Start by marking “Unveiling Mary Magdalene: Discover the Truth About a Not-So-Bad Girl of the Bible” as Want to Read:

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  283 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The veil has been lifted.

Discover the Gospel truth about the most myth-understood woman of the New Testament. Was Mary Magdalene a prostitute? An adulteress? The wife of Jesus? An ancient goddess? Liz Curtis Higgs, best-selling author of Bad Girls of the Bible and Really Bad Girls of the Bible, combines heartfelt contemporary fiction with extensive biblical research to bri...more
Published May 18th 2004 by WaterBrook Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Unveiling Mary Magdalene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unveiling Mary Magdalene

Joy
In the style of Bad Girls of the Bible, we get Unveiling Mary Magdalene. If you haven't read the first book, that Higgs does is to provide a modern fictionalized account of the woman and then goes into a deeper Bible study of the actual historical woman.

Mary Magdalene has gotten a bad rap for some reason. She's always portrayed as a harlot, a bad girl and wanting something more than friendship from Jesus (as seen in Jesus Christ Superstar,. Even in Passion of the Christ, she is seen as the woman...more
Debbie
"Mad Mary" started with a modernized Biblical fiction story and ended with a study on the historical Mary Magdalene. I believe the fictional part has now also been published separately as a novella, "Mercy Like Sunlight." The author took the biblical story of Mary Magdalene and set it in the modern world to help readers better understand what her life might have been like. I liked her modernized biblical stories in her "Bad Girls" books, and I liked this one, too.

The second half of the book look...more
Jean Moulder
This book blew me away. Mad Mary transformed by her relationship with Jesus Christ. I can relate. This replaces Redeeming Love as my all time favorite.
J.M.
This book is split into two parts ~ the beginning is a novel of a "modern day Mary" who is called to God through the help of a young, charismatic priest. While the story was well-written, I thought the priest's comparison to Christ was heavy-handed. By the time I read the first part, I didn't even want to continue the rest of the book.

The second part of the book is very thick reading on deciphering who Mary Magdalene was from Biblical texts. Unfortunately, Mary was a common name in Biblical time...more
Athena Nawar
Although I am a tremendous fan of the author, this is not one of her better efforts. Heavy handed symbolism and one dimensional characters with no real dramatic movement or surprise. The message of grace is appreciated and always welcome ; unfortunately this novella is not as clearly effective as Higgs' other efforts.
I liked the fictional story at the beginning. The Bible study that followed, although full of truth, was so poorly written (with bad grammar, incomplete sentences, gratuitous colloquial phrases galore, etc.) that it was hard for me to take it seriously. In addition, she sourced the vast majority of much of her commentary from other peoples' work - to the effect of making me feeling like I was just reading a string of quotations, and not original work. She did cite everything, to the tune of 50-6...more
Odette
The story in the beginning had its moments (mainly involving Mary, the mother of Jesus), but overall was pretty simple. There were no interesting turns that could have been possible when putting Mary's story in modern times. The analysis in the second half was pretty simple and was comprised of things that I had already learned from surfing the internet. Also, the colloquial tone that it was written in, while cute at first, got to be really, really annoying. More than that, it even felt condesce...more
Melissa
Great look at the life of Mary Magdalene. Fictionalized, but also study of her life.
Pamela
I wasn't really wild about the beginning of the book with the story from modern times. However, I gleaned some knowledge out of the author's discussion in the last several chapters of the book. It did make me reevaluate how I have thought about Mary Magdalene in light of the misinformation that has been conjured up by sources other than the Bible.
Teeni
First half of the book was a slog. The second half, the study, was worth the wait. The author had a fun (but sometimes overly smarmy) writing style. That said, I learned a lot and am glad I read it.
Sharon
This was good. Half of it was a novel, half a Bible study about Mary Magdelene. I found the novel a bit lacking in tension, but it was a real tearjerker. The study was well researched and addresses the questions asked by many after reading Dan Brown's work, "The DaVinci Code"
Jackie Finn
I loved this story & the unconventional idea that what we have learned about Mary of Magdala is all wrong.... This is the only story that I have read out of the "Bad Girls of the Bible" series so far, but I intend on reading the test of them.
Brenda Wharton
A modern day story of Mary Magdalen, including her demons and then how she was rescued by. Christ and followed him till the end. Also includes what the Bible says about her and what that means
Kristen
Um this book was a little boring for me, not one of her best books I really couldn't get past like the second chapter. But if you want to learn about Mary this is the book for you.
Beth
Poorly written. Did not appreciate the author's attempts to be friendly with the reader with her use of "girlfriend" and "sister" in the text. I found this to be distracting and annoying.
Jackie
This is a must read for all ladies who enjoy Liz Curtis Higgs. I must say since I got introduced to her in Bad Girls of the Bible. Will not quit until I read all her books.
Rach
Very hard to put down book- started yesterday & am half way through already today. Interesting view on Mary Magdalene- especially following the Da Vinci Code
Briana
A refreshing look at the facts...I will now forever be irritated by people who call Mary Magdalene a prostitute or the wife of Christ. Um, no.
Kate Lowery
I just read this one in anticipation of me portraying Mary Magdalene in a play this coming year. Fantastic book. Gave me some great motivation.
Karen
I really liked this book. I don't believe I actually did the Bible study with the book, but the story was very good. It caused you to think.
Erin
Really enjoyed this book, because it presented an awesome modern-day account of Mary Magdalene.
Erin
As much as I love Liz Curtis Higgs writing...this one just sort of fell flat for me.
Kas
Great read! I really enjoyed this book, but I always enjoy Mrs. Higgs' writing.
Susanlentini
really insightful, never thought of Mary Magdalene like this
Saige Yarbrough
I like Liz's style of combining fiction and non fiction.
Michelle
This is a great story of "modern day" Mary Magdaline.
Stacey Newland
Slow start but so glad I stuck with it! Awesome book!
Chelsea
  • Love Finds You in Groom, Texas
  • Voices of the Faithful
  • True Community: The Biblical Practice of Koinonia
  • Cast of Characters: Common People in the Hands of an Uncommon God
  • Abigail (The Wives of King David, #2)
  • Deborah's Story (Women of the Bible)
  • The Duke's Redemption
  • Love Finds You in Sugarcreek, Ohio
  • Eli
  • Healing for Damaged Emotions
  • The Reluctant Prophet (The Reluctant Prophet, #1)
  • Luke for Everyone
  • Love Finds You in Revenge, Ohio
Former Bad Girl, grateful for the grace God offers. Happy wife of Bill, one of the Good Guys. Proud mom of two grown-up kids with tender hearts. Lame housekeeper. Marginal cook. Pitiful gardener. Stuff I love? Encouraging my sisters in Christ—across the page, from the platform, online, in person. Unpacking Scripture. Traveling wherever God leads. Listening to his heart. Leaning into his embrace.
More about Liz Curtis Higgs...
Bad Girls of the Bible: And What We Can Learn from Them Thorn in My Heart (Lowlands of Scotland, #1) Whence Came a Prince (Lowlands of Scotland, #3) Fair Is the Rose (Lowlands of Scotland, #2) Grace in Thine Eyes (Lowlands of Scotland, #4)