Start by marking “Breakfast in Bed (Bed & Breakfast #1)” as Want to Read:
Breakfast in Bed (Bed & Breakfast #1)

Breakfast in Bed (Bed & Breakfast #1)

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,177 Ratings  ·  134 Reviews
Hurt one too many times in the past, Sloan Fairchild isn't interested in love. Instead, she pours all her energy into running her elegant bed-and-breakfast inn. But when her best friend asks her to house her fiancé for a month, Sloan opens the doors of Fairchild House to Carter Madison...and meets a man who turns her world--and her concept of herself--upside down.

Sloan tri
Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Published May 1st 2007 by Bantam (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Breakfast in Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakfast in Bed

Thoughtless by S.C. StephensCheating to Survive by Christine ArdigoLover Eternal by J.R. WardUndeniable by Madeline SheehanBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
YOUR CHEATING HEART
93rd out of 224 books — 314 voters
Born in Ice by Nora RobertsThe Perfect Hope by Nora RobertsThe Next Always by Nora RobertsThe Last Boyfriend by Nora RobertsMy Lady Love by Bridgitte Lesley
B&B Fiction
10th out of 99 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Dinjolina
People sorted this as a cheater romance. People went on and on about how poor little Alicia got cheated by her eeeeevil friend the heroine.

My thoughts on this?

Could you be more wrong?

Ok, so the hero had an obligation.
Really? An obligation? If you ask me, marriages of convenience in this day and age are very hard to pull off. The author gave us the reasons for the hero: the woman was his friend's wife, he wanted to take care of her, and he needed a family because it was time.

Aha. Well, first of
Milica's Bookshelf
Ovu knjigu mogu jedino opisati kao slatku limunadicu.
Marcia Scurfield
Jun 28, 2010 Marcia Scurfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-giveaway
If you ask what genres of books I like to read, “Romance Novels” would not make the list. My main complaint against romances is that the plot just loosely weaves together the sex scenes and the hero is always handsome and virile and the heroine is always strikingly beautiful. And there is never any mention of birth control or protection against STD’s. OK, I know it’s supposed to be a fantasy. However, I have read Sandra Brown’s Breakfast in Bed twice since receiving it a week ago, so something i ...more
Julie
Jul 13, 2011 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, giveaway-wins
If I could, I wouldn't even give this one star.

I'll preface my review of this book by saying that when I enter a book giveaway at Goodreads, I feel a responsibility to write a review, which means finishing the book. That is, after all, the primary reason for authors and publishers giving away their books. Well, I couldn't finish this book. I made it to page 45 and I just couldn't make myself go any further.

I have to wonder what Sandra Brown was thinking when she decided to give away this book. F
Kayla
Sep 04, 2010 Kayla rated it did not like it
BREAKFAST IN BED by Sandra Brown

My Thoughts:
I don't know what to say...this book was terrible. I've never read a "romance" novel this bad before. The characters were horrible! (Which I will explain in my spoiler review.) The scenes got worse and worse, it was all the same crap over and over. The story wasn't what I expected it to be, it was the worst romance I've read in a long, long time, and the characters just amplified that. There were way too many (boring, repetitive) "love" scenes, as well
Adia2728
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I read another review where the reader had mentioned that she wasn't sure what Sandra Brown was hoping to gain in providing this giveaway. I find it difficult at times to provide a review on a book that didn't fare too well in my opinion. I realize that's the whole point of providing a review, but this one is a little awkward for me to write.

1. The book was extremely dated. I supposed I should've expected that by looking at the cover
Linda
Jun 28, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, first-reads
I had received this book from "Sandra Brown", Goodreads Author, to review; I have only just started the first couple chapters, It grabs your interest right from the start, with suspense and anticipation of romance.
between Sloan and Carter. Salon runs a bed & breakfast, her best friend (Alicia)is engaged to an Author who is having trouble finishing his book, Alicia makes arrangements for Carter to spend a month at her friend Salons B&B to work on his book. When Salon & Carter meet, th
Emelie Johansson
Got a copy from the author to review.

The book was maybe a 2,5. It was an nice read and entertaining, but the characters ware a bit flat and I felt that the story could have ben more evolved and made deeper. Everything happened really fast, which is both good and bad, the book was never boring to read but it did not feel realistic at times. The book contain several intimate moments, and I did not feel that I got to know the characters. I liked the surroundings in the book and that the characters
Julie Barrett
Feb 29, 2012 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing
Breakfast in Bed by Sandra Brown
Sloan runs a bed and breakfast and allows single women and couples, not single men. Except her best girl friends soon to be husband, Carter will be staying there, finishing his novel then onto his wedding with Alesha.
She helps him in writing his book, acting out scenes and things heat up over time and they wonder how they will be able to explain to Aleshi that they couldn't be wed.
She doesn't want to continue with his advances but he's becoming very forceful.
Due t
Cindi
Jul 27, 2010 Cindi rated it it was amazing
I totally love this book. Definitely my favorite Sandra Brown book. I originally read it many, many years ago and have read tons of her books since and this is still my favorite.

Typical cheesy love story. A woman falls in love with her best friend's fiance. The fiance falls in love back. And what do you know? Everything works out dandy in the end. I know it sounds sarcastic but I really, really love this "cheesy" love story.

Sandra Brown's old books have always been my guilty pleasure. This one
Annika
...I don’t know where to start. When reading this book I was insulted as a woman with free will and thoughts of my own. But I was also questioning whether the author actually is a woman. It was so bad I had to keep myself from throwing the tablet off the balcony. Which would be even worse as all the good books in there would go with it.

I really wish I didn’t need to read this book and here are a few examples why:

“Her breast were trembling beneath the sheerest, most elegant lingerie she owned.”
Lady Heather
Listened to this last night and I think it would have been much better to read. Since it was recorded in 1997, in all of the dramatic 'climatic' scenes cheesy music would begin to play in the background and make me want to stop listening to the story.
The story as a whole was okay. There was a lot of repetition, and the characters at times were shallow.
In conclusion, glad I read it but I wouldn't recommend it.
M.G. Lena
Apr 29, 2016 M.G. Lena rated it did not like it

Well... this was bad. And I mean really, really BAD. I could lie and say I didn't know it was going to be bad, but I did. I totally did. The thing is, I was bored and I was (kinda) in the mood for some eye-rolling. And if nothing there is A LOT of eye-rolling in this one.
This novel is so bad it's ridiculous! But what am I saying - all her novels are like that. I read the first novel by Sandra Brown not really knowing what am I getting into. I read the second one expecting it would be better (st
Carrie
Jul 21, 2010 Carrie rated it liked it
An older romance from Sandra Brown that definitely has a dated feel. However, even with the sometimes purple prose, and the fact that the basic plot isn't one of my favorites (woman falls in love with fiancee of best friend), I enjoyed spending a few hours reading the book.
Andrei Ardelean
May 28, 2015 Andrei Ardelean rated it really liked it
It's a very good, exciting book, that contains an interesting love story between two strangers, but I consider that "Breakfast in Bed" contains too much erotic scenes.
Even if Sloan Fairchild doesn't want love, because he was hurted before, she fall in love from the first time when Carter Madison step in the house for write a book, to have peace and to escape from the daily bustle. After his move, he will have the same feelings and will try with all his arms to make her a part of him, because
Bašenka
Jan 12, 2014 Bašenka rated it it was ok
Nato že táto kniha bola pôvodne napísaná v 1983 veľmi sa mi páčila. V knihe si hlavne postavy veľmi často vykali načo som si musela kúsok zvyknúť ale presne pre tento dôvod sa mi kniha páčila. Bolo to nezvyčajné, trochu som odbočila od NA a YA kníh.
Zaskočilo ma však to že som v tejto knihe našla pár pikantných scén a poviem vám jedno: Neodporúčam čítať túto knihu v kaviarni.
Keď som čítala dopodrobna - ale samozrejme pekne napísané - ich náklonnosť v posteli a pritom som sedela v kaviarni kde s
Cassie
Feb 25, 2015 Cassie rated it did not like it
In my early twenties, I was on a big Sandra Brown kick and so it is possible that I read this book then. I am not overly fond of this book. My biggest issue lies with the hero being engaged to the heroine's best friend and the cheating that takes place in their story. I just can't enjoy a love story wrapped around that premise. There was definitely emotional and physical cheating so even though the hero loved his fiance as a friend, it still didn't sit right with me that he (and her friend) woul ...more
Fellini
Aug 25, 2015 Fellini rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Обычный дамский романчик, доставшийся мне в нагрузку к Максу Фраю. Нужно было заподозрить неладное ещё на первой странице, когда "соски её затвердели", но я упорный читатель и не люблю бросать книги незаконченными. Так что весь комплект переводческо-писательских штампов прошёл перед моими глазами: и главная героиня - серая мышка, подруга великолепной красавицы, и красавец-жених подруги, и благородные малооплачиваемые занятия, и Голден-гейт ночью. И конечно же "его напрягшееся мужское естество", ...more
OceMei Belikova♥
I don't think the idea of cheating on your best friend's fiance is a good idea. The fact is it's a really really bad idea. I mean it's so wrong to have a relationship behind someone else. The worst is, that someone is your bestfriend, your special friend. If all women do like Sloan did to Alicia, I'd better have no bestfriend. Cause it hurts, freaking hurt.
It's not only about cheating, but betraying. coz you put on trust to her, but see what you get?

Never trust people a hundred percent
I don't w
Carla
Aug 26, 2010 Carla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, first-reads
Sloan is a lonely woman, living and working at her bed-and-breakfast inn. Carter is a famous author... and her best friend's fiance. And they share an intense, undeniable attraction that soon reveals to be love. But Carter must marry Alicia and look after her children, and Sloan knows that it doesn't matter if they love each other. They have to let it go.
Well, I'm not a romantic person but I do enjoy this kind of books, once in a while. And, though the story is quite the classical romantic scene
Anita
Dec 20, 2013 Anita rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This book is just so wrong on so many levels. Sloan is a doormat and Carter is a jerk with no personality. Sloan has a B&B in San Francisco. Her best friend, Alicia has asked her to let her fiancée stay there while he finishes his latest book. Carter shows up and it is instant lust for both of them. One big problem - Alicia.

Alicia's first husband died in an accident and left her with two little boys. Carter was his best friend and feels responsible for them, so the marriage proposal. Not tru
Brandi
Jun 18, 2010 Brandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanx to Goodreads.com and Sandra Brown, I won this edition in a giveaway. Though I had read this book before, I so enjoyed reading it again.

This book was first published in 1983, so I was thinking that I wold be getting some pretty generic love scenes and overly dramatic dislouge,etc. Boy! Was I wrong. Sandra Brown must have gotten some seriously raised eyebrows on this on. Sloan Fairchild and Carter Madison are super likeable characters. They are two people who have an impossible attraction a
Yousra Hesham
Oct 08, 2013 Yousra Hesham rated it really liked it
"You are the poet, and the poetry." he whispered

I believe every bookworm needs a cheesy romantic book to read every once in a while "or maybe it's just me", a typical romantic story that would keep a smile on your face for a whole day, and that's the right book for it.

the story is extremely usual, the woman who falls in love with her best friend's fiancé and he falls in love with her too so they're stuck between guilt and love, but I loved the storyline, it was a quick light read.

I'm not usually
Lu (Sugar & Snark)
Jul 25, 2010 Lu (Sugar & Snark) rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have, won
Melanie
Sep 24, 2011 Melanie rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
Sandra Brown brings an interesting read. I found it kinda weird that people can be so purely attracted to someone by just seeing them the first moment for like thirty seconds. That is what happened. It was a little weird and the fact that they were willing to sacrifice everything to be together. I give them credit in the book that they tried, but as a Christian I do not believe that there is a point where someone can not turn away and refuse to continue in a sexual act. On the back of the book i ...more
Lubna
Mar 02, 2012 Lubna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in the GoodReads giveaway. Romance is not something that I often read, but perhaps the pouring rain, made for an ideal setting to snuggle into a comfortable chair and read this.
It is mushy and filled with fantasy love scenes, which I guess all romantic books are.
That said, the story line was good and realistic, I guess such things can happen in real life. Also the setting of a bed and breakfast run by Sloan Fairchild was good.
It was all about the 'heroine' as they would term i
Jay
I received this book as part of Goodreads giveaways and first reads.

I'm not big on romance novels as a whole. They're not my preferred genre, and given I find sex scenes a little awkward to read, I readily admit now that I probably skipped a third of this book (and quite a lot of the end!). Even so, I felt this book a little difficult to read, mostly due to the poor leading characters. I know romance characters are meant to be desirable, passionate and ready for a romp in the sack at any given m
Robin
Sep 06, 2014 Robin rated it did not like it
Ugh! I really didn't like this book at all. The heroine owns a bed and breakfast. Her best friend has sent her fiancee to stay at the bed and breakfast so he can finish writing his book in peace. Heroine and hero soon fall in love. Kissing ensues but the heroine pushes the hero away when she remembers her best friend. Another kiss, another push. Kiss, push, kiss, push. I threw the book against the wall. My rating: 1 Star.
Micky
Feb 19, 2016 Micky rated it liked it
I'm being nice by giving this 3 stars. Both main characters were (as another reviewer said) too stupid to live.

I've always somewhat liked Sandra Brown. This story, however, was quite ridiculous. I don't care if it was one of her older ones or whatever. The story line and the characters were pretty much out there. I mean, come on. If you read the book you know what I mean.

Carol  MacInnis
Aug 13, 2011 Carol MacInnis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I won this book from a contest on Goodreads.

Sandra Brown has always been a favorite author of mine. 'Breakfast in Bed' is a love story that has one too many partners in it. It's a poignant story of a man who loves a woman but is engaged to another. Is this engagement out of obligation or true love? Carter and Sloan have found love at first sight but Carter is engaged to Alicia who is Sloan's closest friend. Although they tried to stay away from each other out of their commitment to Alicia, the l
  • Where There Is Evil
  • The Case Of The Mesmerizing Boss (Most Wanted #1)
  • Almost Forever (Spencer-Nyle Co, #2)
  • Dakota Home (Dakota, #2)
  • Keir O'Connell's Mistress (O'Connells, #1)
  • Still the One
  • Anak Rahasia (His Secret Child) - 3 Bayi Untuk 3 Saudara Book 1
  • Twice Loved
  • Going Home: Unfinished Business / Island of Flowers / Mind over Matter
  • Sensuous Burgundy

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including FRICTION (2015), MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011), & TOUGH CUSTOMER (2010).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since then has published over
More about Sandra Brown...

Bed & Breakfast (2 books)
  • Send No Flowers (Bed & Breakfast #2)