Tom Sawyer, Detective (Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn, #4)
read book* *Different edition

Tom Sawyer, Detective (Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn #4)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  840 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Classic CD Books speaks new life into Mark Twain's greatest detective story. In this once-celebrated sequel of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, Tom and Huck get rescued from spring fever by a serendipitous trip to visit Tom's Uncle Silas. But little did the family know, Tom would be the one to rescue Uncle Silas -- and from much more.
Paperback
Published July 27th 1998 by Blue Unicorn Editions (first published 1896)

To ask other readers questions about Tom Sawyer, Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tom Sawyer, Detective

Maria João Fernandes
"Se pusessem diante de nós um mistério e um pastel, a escolha nem necessitava de ser recomendada, estava feita por si só."

"Tom Sawyer Detective" segue os livros "As Aventuras de Tom Sawyer", "As Aventuras de Huckleberry Finn" e "As Viagens de Tom Sawyer".

Huck Finn é o nosso narrador e, juntamente com Tom Saywer, é o protagonista numa história de mistério que envolve diamantes roubados, um estranho peculiar, um irmão gémeo supostamente desaparecido, uma caça ao homem, um cadáver e uma confissão d...more
Joe
Tom Sawyer Detective. Wow.
Ever seen the Bad News Bears? Walter Matthau and Tatum O'Neal? Pretty good movie. Then they came out with Bad News Bears, Breaking Training and then Bad News Bears Go To Japan. Tom Sawyer Detective serves as the "Bad News Bears Go to Japan" installment of the Tom/Huck franchise.

Yeah, Twain was milking it, but I have to admit this book is still worth reading if only for Twain's inimitable style. In this episode, Tom's uncle goes on trial for murder and Tom Sawyer ends u...more
Dima Yakovenko
"Том Сойер – сыщик", как мне показалось, по духу ближе как раз к самой первой книге в цикле, где большая часть событий происходила в одном городе и близлежащих ему окрестностях, где было много персонажей, погоня за сокровищами, ужасное преступление, тайны и суд, которому было посвящено много времени. Всё это перекочевало в данный рассказ, в котором Том Сойер и Гекльберри Финн расследуют запутанное преступление, от которого зависит судьба дорогого для героев человека. И всё это в какой-то момент...more
Thom Swennes
Tom Sawyer-Detective by Mark Twain is a lesser known codicil to Huckleberry Finn. This twisting tale of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry sees them back down south looking for new adventures. Like the well-known predecessors, this is a beautifully written tale of youth. This short story should be read by all Twain lovers. Published in 1896 this supplement adds more color to both unforgettable characters. I recommend this book to all reading lovers.
Duffy Pratt
At least it's short. I probably would have thought this was OK if it didn't purport to be in Huck Finn's voice. As an ordinary short story, without Huck and Tom, it would be at least mildly diverting. But as a mash-up, it didn't work for me at all. But like I said, it's short.
John
I actually liked this better than either TOM SAWYER (too childish) or HUCKLEBERRY FINN (too episodic). It comes across as a YA version of Sherlock Holmes, only set in the deep South.
Benjamín
I loved The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. This love was cemented early on through picture books and abridged books and Disney's animated cannibalization. When I eventually read Mark Twain's original work, I went through catharsis. And after leaving through Huckleberry Finn, which I had already experienced in a similar case of pop culture osmosis, I was just as satisfied.

And then I found this novel, Tom Sawyer, Detective, which might as well have been called Tom Sawyer in Space. Surely this was a pos...more
Claudia Kwanho
This book was very engaging because of the way Mark Twain voiced the characters. This book was from the point of view of the young sleuth, Tom Sawyer's sidekick, Huck Fin. The book written the way Huck Fin talks, instead of "going to", Huck would say "gunna" and that was the way the book was written which was very interesting because it was informal and unusual. This novel had a surprising twist to the ending in which the deceased victim was not who everyone that it to be. From the beginning of...more
wally
I wonder how many have heard of this one, Tom Sawyer, Detective. Chapter 1 is subtitled "An Invitation for Tom and Huck" Twain is great for that, isn't he? All those subtitles, like the old Cold War cartoons, Bullwinkle and Rocky, wherein there wasn't only a subtitle, but also another, an alternative, like "Tom and Huck set their old nigger free".

Twain writes that strange as the incidents in this story are, they are not inventions....they come from an "old-time Swedish criminal trial..." Leave i...more
B__cherry
Don't mock me. If it's in my shelf, I'm going to read it, even if it's Where's Waldo. This really is something you'd read on a nice day at the beach, because it's a very simple and fast read. Yeah, I haven't got that much to say about it. Well, the only real thing that sprung to mind while I was reading it is that Tom Sawyer is a bit of a knob-head. Why? Well, he drags Huck with him so he can go his flights of fancy with some insurance, you know? At least, if he dies, Huck will too.
Also - and th...more
Jaclyn
I'm only giving this 2 stars because it's Mark Twain, otherwise I wouldn't have been so generous. Had it been any other author, or had it not been written in that older style and had the Twain-style dialect that I really enjoy, I would've given this 1 star. Or maybe I'm being so hard on this book BECAUSE of who the author is, and because I expected better.

After finishing this book, I feel like Twain must have just been trying to milk some more money out of his trusty Tom and Huck without puttin...more
sabisteb
Seit den Abenteuer Huckleberry Finns ist ein Jahr vergangen. Es ist wieder Frühling, als die beiden Jungen eine Einladung von Onkel Silas aus Arkansaw erhalten. Es gibt Ärger mit einem reichen, mächtigen Nachbarn. Brace Dunlap wollte Silas älteste Tochter Benny heiraten, diese jedoch weigerte sich. Um Brace ein wenig zu beschwichtigen, nahm Silas dessen nichtsnutzigen Bruder Jubiter in Dienst, obwohl er sich das eigentlich nicht leisten kann. Nun ist Jubiter verschwunden und man gibt Silas die S...more
Sarah Sammis
Tom Sawyer, Detective is the fourth and final book in a series by Mark Twain. The first two books are more well known than books three and four. In order of publication they are:

* The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876)
* The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1884)
* Tom Sawyer Abroad (1884)
* Tom Sawyer, Detective (1896)

I haven't read Tom Sawyer Abroad but of the three I have read, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is my favorite. Frankly, though, this entire series is among my least favorite books by Tw...more
Michael
Tom Sawyer, Detective, was the last of four books that feature Sawyer and Finn. It's enjoyable enough as a lark, and contains enough Mark Twain witicisms - the man was incapable of being outright boring - to be rather enjoyable.

A lot of discredit goes to the formulaic detective potboilers Twain was mocking. The plot is intentionally ludicrous, the characters are sketches of stock types, and the resolution a tacked-on mockery of a formula lost to time. As such, you'll be scratching your head as...more
Peter Bosson
Another one of the lost Tom Sawyer books. This one is better than the other, Tom Sawyer Abroad, though only slightly. This one takes place in familiar settings to the first two books which helps makes it feel more like a genuine Tom Sawyer tale. This book has some great moments showing off the cleverness of Tom, especially the ending. Huck Finn is basically just the narrator this time and doesn't add much to the story. I wish that Twain has fleshed out the story because the idea of Tom as a dete...more
Chad
Our family purchased this book at the Mark Twain Home Museum Shop in Hannibal, Missouri over the Labor Day weekend in 2010; one hundred years after Twain's death. We thought it would be neat to visit Twian's boyhood home and then read his books together as a family.

We read a chapter each night as they are rather short chapters and it was a neat experience. The story itself is not as strong as Mark Twain's more known pieces of work and it was so short overall that not much really happens. I would...more
Josh Karaczewski
No big mystery in the plot, not much humor, not much of the distinctive Mark Twain or Huck voice, this book is for Mark Twain/Tom & Huck completists only.
Christopher tm
Short novella that reads like an outtake from Huckleberry Finn. Twain's final Tom/Huck story and a better end than "...Abroad".
Tosha Sisler
I would have liked to rate this book a 2.75. I listened to the audio version of this book, edited by Shannon Chappele and read by Bruce Johnson. The recording felt like a low-budget production. Johnson's voice didn't fit the adolescent voice of Finn who narrates the story. The voices of the other characters were also performed inconsistently.
I found some elements of the robbery and murder enticing, but overall the recording was unenjoyable. I may have rated this book higher had I actually read...more
Maria
I thought this was a book I had missed early on, but it turns out I had read it. It was still lovely to read again. Tom has such incredible adventures and loves being in the limelight, a trait he shared with Twain, who had no trouble admitting it. I truly believe that most authors have a need to stand out and be unique or they wouldn't write in the first place. The more I read Twain, the more I realize what a genius he was, and his sense of humor, which he claims he got from his mother, is fabul...more
John
Though it hurts my heart to give Mark Twain a 2, I am afraid that is what I have to do on this one. I liked, as always, the way that Twain wrote this book, but the story itself was so obvious from the beginning that it hardly seemed like a detective story at all.

It really amazes me how fixated Twain was on identical twins. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), stories like Puddin'Head Wilson and Those Extraordinary Twins are far better than this one.

It was a let-down.
AmblingBooks
"A careful and conscious artist, Twain became a master of the technical devices of exaggeration, irreverence, and deadpan seriousness; sensitive to the sound of language, he introduced colloquial speech into American fiction."�The Reader's Encyclopedia

Listen to Tom Sawyer, Detective on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
Robert Zimmermann
I didn't care for this book as much as I did for the other Tom Sawyer books. I just don't think the story was necessary in the chronicles of Tom and Huck's life in the sense that it wasn't much of an adventure as the rest, it was just a crime story. It was good though, just didn't match up to the enjoyment given by the previous two stories.
Lucas
Whenever you think that our current literati might over-sequel their characters to death, read this and/or Tom Sawyer Abroad and remember that the greats did it to. Crassness knows no historical boundaries. Hell, Shakespeare had Merry Wives of Windsor!

It's really hard to tell that this is even the same character.
Susan
This is a cute little short story featuring Tom and Huck, and told in Huck's voice. The two boys solve a mystery involving missing diamonds. The edition I had was labeled "Tom Sawyer, Detective, and Other Stories," but there weren't actually any other stories there. It would be nice to find the others.
Griffin John
I confess I haven't read much of anything by Twain in a LONG time, so diving into this book was like diving naked into an ice cold lake as I'd grown far too comfortable in our PC sterilized world. Even still, something about this book seemed a bit... "Off"... to me. Perhaps it was the POV of the narrator?
Aellai
Esta narrado por Huck, y aunque siempre me ha gustado más que Tom, en este libro Tom ganó la partida… es que es tan lindo! <3
Por que me hace ver como es que Huck admira a su mejor amigo.
También quiero a Huck, obvio.
Es un gran libro, corto, pero me gusto mucho :)
Brittany Noble
This is a light, enjoyable work by Twain. It follows Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn after their original debuts in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. This book could be used with younger crowds as it is short and could appeal to those at a lower reading level.
Linore
This was pure delight, Mark Twain style. It had been so long since I read Twain that I forgot how much plain fun his writing is. Well worth the short time it takes to read this delightful story. (It's not a novel, just a short story.)
Jim
Bit of enjoyable fluff with a far-out plot, really, sort of like Twain set out to write a fanfic featuring his own characters. As a kid I found it reasonably entertaining, but I don't know if it would hold my interest as an adult.
  • Waiting for The Rain
  • Pull Down the Night
  • The Sunbird (The Lion Hunters, #3)
  • A Child Again
  • Allan Quatermain
  • The Disintegration Machine
  • The Ghost in the Third Row (Nina Tanleven, #1)
  • The Valley of the Moon
  • Trafalgar
  • The Happy Hollisters (Happy Hollisters, #1)
  • The Beetle Leg
  • Five Complete Hercule Poirot Novels (ABC Murders / Cards on the Table / Death on the Nile / Murder on the Orient Express / Thirteen at Dinner)
  • The Trail of the Lonesome Pine
  • দীপু নাম্বার টু
  • The Last of the Plainsmen
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • The Coral Island
  • Incredibly Strange Music, Vol. One
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work...more
More about Mark Twain...
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn The Adventures of Tom Sawyer The Prince and the Pauper A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court The Adventures of Tom Sawyer & Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

“Because in my nature I have always run to pie, whilst in his nature he has always run to mystery.” 1 likes