Start by marking “The Dreaming” as Want to Read:
The Dreaming

The Dreaming

Recently orphaned, Joanna Drury, the granddaughter of Outback missionaries, travels to Australia to begin her life anew and to uncover the generations-old curse that has plagued her family. Reprint.
Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Published August 1st 1992 by Avon (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Dreaming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dreaming

Bj
4.5 "Outback Dreaming" Stars for the story and narration!

Historical fiction lovers with elements of romance will love the Australian exploration of the late 1870s intermixed with the rich cultural history and interesting beliefs of the Aborigines of many decades before. From its portrayal of the cultural clashes between the "white man" and the Aborigines (the original inhabitants of Australia) to the lack of acceptance among the British gentry of the "nouveau rich" sheep farmers in Australia, Th
Nikoleta
Jan 30, 2014 Nikoleta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magical-realist
Ιστορικά, λαογραφικά και φανταστικά στοιχεία στολίζουν μια φοβερή περιπέτεια που ξεκινάει το 1871 και λήγει το 1886. Μπορεί η βασική ηρωίδα να είναι η Τζοάνα αλλά "ακούμε" σε κεφάλαια τις ανησυχίες και βιώνουμε τις εξελίξεις της ζωής όλων των ηρώων που περιφέρονται γύρω απο την πρωταγωνίστρια σε τριτοπρόσωπη αφήγηση. Πολύ πρωτότυπο και "ζωντανό" βιβλίο, μου άρεσε πολύ.
Rhonda
Nov 16, 2015 Rhonda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have liked most books by Barbara Wood, but this one seemed overly long. It got tiresome hearing over and over about the dog and serpent nightmares. Don't get me wrong, the book is well written, perhaps it just wasn't a book that appealed to me at the moment.
Amy
Mar 22, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't a book I had heard about elsewhere and was dying to read; it just came across my desk at the library and I snagged it for myself. You can't see the cover, but it's intriguing - Aboriginal designs - and the title "The Dreaming" (a reference to Aboriginal creation stories) and subtitle, "A Novel of Australia" caught my eye. Having recently returned from there and being interested in Aboriginal culture and beliefs, I was hopeful that this book would be well-researched and give me more i ...more
Mela
I wanted to read it because I wanted to know more of history of Australia. Before this novel I have know of this a little from movies and a general knowledge, but I wanted to know more after A Town Like Alice and The Forgotten Sister: Mary Bennet's Pride and Prejudice. In this two books only part of the action takes place in Australia but in was enough for me to make me wanting more. Now I know more. In other words, it was a good lesson about Australia. Furthermore, there are also many other his ...more
Tara Chevrestt
As always, I am incredibly impressed with Barbara Wood's extensive research into any subject, country, or race she writes about. This novel offers an in depth look at the early colonial days of Australia and how the people lived. Readers will learn about Aborginal superstitions, the sheep trade, kangaroos, dingos, and early immigration. During this education, there is a love story or two, tragedy among families, and revenge plots. This novel follows Johanna from India to Australia where she marr ...more
Barbara ★
Australia has interested me since I was a kid and any "Australian saga" fascinates me to no end. I devoured this book and absolutely loved it. Though I will say that the ending was rather abrupt and left things hanging, leaving the reader to interpret how things actually turned out (hence 4 stars and not 5). Reminiscent of the Outback series by Aaron Fletcher which I read and thoroughly enjoyed years ago. This type of book just reinforces my desire to experience the Australian Outback in all it' ...more
Kaycee
Jul 13, 2011 Kaycee rated it it was amazing
Although it has been almost 20 years since I read this book (I read it in college, maybe 1992), it was a favorite of mine for years. The story was mesmerizing and really drew me in. Set in Australia it grew my dream of wanting to visit some day, but most important, the main character. I was endeared to her and it was after reading this Barbara Wood novel that I fell in love with the name Joanna. At the end of the story, I thought the name a beautiful name for an adventurous, courageous and lovin ...more
Dalila.
I did have much time for reading but when I finally had I was very surprised I expected everything but not that I will enjoy every page...The characters came alive and the wonderful blend of storytelling with the richness of the Aborigine culture mixed with the struggles of the settlers of that time . I was surprised to find out the author hadn't lived there; her research was so richly detailed. It made me want to read more of her books.
Dina Goluza
A nice epic story about Australia during nineteenth century. I like chapters of this book about Aborigines and their customs and beliefs.
Constance Lapsati
Dec 02, 2012 Constance Lapsati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Εκπληκτικό βιβλίο, εκπληκτική Barbara Wood !
Φτάνοντας στην τελευταία σελίδα, ομολογώ πως επέστρεψα στην αρχή και ξεκίνησα να το διαβάζω και δεύτερη φορά.
Rouenna
Under the blazing sun of India, Joanna Drury was dreaming again, a recurring nightmare of troubling visions that had long plagued her mother, Emily, too before she died. Thus begins the sweeping tale of a woman's courage to seek out the mystery of a generations-old curse that has haunted her family into the untamed and forbidding land of Australia.

Barbara Wood once again presents us with a strong heroine amidst the roughness and stifling heat of the Outback in mid-nineteenth century. Joanna's st
Laura Carter
I debated over how many stars to give this book: 2 or 3? I finally settled on 3 because I liked it. And that's what 3 stars means.

What I liked:
It was a very original book with an original storyline and subplots. I enjoyed the rich history and how the author wove it all through everyone's stories. The writing itself wasn't bad and there was a lot of interesting explanations and descriptions. I really felt like I could see Australia and the events that were happening. The people came alive and h
Elizabeth
Barbara Wood uses meticulous research and elegant writing to create novels with believable characters and realistic settings that transport the reader to exotic countries and far off times. The Dreaming takes us to Australia in the Victorian Era, when Darwin is an upstart scientist and Jules Verne is writing his inspiring novels.

Young Joanna Drury of colonial India has lost both parents within days of each other and has made a promise to her mother to go to Australia in search of answers to the
Amber Andrews
I like the cover..

I enjoyed the book after about the first quarter of it. It was hard for me to get away from the movie "Australia" in my head while reading the beginning and it didn't help that the main male of the story is named Hugh. Woman on a boat, woman finds child, rears child as own after a while. They end there, and the real story takes off. The love triangle portions were predictable and not really enjoyable, but the main story line is very good. The last half of the book was much bet
Rj Resurreccion
(view spoiler) ...more
Ellen
Jan 04, 2016 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australia
Although I enjoyed this book, I didn't love it, primarily because it couldn't make up its mind what it wanted to be. Is it a romance? A mystery? A look at the bond between mothers and daughters? A social examination of the plight of the Aborigines? Just historical fiction about Australia? I'm still not sure what the central point was. Between the confusing, sometimes pointless side-plots, the random shifts in POV, the time jumps, and that rush job of an ending, it makes for a frustrating read, w ...more
Nadina
Aug 22, 2016 Nadina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first encounter with this author. All in all, it kept my attention throughout the whole (not so small) book. I feared for the ending as the mystery of "the curse" evolved and suspected that it would be hard to satisfy the reader after the unrealistic effects and powers of the curse seemed to pile up, but was somewhat pleasently surprised at the end. Book also represents a wonderful insight into the customs and traditions of Aborigines. However, Joanna's constant nightmares, expressing ...more
Kathleen
Nov 16, 2016 Kathleen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was recommended as "historical fiction" but read like a cheap romantic novel. I'm surprised there wasn't a cheesy picture of Fabio on the cover. I actually tried to force myself through this and ended up skipping the last 20 pages because I truly didn't care what happened to the characters by that point.
I'm sorry I wasted so much of my time reading this book.
Back to my old rule: if it doesn't grab my attention (or is so poorly written as to be laughable), I will not force myself to read it.
Katja
Nov 25, 2014 Katja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
sehr gut recherchierte, aussergewöhnliche Lektüre. eine reise zurück in die unbekannte Welt der Aborigines. es braucht etwas Offenheit für diese art von buch und auch eine Faszination für das magische unerklärliche. wood hat eine elegante Schreibweise, die zu jederzeit fesselt.
einzelne teile des buchs sind etwas in die länge gezogen, dafür kommt das ende sehr abrupt. darum gibt es nur drei von fünf Sternen.
Melissa Morales
This novel is set in Australia following the life of a young English girl who was born and raised in India but whose mother/father death when she was 18 years old sends her on a quest to claim some land left to her mother by her grandparents and to try and uncover the mysteries surrounding the 'curse' her mother believes is on their family. I liked it very much. It's a great saga and I loved the descriptions of Australia and the Aboriginis and their culture/beliefs. A good read.
Kristy
Sep 23, 2013 Kristy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahhhh. Australia. I read The Thorn Birds in middle school and ever since, I have a special lace in my heart reserved for fiction set in Australia. This book has a little bit of romance, some historical fiction, and tons of mystery and adventure. Joanna is looking to solve the mystery of what happened to her grandparents and why her mother felt the family was cursed. It brings in a lot of Aboriginal folklore and I just couldn't put it down.
Dorottya
Dec 18, 2012 Dorottya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I'm not really into spiritual views or anything, but even with that, I loved this book! It was so exciting and interesting and nice-paced, I couldn't even put it down. The characters were real and they were really easy to identify myself with, or see their motivation. I liked that most of their conflicts or inner thought processes was based on basic human life situations and feelings that are present in every age, so I knew what they were going through.
Vikki
May 09, 2011 Vikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really enjoyed this story about pioneer Australians in the 1850's. A girl and her mother were planning a trip to Australia. They were going to find the origins of their family. The mother was bothered by things ( a lot of snakes and mad dogs) that are now bothering her daughter. Unfortunately the mother dies.
Astrid Falkenberg
Oct 20, 2011 Astrid Falkenberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dreaming was the first book I've read by Barbara Wood, and then I tracked down every one of her books. A woman's journey across the Australian outback and her encounters with the aborigines was amazing. She mostly centers her books around female "heroines" in different parts of the world and different eras, and has a definite spiritual spin on her stories, which speaks to me.
Sara
Aug 29, 2014 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I loved all that I learned about Australia in the 1800s, the fascinating lives of the aborigines, the culture clashes, the family mysteries, and the hard work of the sheep farmers. And I really, really loved the mystical aspect of the novel. I felt that the ending was a bit abrupt, though, and I felt a bit unsatisfied by it. Still, I would give another Barbara Wood book a try.
Jami
Feb 11, 2010 Jami rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I liked how happy it was- all the problems/people were resolved and even the characters you think you won't like end up being o.k. The characters were all a little stereotypical (pretty, perfect heroine, ruggedly handsome, honorable hero) but it was a fun read.
Paulette Bosch
Not entirely sure what to think of this book. I do believe she could have gotten to the point quicker and it certainly was a page turner because you were hoping the point of the story was just around the corner. I don't know if I liked this book. I read it so that is that.
Susan
Jan 07, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Barbara Wood book I ever read. I immediately started searching for all of her out-of-print titles. This book really takes you on a journey. It's so well-written with wonderful characters and vibrant scenery. I've longed to visit Australia since I read it.
Andrea
I *wanted* to like this novel: great setting, strong central character, etc. But it was just too mystical and "out there" for me. Plus, it seemed waaaaay too long--could have used some judicious editing.
  • The Adventurers (The Australians, #5)
  • Sins of the Mother
  • The Timeless Land
  • Outback
  • Once Upon a Pirate
  • Dynasty of Death (Barbours/Bouchards, #1)
  • Out of Sight
  • Das Geheimnis der Hebamme (Hebammen Saga, #1)
  • The Dig Tree: The Story of Bravery, Insanity, and the Race to Discover Australia's Wild Frontier
  • Companions of Paradise
  • The Moon Below
  • Autant en emporte le vent, tome 2
  • Dreamcatcher
  • Harvest
Barbara Wood was born on 30 January 1947 in Warrington, Lancashire, England, UK. Together with her parents and older brother, she immigrated to the United States. She grew up in Southern California and attended Los Angeles Schools. After High School, Barbara attended the University of California at Santa Barbara but left to train as a surgical technician. During this time, Barbara held numerous jo ...more
More about Barbara Wood...

“malcriadas, moverse inútilmente” 0 likes