Start by marking “The Society (Society, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Society (Society, #1)

The Society (Society #1)

The black-ops government agency called Sigma broke Justin Delgado, trained his psionic talent, and turned him into a killer. Then he escaped and joined the Society, an underground resistance movement of psions determined to use their talents to bring Sigma down. Competent, cold, and cruelly efficient, he s the best operative the Society has, a legend among the psions who f ...more
Published August 15th 2005 by ImaJinn Books

To ask other readers questions about The Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Society

Shelley
**I received this book for free from (Publisher) via (NetGalley) in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Paranormal Romance
*Rating* 3.0

*My Thoughts*

The Society is the first book in the Society series by author Lilith Saintcrow who also wrote the Dante Valentine and Jill Kismet series which I have read. This story features two entirely different characters who are brought together by a group known as The Society to fight
Diana Francis
Oct 10, 2015 Diana Francis rated it it was ok
I received this book from NetGalley.

I enjoy reading Lilith Saintcrow. I was looking forward to The Society quite a bit and sadly found myself disappoisocietynted. It has a terrific premise, but it wasn't executed as well as I hoped and then the big one for me . . . Well, I'll get to that in a minute. First, the book description:

Will she be the Society’s salvation . . . or its downfall?

Peep (Pop! Pop!)
I don't even know why I read this book. I wanted to like it, I thought it had an interesting sypnopsis.

I liked the idea of people having Psi's, special abilities that deadheads (not those, these are just normal humans with no powers) don't have. Some have telekenis, others can do other stuff that the book made you think was important but I just wasn't impressed.

I don't think that there was enough development. We are told that Del is the hard guy who people fear. Really, every time he's out oth
SheLove2Read
He's an operative so deadly that his own team members are afraid of him. She's an untrained psi with uncharted powers. Sounds like the making of a great paranormal series, right?

Oh so wrong.

This book starts out fast paced and never lets up, which is normally a good thing. However, what I read of this, it's an incomplete info dump from one chapter to the next. We're told Delgado is scary and feared by his own teammates, but never told why. Rowan is said to be an off-the-charts psychic with powers
Lyndi
Jan 31, 2015 Lyndi rated it really liked it
Really poor foreshadowing about the villain, but otherwise I really enjoyed this one.

Edit: Okay, so this story ends with the H/h separated due to circumstances beyond their control. Definite cliffhanger. So I went to check out the sequel and find out how the story ends, but the sequel is SEVEN FUCKING DOLLARS. For 200 pages. No way in hell. I desperately want to know what happens between Rowan and Delgado, but not desperately enough to pay that much.

Second Edit: HA! A friend had a copy. I just
Mara
May 15, 2012 Mara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lilith Saintcrow's hardcore fans :)
Shelves: urban-fantasy
A younger Ms Saintcrow. You can already get a glimpse of future stories and writing style, if somewhat weaker.

The heroine lacks the strength of her future counterpart(s), even if she is in no way a doormat (maybe bland, she is shocked most of the book). The hero is excessively brooding, and it's not that clear what his strength is.

The plot is slowly paced, notwithstanding what the story tells. Beware the cliff-ending.

All in all, a nice read.
AudioBookReviewer
Jun 07, 2017 AudioBookReviewer rated it really liked it
My original The Society audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Rowan has spent a lifetime hiding from herself and others.  She has hidden her secret talents away making herself almost unnoticeable until one day she meets Justin Delgado.  Delgado is an undercover operative for the Society.  He learns quickly of Rowan’s power and their strength.  He determines he must save her from Sigma, an evil black-ops government agency looking to turn her into an order obeying obj
Angie
Jul 29, 2015 Angie rated it it was amazing
I for one really enjoyed this book very much and I am extremely picky when it comes to Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy. So, for me to love this book as much as I did is really saying something. The concept was fantastic as well as the way it was executed. But, then I enjoy Lilith Saintcrow as an author, so I guess it's no big surprise.
Admittedly, after a few chapters, I had some doubts about whether or not I would like Rowan. There were a couple of brief periods where she started to come
˚✧₊⁎ѕαи∂у⁎⁺˳✧༚
Powerful story with beautiful cliffhangerヾ(︶`♡)ノ

The Story・*:..。o○☆*゚

This is an urban fantasy set in the real world. The story is about those with psychic abilities who are hunted by a special branch of the government called Sigma. These people are kidnapped, tortured, and coerced into doing their biding by using an addictive type of drug called Zed. Making those with psychic powers into weapons.

The heroine in the story has known since little she was different. She considers herself a freak. Ro
Anita
I enjoyed this book like junk food, because it's very much a romance, but I found the story entirely unoriginal and I hated the cliffhanger ending. I did like the psychic powers, though I would have enjoyed the story more if the author had spent more time on those powers.

Basic premise: There are people born with extraordinary mind powers - firestarters, mind readers, empaths, telekinetics, etc. There's a black ops untouchable government branch (Sigma) that kidnaps and drugs these people to use
Mary
Feb 15, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
First released in 2005, The Society was just rereleased with a new cover (ooh! Top off!). You can tell that this is one of Saintcrow's first book, before she really found her niche in the urban fantasy realm. In this story, there are two factions: one government and one rogue. The government is the bad guy here, as they drug and brainwash their psychics, rather than working with them and helping them, as the rogue faction does. Del rescues Rowan and brings her to the rogue faction -- she's suppo ...more
Tara Stone
Oct 14, 2009 Tara Stone rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
The premise was fascinating, but I never warmed up to the characters.
Angela
Dec 01, 2015 Angela marked it as deals  ·  review of another edition
1 December 2015: $1.99 on Kindle
Michelle
Jun 19, 2017 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, audiobook
I received a free copy of this book at my own request and I am leaving this voluntary review.

SPOILERS AHEAD! I expected this to be a straight romance novel given the cover and synopsis, but I'd probably either call it an urban fantasy with heavy romantic elements or an extended romance book, where you don't get an HEA yet but it'll come in future installments. So I was mildly disappointed about that, but not enough to stop with the series. Delgado was a giant teddy bear and was a very cutely wri
Michelle VanDaley
Jun 09, 2017 Michelle VanDaley rated it liked it
My review is based on the Audiobook. The core story is a good one but the application is slow and tedious. I like strong characters, especially ones who overcome horrible circumstances but Rowan is just a whiney over apologetic whimp and it takes her way to long to find her strength. Delgado is supposed to be a strong operative but he becomes whipped & weak- willed way too quickly for my liking. I held hope that the story would pick up but it didn't. Rayna Cole did a magnificent job as narra ...more
Athena
Jun 14, 2017 Athena rated it really liked it
Lynda
Jun 16, 2017 Lynda rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in this series, with its interesting characters and suspenseful plot, I'll be listening to the next book. It's like riding a rollercoaster following Rowen's voyage into her new life along with her mentor Delgado.
Sonja
Dec 22, 2015 Sonja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I ended up really enjoying this book. The main characters were great and the story kept me wanting to read more. I haven't read a book about people with mental powers before, but I like how this one made it seem realistic and possible.

I loved Delgado. Having been tortured and pretty much broken by the bad government guys, Sigma, because of what he can do, he was eventually rescued by the Society. And has become the leader's right hand man. Even so, a lot of the people around him fear him. But he
Dolly
I'm pretty sure I read The Society when it was first released but that means I wouldn't have it as an e-book and probably passed it on for a friend to read when I reduced my book collection. I'm very glad I got the chance to re-read The Society.

What I liked: Ms Saintcrow can and does come up with some pretty intriquing storylines. She just happeded to hit all my buttons with The Society. Psychics!!! I love stories about psychics; I've read just about every book I could find featuring psychics.

M
Wendy
Aug 31, 2015 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review copy provided by Publisher for review.

Justin Delgado is a former government black ops Sigma operative who is now working for the Society, an organization trying to protect those with psychic abilities. Sigma's main goal is to control or wipe out anyone with psychic abilities. By chance, while on assignment, Justin comes across a very powerful untrained psychic. Rowan has no idea there is a name for her abilities, nor is she proud of them. She has hid them for most of her life. Suddenly, s
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Fast paced, government killers and psychics makes The Society a fun read. Always a fan of Ms. Saintcrow's underdogs, Rowan Price is the latest in need of protection and sticking it to "The Man". Rowan lives a regimented life. Since she was young, she possessed powers which disturbed her. Her father did the best to help her. Still, Rowan doesn't want anything to do with it. When Rowan makes the mistake of being a good neighborhood watch person, she finds a group of "ghost" hunters instead of kids ...more
Jewelrymuse
Jul 30, 2015 Jewelrymuse rated it really liked it
***Received a copy of this story via NetGalley for a honest review.
"The Society", book 1of a 2 book series, by Lilith Saintcrow was an interesting read for a urban paranormal story with a touch of romance and a heartache of a cliffhanger.
Rowen Price works as a nurse and counselor at a mental facility. She tries to live as if she is normal and stay invisible all the while she believes she is a freak because of her unwanted gifts.
She crosses paths with Justin Delgado who has his own deadly gift.
De
Cindy
Delgado is with his team at an abandoned house when Rowan stumbles upon them. Immediately he recognizes her as a psion and a powerful one at that. He's in need of recruiting her to his cause, The Society, before the black ops government agency, Sigma gets their grubby hands on her. However, keeping her safe for the long haul proves difficult, and Delgado can't keep ignoring his growing feelings for the new girl.

At the beginning of The Society, I kept thinking, 'Why have I never heard of this bef
Danielle Gypsy Soul
Jun 01, 2015 Danielle Gypsy Soul rated it really liked it
I had actually read this book back when it was first released but it was wonderful to read it again. I had forgotten a lot of the book but remembered that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Society is a keep-you-up-too-late book. I couldn't put it down until I finished it.

This book is a UF book with a bit of a romance set in our world but with people who have psychic powers. A covert branch of the government kidnaps the psychics and then coerces them into using their powers as a weapon.

The h is a psyc
Olivia Fox
Oct 22, 2015 Olivia Fox rated it really liked it
Lilith you are a genius and very evil. YOU CANNOT LET ME HANGING LIKE THAT! Of all the endings you HAD TO do that.

Well, this book is a bit frustrating. Justin, as the heroine calls him, or Delgado, for everyone else, is difficult to say the least. He feels a bit guilty because he takes advantage of the close relationship he's developing with Rowan to make her more amendable to help The Society. Despite this, there's no action until late into the story (my frustration).
I'm diving into the next o
Marie  Brown (Marie's Tempting Reads)
Marie's Tempting Reads Netgalley ARC Review:

The Society really captures the readers attention. I love the sci-fi feel to the action and everything comes together really well. The characters are well developed and the plot is thrilling and exciting.

I am intrigued with this world and am excited about this particular series by Lilith Saintcrow. She definitely is an author to look out for. This book got a FOUR SHOOTING STARS! Its edgy, crackles with passion, and will have the reader sitting on the
Maurynne  Maxwell
May 29, 2011 Maurynne Maxwell rated it liked it
Read this after Demon's Librarian, it's one of her first. I hope she continues the librarian series one day. She has gotten better as a writer and I will probably read the older books, but not her most recent two series (except I'm trying the YA one). The romance element is a little too center stage for her to make my top echelon, but she is very readable.
Belle
Sep 02, 2015 Belle rated it liked it
It's a bit of reach to give this three stars because it feels like it needs an extensive re-write. This is apparently an early work for Saintcrow. I love having authors re-release books, but usually the books feel as if the editor put some time into updating. Not in this instance.

But - the story is interesting, hence the 3 star rating.
Sara Wilson
May 20, 2015 Sara Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Good One

Non stop action, interesting premise, believable characters, sexy. SaintCrow is a consistently entertaining writer. Warning this is not a full novel.....I hate that but it seems to be the style these days. Ending in a cliffhanger you will have to read the next one.
Mina Soare
Feb 25, 2010 Mina Soare rated it it was ok
Shelves: war
Lame-ass romance for a lame beginning - snowing, after school lessons and staying with my grandparents all in one - no excuse
  • A Perfect Darkness (Offspring, #1)
  • Bring It On (Retrievers, #3)
  • Back to the Dream  (Dreamlands, #2)
  • Happy Hour of the Damned (Amanda Feral, #1)
  • Dancing with the Devil (Nikki & Michael, #1)
  • Insatiable Desire (Demonborn, #1)
  • Tears of the Sea
  • Doomsday Can Wait (Phoenix Chronicles, #2)
  • Ravyn's Flight (Jarved Nine #1)
  • Grave New Day (Jess Vandermire, #3)
  • Pyrogasm
  • My Immortal Protector (MacDonell Brides #4)
  • Paul's Dream (Touching Fire, #1)
  • Perilous Partnership (Partnership in Blood Spin-Off #1)
  • The Recalling of John Arrowsmith (A Strange Place in Time, #1)
  • Shadow Dance (Shadow & Dagger, #3)
  • Hell's Belles (Hell on Earth, #1)
  • The Seventh Veil (Etsey Novels, #1)
Lilith Saintcrow was born in New Mexico, bounced around the world as an Air Force brat, and fell in love with writing when she was ten years old. She lives in Vancouver, Washington, in a house full of stray cats and children.
More about Lilith Saintcrow...

Society (2 books)
  • Hunter, Healer (Society, #2)