Breakfast in Bed (Bed & Breakfast #1)

Breakfast in Bed (Bed & Breakfast #1)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  2,719 ratings  ·  111 reviews
Hurt one too many times in the past, Sloan Fairchild isn't interested in love. Instead, she pours all her energy into running her elegant bed-and-breakfast inn. But when her best friend asks her to house her fiancé for a month, Sloan opens the doors of Fairchild House to Carter Madison...and meets a man who turns her world--and her concept of herself--upside down.

Sloan tri...more
Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Published May 1st 2007 by Bantam (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Breakfast in Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakfast in Bed

My Lady Love by Bridgitte LesleyUncharted by J.B. ChicoineBorn in Ice by Nora RobertsThe Last Boyfriend by Nora RobertsThe Perfect Hope by Nora Roberts
B&B Fiction
7th out of 92 books — 26 voters
Lover Eternal by J.R. WardThoughtless by S.C. StephensCheating to Survive by Christine ArdigoNamed and Shamed by C.P. MandaraUndeniable by Madeline Sheehan
YOUR CHEATING HEART
116th out of 206 books — 229 voters

More lists with this book...

Dinjolina
People sorted this as a cheater romance. People went on and on about how poor little Alicia got cheated by her eeeeevil friend the heroine.

My thoughts on this?

Could you be more wrong?

Ok, so the hero had an obligation.
Really? An obligation? If you ask me, marriages of convenience in this day and age are very hard to pull off. The author gave us the reasons for the hero: the woman was his friend's wife, he wanted to take care of her, and he needed a family because it was time.

Aha. Well, first of...more
Marcia Scurfield
If you ask what genres of books I like to read, “Romance Novels” would not make the list. My main complaint against romances is that the plot just loosely weaves together the sex scenes and the hero is always handsome and virile and the heroine is always strikingly beautiful. And there is never any mention of birth control or protection against STD’s. OK, I know it’s supposed to be a fantasy. However, I have read Sandra Brown’s Breakfast in Bed twice since receiving it a week ago, so something i...more
Julie
If I could, I wouldn't even give this one star.

I'll preface my review of this book by saying that when I enter a book giveaway at Goodreads, I feel a responsibility to write a review, which means finishing the book. That is, after all, the primary reason for authors and publishers giving away their books. Well, I couldn't finish this book. I made it to page 45 and I just couldn't make myself go any further.

I have to wonder what Sandra Brown was thinking when she decided to give away this book. F...more
Kayla
BREAKFAST IN BED by Sandra Brown

My Thoughts:
I don't know what to say...this book was terrible. I've never read a "romance" novel this bad before. The characters were horrible! (Which I will explain in my spoiler review.) The scenes got worse and worse, it was all the same crap over and over. The story wasn't what I expected it to be, it was the worst romance I've read in a long, long time, and the characters just amplified that. There were way too many (boring, repetitive) "love" scenes, as well...more
Adia2728
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I read another review where the reader had mentioned that she wasn't sure what Sandra Brown was hoping to gain in providing this giveaway. I find it difficult at times to provide a review on a book that didn't fare too well in my opinion. I realize that's the whole point of providing a review, but this one is a little awkward for me to write.

1. The book was extremely dated. I supposed I should've expected that by looking at the cover...more
Lady Heather
Listened to this last night and I think it would have been much better to read. Since it was recorded in 1997, in all of the dramatic 'climatic' scenes cheesy music would begin to play in the background and make me want to stop listening to the story.
The story as a whole was okay. There was a lot of repetition, and the characters at times were shallow.
In conclusion, glad I read it but I wouldn't recommend it.
Carrie
An older romance from Sandra Brown that definitely has a dated feel. However, even with the sometimes purple prose, and the fact that the basic plot isn't one of my favorites (woman falls in love with fiancee of best friend), I enjoyed spending a few hours reading the book.
Báška
Nato že táto kniha bola pôvodne napísaná v 1983 veľmi sa mi páčila. V knihe si hlavne postavy veľmi často vykali načo som si musela kúsok zvyknúť ale presne pre tento dôvod sa mi kniha páčila. Bolo to nezvyčajné, trochu som odbočila od NA a YA kníh.
Zaskočilo ma však to že som v tejto knihe našla pár pikantných scén a poviem vám jedno: Neodporúčam čítať túto knihu v kaviarni.
Keď som čítala dopodrobna - ale samozrejme pekne napísané - ich náklonnosť v posteli a pritom som sedela v kaviarni kde s...more
Emelie Johansson
The book was maybe a 2,5. It was an nice read and entertaining, but the characters ware a bit flat and I felt that the story could have ben more evolved and made deeper. Everything happened really fast, which is both good and bad, the book was never boring to read but it did not feel realistic at times. The book contain several intimate moments, and I did not feel that I got to know the characters. I liked the surroundings in the book and that the characters ware driven and ambitious, I just wou...more
OceMei Belikova♥
I don't think the idea of cheating on your best friend's fiance is a good idea. The fact is it's a really really bad idea. I mean it's so wrong to have a relationship behind someone else. The worst is, that someone is your bestfriend, your special friend. If all women do like Sloan did to Alicia, I'd better have no bestfriend. Cause it hurts, freaking hurt.
It's not only about cheating, but betraying. coz you put on trust to her, but see what you get?

Never trust people a hundred percent
I don't w...more
Carla
Sloan is a lonely woman, living and working at her bed-and-breakfast inn. Carter is a famous author... and her best friend's fiance. And they share an intense, undeniable attraction that soon reveals to be love. But Carter must marry Alicia and look after her children, and Sloan knows that it doesn't matter if they love each other. They have to let it go.
Well, I'm not a romantic person but I do enjoy this kind of books, once in a while. And, though the story is quite the classical romantic scene...more
Anita Fleming
This book is just so wrong on so many levels. Sloan is a doormat and Carter is a jerk with no personality. Sloan has a B&B in San Francisco. Her best friend, Alicia has asked her to let her fiancée stay there while he finishes his latest book. Carter shows up and it is instant lust for both of them. One big problem - Alicia.

Alicia's first husband died in an accident and left her with two little boys. Carter was his best friend and feels responsible for them, so the marriage proposal. Not tru...more
Brandi
Thanx to Goodreads.com and Sandra Brown, I won this edition in a giveaway. Though I had read this book before, I so enjoyed reading it again.

This book was first published in 1983, so I was thinking that I wold be getting some pretty generic love scenes and overly dramatic dislouge,etc. Boy! Was I wrong. Sandra Brown must have gotten some seriously raised eyebrows on this on. Sloan Fairchild and Carter Madison are super likeable characters. They are two people who have an impossible attraction a...more
Yousra Hesham
"You are the poet, and the poetry." he whispered

I believe every bookworm needs a cheesy romantic book to read every once in a while "or maybe it's just me", a typical romantic story that would keep a smile on your face for a whole day, and that's the right book for it.

the story is extremely usual, the woman who falls in love with her best friend's fiancé and he falls in love with her too so they're stuck between guilt and love, but I loved the storyline, it was a quick light read.

I'm not usually...more
Lu (Sugar & Snark)
Melanie
Sandra Brown brings an interesting read. I found it kinda weird that people can be so purely attracted to someone by just seeing them the first moment for like thirty seconds. That is what happened. It was a little weird and the fact that they were willing to sacrifice everything to be together. I give them credit in the book that they tried, but as a Christian I do not believe that there is a point where someone can not turn away and refuse to continue in a sexual act. On the back of the book i...more
Lubna
I won this book in the GoodReads giveaway. Romance is not something that I often read, but perhaps the pouring rain, made for an ideal setting to snuggle into a comfortable chair and read this.
It is mushy and filled with fantasy love scenes, which I guess all romantic books are.
That said, the story line was good and realistic, I guess such things can happen in real life. Also the setting of a bed and breakfast run by Sloan Fairchild was good.
It was all about the 'heroine' as they would term i...more
Jay
I received this book as part of Goodreads giveaways and first reads.

I'm not big on romance novels as a whole. They're not my preferred genre, and given I find sex scenes a little awkward to read, I readily admit now that I probably skipped a third of this book (and quite a lot of the end!). Even so, I felt this book a little difficult to read, mostly due to the poor leading characters. I know romance characters are meant to be desirable, passionate and ready for a romp in the sack at any given m...more
Robin
Ugh! I really didn't like this book at all. The heroine owns a bed and breakfast. Her best friend has sent her fiancee to stay at the bed and breakfast so he can finish writing his book in peace. Heroine and hero soon fall in love. Kissing ensues but the heroine pushes the hero away when she remembers her best friend. Another kiss, another push. Kiss, push, kiss, push. I threw the book against the wall. My rating: 1 Star.
Carol  MacInnis
I won this book from a contest on Goodreads.

Sandra Brown has always been a favorite author of mine. 'Breakfast in Bed' is a love story that has one too many partners in it. It's a poignant story of a man who loves a woman but is engaged to another. Is this engagement out of obligation or true love? Carter and Sloan have found love at first sight but Carter is engaged to Alicia who is Sloan's closest friend. Although they tried to stay away from each other out of their commitment to Alicia, the l...more
Nicoleta
Linda
I had received this book from "Sandra Brown", Goodreads Author, to review; I have only just started the first couple chapters, It grabs your interest right from the start, with suspense and anticipation of romance.
between Sloan and Carter. Salon runs a bed & breakfast, her best friend (Alicia)is engaged to an Author who is having trouble finishing his book, Alicia makes arrangements for Carter to spend a month at her friend Salons B&B to work on his book. When Salon & Carter meet, th...more
Lena
Stejně jako jiné knížky od téhle úžasné autorky...prostě briliantní, něco od čeho neodtrhnete zrak až do poslední minuty, aneb knížka která vás nenechá spát.
Sandra Brown, stejně jako Nora Roberts si zaslouží jen chválu...
do poslední minuty jsem si myslela, že to dopadne úplně jinak.
Melaslithos
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

This book is a nice little guilty pleasure.

It's far from the best book I read, it's outdated, and some parts really made me cringe, but all in all, I couldn't put it down. Looks like despite all this, I did get swept away by this love story.
Julie Barrett
Breakfast in Bed by Sandra Brown
Sloan runs a bed and breakfast and allows single women and couples, not single men. Except her best girl friends soon to be husband, Carter will be staying there, finishing his novel then onto his wedding with Alesha.
She helps him in writing his book, acting out scenes and things heat up over time and they wonder how they will be able to explain to Aleshi that they couldn't be wed.
She doesn't want to continue with his advances but he's becoming very forceful.
Due t...more
Cindi
I totally love this book. Definitely my favorite Sandra Brown book. I originally read it many, many years ago and have read tons of her books since and this is still my favorite.

Typical cheesy love story. A woman falls in love with her best friend's fiance. The fiance falls in love back. And what do you know? Everything works out dandy in the end. I know it sounds sarcastic but I really, really love this "cheesy" love story.

Sandra Brown's old books have always been my guilty pleasure. This one...more
San
Although this is the first book I completed reading this year, I'm just happy it wasn't what I started the year with. I'm grateful to Nick Hornby for good literature - because no one likes a bad start!

As for Ms Brown, this book was ridiculous! I hated the characters, there was absolutely no plot and personally, I think cheating on your fiancée with her best friend is wrong on SO many levels.

I realise the actual sexual encounter is the highlight of this genre but there has to be some sort of bu...more
Jody
If you like romance stories and I do, you will love this book! I loved all the characters and the storyline. Sloan and Carter fell in love while Carter was engaged to Sloan's best friend. I will not reveal the ending, but I loved the way it ended.

It is a classic by Sandra Brown; it was fun to read about Carter typing his newest novel on a typewriter instead of a computer.

I was lucky enough to win this autographed book from Good Reads! The best part was I also received an audio book by Sandra Br...more
Nameisha Dennis
been on my book self for a while the name Of the book doesn't go with the story. no
April
This book was AWFUL. And believe me, I don't say that lightly. I love books and can usually find something commendable about any of them, but seriously? This book SUCKED. The characters were ridiculous and lacked any kind of depth. The situation they put themselves into was not very believable and the way they chose to deal with it (bury head in sand, whine, lie to self and/or others, repeat) was insulting. Honestly, this was the worst 3 hours I've ever spent in my life. If there was a way to ra...more
  • Where There Is Evil
  • The Case Of The Confirmed Bachelor (Silhouette Desire, #715)
  • Almost Forever (Spencer-Nyle Co, #2)
  • McKettrick's Heart (McKettrick Men, #3) (McKettricks, #8)
  • Aftershocks
  • Going Home: Unfinished Business / Island of Flowers / Mind over Matter
  • The McCaffertys: Matt (McCaffertys)
  • T.L.C.
  • Men of Courage II

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including DEADLINE(2013), LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011), TOUGH CUSTOMER (2010), SMASH CUT (2009), SMOKE SCREEN (2008), PLAY DIRTY (2007), RICOCHET (2006), CHILL FACTOR (2005), WHITE HOT (2004),...more
More about Sandra Brown...
Lethal The Alibi Ricochet Chill Factor Envy