Start by marking “A Dog's Tale” as Want to Read:
A Dog's Tale

A Dog's Tale

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  874 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
This anthology is a thorough introduction to classic literature for those who have not yet experienced these literary masterworks. For those who have known and loved these works in the past, this is an invitation to reunite with old friends in a fresh new format. From Shakespeare's finesse to Oscar Wilde's wit, this unique collection brings together works as diverse and in ...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Minerva Group Inc (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about A Dog's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dog's Tale

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumThe Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan DoyleThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonPeter Pan by J.M. Barrie
Best Books of the Decade: 1900's
185th out of 268 books — 522 voters
Peter Pan by J.M. BarrieThe Cherry Orchard by Anton ChekhovThe Marvelous Land of Oz by L. Frank BaumThe Tale of Benjamin Bunny by Beatrix PotterThe Sea Wolf by Jack London
Best of 1904
19th out of 22 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Koko
Jul 16, 2012 Koko rated it it was amazing
Part of a good author's job is to make the reader think. Having read the other reviews of "A Dog's Tale" (and of "A Horse's Tale" as well) I think some of the reviews may be missing the point.

I agree wholeheartedly that in all, it is an upsetting story. I also agree that it is probably not suitable for young children. Speaking as someone who loves her dog, one reading was certainly enough for me. However, there are deeper things at work here, and they should be looked into.

Consider that "A Dog's
MaryAnn
Sep 06, 2011 MaryAnn rated it it was amazing
At first the story was engaging, funny and full of life. The ending was that like a heavy hammer hitting one on the head. I cried and cried and cried at the cruelty to such innocence. And struck by the turn of events in the writing.

I felt rage and anger over this book and the author, but decided I would reserve my opinion until I researched Mark Twain's opinion on animals. I was relieved that he was an advocate for animals and supported anti-vivisection. (See Note below.)

If you are a dog lover,
Book'd
Jul 19, 2013 Book'd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Book'd by: The Cover Page
"My father was a St. Bernard, my mother was a collie, but I am a Presbyterian. " and starts the tale of Aileen Mauvourneen.

How often does one come across tales that leave you asking for more, as though the book had never ended? And imagine if it had to be mere 50 odd pages? No matter how unexpected but this was that book which left me feeling rather incomplete and what do they say, speechless?

Being the kind of animal-lover that I am; especially dog-lover, I am always on the look-out for books o
Amanda
Dec 15, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it
Well, I scratched my dog's belly for a full night after this one.
Sheila
Jan 08, 2015 Sheila rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dog-books, classics
ARGH! NO!! Mark Twain!?!? What are you doing to me!?!

I have had this short story by this well loved author on my kindle for ages, and last night was looking for something for a quick read and thought, "What could be nicer that a short dog story by Mr. Mark Twain?"

Well, the answer is "Anything would have been better!"

It is not the language I have the problem with either, as Mr. Twain writes as well as ever, it is the story itself, the horror, the pain, the abuse that the dog suffers! The beatin
Shanti
Feb 09, 2012 Shanti rated it really liked it
I took to reading this book first thing in the morning. Instantly, I was taken into the life of Aileen, the people she loved, her extremely beautiful description of her mother, the classy subtlety with which Mark Twain has described her pup's father, indirectly portraying the scenario of women in those times where they could only grieve and do little else, fear, happiness, respect and undying love Aileen could feel even more than a warm-hearted human being. I did not want it to end the way it en ...more
Muhammad Shakhawat Hossain
Jul 08, 2013 Muhammad Shakhawat Hossain rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, english
A brilliant piece of writing! Twain in his comical tone describes the cruelties practised upon the animals in his time. The reader is being put in the position of a female pet dog and is experienced a 'dogly' journey with her masters. A depressing story that builds up anger inside you while reading. Sarcasms are very often, scattered here and there (the usual Twain) and it begins with a curious opening line "My father was a St. Bernard, my mother was a collie, but I am a Presbyterian". A deservi ...more
Alexandria
Apr 17, 2011 Alexandria rated it it was amazing
A Dog's Tale is a short story that begins with Twain's usual flair for wit and humor and ends most surprisingly with a tragic bow. Written to express his views on animal experimentation, Twain leaves us in no doubt of his disgust and disapproval as he tells us of a bright, but niave female doggie who saves her family's baby from a fire only to be ultimately rewarded be having her own pup the subject of her scientificly bent owner's experimentation - by which the pup quickly perishes. Its a sad t ...more
Prashant
Apr 13, 2012 Prashant rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
Twain strikes just at the right place with this short story of a dog, covering right from the time when it was a puppy in care of its mother to the time when it had a new life with new owners and its own young one.

The story is tragic and I don't know what to make of it by the end.
If he wanted to tell us how heartless human, science, rationality and objectivity could be, there couldn't be a better example than this one right here!
Eimad
Oct 19, 2015 Eimad rated it liked it
A short story of Mark Twain. The title tells it all. Its has a bit similarity with a Malay folklore I read in my childhood. Or is it a short story? I can't really recall it. This is a story of a dog from a puppy to a mother. She played her memories of her mother in the first chapter about how her mother managed to dazzle other dogs with big words even though she knew nothing of the words. This is classic Mark Twain poking fun at us humans ; having all kind of big talks without really understand ...more
Valerie Kite
Feb 20, 2012 Valerie Kite rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone with a heart
Recommended to Valerie by: no one
Short story is moving with powerful message. Heartwarming and proof dog is better than man. One wishes the planted pup WOULD sprout somehow.
Neelam Babul
Mar 23, 2016 Neelam Babul rated it it was amazing
A beautiful tale revolving around the dedication and loyalty of man's loyal friend - his dog. It tells of how a young puppy is nurtured by his mother and is bought by another family whom he serves honestly risking his own life to save the master's son.

However man rewards his bravery with a beating causing him to have a limp forever and even intentionally blinding his newly born puppy just to experiment on blindness leading to death.

Though a short story it describes how evil and selfish humans c
Joseph Sverker
A wonderful little tale indeed, and also heartbreaking. Twain is able to weave in an impressive amount of topics to be discussed in this book and with considerable wit (as usual). One thing that bothers me though and that I can't get my head around is why he talks about religion and of the dog as presbyterian. In the beginning I thought that this would be a short story mocking that somehow. Maybe it is, but then I must have missed it. Does religion (prebytarianism?) actually play any part in thi ...more
Knarik Avetisyan
Sep 22, 2014 Knarik Avetisyan rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The book is told from the standpoint of a loyal household pet, a dog self described by the first sentence of the story; "My father was a St. Bernard, my mother was a collie, but I am a Presbyterian." The story begins with a description of the dog's life as a puppy and her separation from her mother, which to her was inexplicable. Her puppy and her owner's new child were soon added to her new home. When a fire breaks out in the nursery, the dog risks her life to drag the baby to safety. In the pr ...more
Kristian Rigdon
Sep 21, 2014 Kristian Rigdon rated it really liked it
This short story is written through the eyes of a dog, his life starts of wonderful and safe and then it turns tragic. His master was an evil scientist who killed his puppy, by experimenting on the puppy. Which left the dog broken hearted, I think the dog sadly and slowly died.
I think the short story was a good look at how dogs see the world, and there loyalty to their owners.
It was a good book, it made me love my dog even more.
Rachna
Mar 20, 2013 Rachna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, animals
Alexis Chateau
Mar 29, 2016 Alexis Chateau rated it it was amazing
This book caught my attention from the very first line:

"My father was a St. Bernard, my mother was a collie, but I am a Presbyterian."

I usually don't fancy stories told from animal perspectives. I've long outgrown that since my childhood days of Charlotte's Web, but I decided to give the book a try anyway because it was, after all, the work of the great Mark Twain.

I was not disappointed.

There is so much more to the book than a mere dog's tale. It tells of sacrifice and dilligence and selflessn
Sarah Jacquie
Jun 22, 2014 Sarah Jacquie rated it it was amazing
Anyone who reads this and isn't affected / didn't find it sad - I don't want to know you.

Neither does my dog. But... I'll take him to your yard so he can leave a nice big turd on it.
Chio
Feb 14, 2016 Chio rated it did not like it
Es una porqueria de libro, sobre maltrato animal, es una perdida de tiempo leerlo, no se lo recomiendo a nadie. Lo odie.
Katie Anderson
Feb 19, 2016 Katie Anderson rated it liked it
Just reinforces the fact that I love dogs way more than humans.
Gayathri ATMusingsOverNothing
Originally reviewed for Musings Over Nothing

The short story is so well written that I can relate the characters (dogs or not) to people from real life. Be it, Aileen or Aileen's mother or the family members. I loved the confidence and drive to be better in Aileen's mother, and I could actually visualize people who make up words on the go and make a stand that they were true just like her. Yes Aileen was a Presbyterian according to her. But hey, she brought her pup alright.

“I didn't have time to
Archana
Dec 22, 2014 Archana rated it it was amazing
I did cry after reading this :-(
Camille
This short story is 30 pages long and yet is some sort of rollercoaster of emotions. It's brilliant!
√RA
Feb 03, 2014 √RA rated it really liked it
This is, for the record, the most depressing and miserable short story I have had for years. Aileen Mavourneen and her sudden misfortune (all triggered by fire and bravery) in the hands of a heartless-boor-scumbag master is unbearable. For she almost sacrifice her life for his goddamn child. There is certainly nothing to be proud of upon murdering such fine creatures for the sake of some stupid lab experiment.

We, humans, often label them as "beasts" but in a manner of committing vicious ideas tu
Lector Inspector
Mar 24, 2014 Lector Inspector rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Effective and affecting. Well written and written later (1904), as a semi-expose of the wrongs of animal testing, than I imagined. This story will get to the guts of any sentimentalist (and rip and R.I.P. them out)
- so be warned - it is unrelenting. Some may accuse it of plagiarism/recycling (the "Dog" of the tale who is actually a "Bitch"
is punished when her attempts to a rescue a baby are misinterpreted as an attack as in the fable of the bloodied (and RE-bloodied) wolf) and mawkishness but it
sany
Dec 19, 2013 sany rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Hardly 50 pages, a story told from a dog's perspective and written/published in 1904 - I cannot believe this is the one that touched me the most. It choked me up and left my eyes watery.
Either, I have a lot to catch up on other writings or he is as good as they say he is.
Kate Bystrova
Oct 07, 2014 Kate Bystrova rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like to think
Well-written story that steals into the reader's heart even in its brevity. Food for thought, certainly – treatment of animals, taking advantage of people (and beings) who know or understand less than you, learning without understanding, people who can make one feel inferior through their confidence despite not actually knowing much themselves. Arrogance. Not taking even a moment to consider the impact of one's actions. Viewing beings as inferior to oneself because they don't measure up to what ...more
Nicholas Miller
Dec 26, 2015 Nicholas Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
There's not much to say about this short story other than the fact that it was very good. I didn't really know what to expect from it. So I just jumped in.

The story is told from a dog's point of view. She tells us about her mother and how smart she was. The dog's mother had a big vocabulary and used it to impress all the dogs in the neighborhood (although, she didn't really know what all the words and phrases meant). Then one day the narrator was adopted into a loving family.

I won't go further
Kalen
Oct 16, 2013 Kalen rated it it was amazing
I don't think I've ever been so moved by a story written with so few words. If this story does not affect you in some way then you have no soul. The master says his dog can "reason" but shows no reasoning of his own.
Madelyn Neal
  • The Grey Woman
  • The Story of an Hour
  • The Confession
  • Black Kiss
  • Daredevil: The Man Without Fear (#1)
  • Ivan the Fool
  • Happy Endings
  • Raggedy Ann Stories
  • Eleven
  • Birds of Prey #1
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work
More about Mark Twain...