiction of a carreerarmy man. He served in the war of 1812 and to start with and then served in two more wars, then whent in for pollatics. I recommend this book highly. Enjoy and Be Blessed. Diamond
Steven Peterson
Jan 02, 2009 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it
This is a fine biography of the general who was nicknamed "Old Fuss and Feathers." The trajectory of his life is amazing in its scope. He founght in the War of 1812, led one of the American armies to victory in the Mexical War, and finished his career as the commanding general of the Union forces at the outset of the Civil War. He was also politically ambitious and ran into trouble a number of times as one consequence.

The volume, authored by John Eisenhower (Dwight Eisenhower's son) is well writ
Jeremy
I was fortunate to find a copy of Eisenhower's biography of Winfield Scott in a used bookstore at a more than reasonable price. Having read a number of works on James K. Polk and the U.S./Mexican War, I looked forward to the opportunity to learn more about the military rather than the political perspectives regarding that conflict. Agent of Destiny did not disappoint. Eisenhower's style is quite readable and accessible popular history and is engaging and thought-provoking. At the same time I pur ...more
'Aussie Rick'
Nov 24, 2009 'Aussie Rick' rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-military
Winfield Scott served his country well and I would hope that he has not been lost to history. This book brings to life this man's place in American history. I enjoyed the chapters concerning his role in the American-Mexican War and I would like to read this authors book on that conflict, a shame it's no longer available. Buy this book and enjoy, recommended reading!
William Kriner
Sep 07, 2015 William Kriner rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A biography of General Winfield Scott the 19th century US military hero who served 15 Presidents. Written by John S.D. Eisenhower, son of Ike, and a military man himself, the book drags at places where battles are minutely analyzed. But, overall, it is a great read. Scott had presidential political aspirations, but possessed inept political skills. His service to his country was through his military acumen. For those interested in the great time of American expansion in middle 19th century Ameri ...more
Howard Anders
Dec 28, 2014 Howard Anders rated it really liked it
Winfield Scott served in the U.S. Army for over 50 years, beginning with the opening of the frontier in the early 1800s to the beginning of the Civil War. For many of those years, he was America's ranking general officer. Mr. Eisenhower's biography paints a picture that neither flatters nor condemns the man and officer. It is a well written and balanced look at a key figure in American military history.
Rodney
Mar 12, 2016 Rodney rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Love this book. Scott tends to be an overlooked general in the history books. 1812 isn't talked about much, and by the Civil War, he was well past his prime. I picked up the book because I like biographies, and I knew nothing about him. This book is informative, accessible, and enjoyable. If you like biographies, this era in history, or both, I highly recommend this book!
David Lathrop
Jan 15, 2013 David Lathrop rated it really liked it
This book is actually very impressive. As with many biographies today, it is somewhat biased towards its subject, but the treatment is thorough. It is well-noted, and the detail is surprising. For early American military buffs, this book is a useful addition.
Forrest
Aug 04, 2012 Forrest rated it it was amazing
I was guilty of thinking of Winfield Scott as the old guy in the photos from the Civil War. This book shattered that image by making me aware of the heroism and courage of one of our greatest military men.
Julianna
Julianna marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Rayne Jones
Rayne Jones rated it did not like it
Jul 10, 2016
Greg F
Greg F added it
May 15, 2016
John Keyes
John Keyes rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Curt Trimble
Curt Trimble marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Dean
Dean marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Todd
Todd marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Richard Willis
Richard Willis rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
Hdkruger
Hdkruger marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Michael Bayles
Michael Bayles is currently reading it
Feb 12, 2016
Bob Croft
Bob Croft rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Nils Riess
Nils Riess marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Erick
Erick marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Pamela Parson
Pamela Parson marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Mark Brewer
Mark Brewer rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The son of President Dwight D. Eisenhower and his wife Mamie, John Sheldon Doud Eisenhower was a retired United States Army officer who authored several books of military history. He served as the U.S. Ambassador to Belgium from 1969 to 1971.
More about John S.D. Eisenhower...