Start by marking “The Coconut Oil Miracle” as Want to Read:
The Coconut Oil Miracle

The Coconut Oil Miracle

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  725 ratings  ·  118 reviews
Use nature's elixir to lose weight, prevent heart disease, cancer, and diabetes, and beautify skin and hair.

Can saturated fat be good for you?

Natural coconut oil-not the hydrogenated version often found in processed foods-is a saturated fat, but not the kind your doctor has warned you about. Studies have shown that this uniquely curative oil actually has innumerable he
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 256 pages
Published September 9th 2004 by Avery Trade (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Coconut Oil Miracle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coconut Oil Miracle

Margaret
This is a very unconventional book from what is taught in nutrition courses. It is very necessary for students to read this as medium chain fats are hardly ever discussed. It took me a hard time to digest the material simply because I had been so brainwashed in school but after I got over it, I practiced it on myself and have seen a vast improvement in my health and my childrens'. Anyone interested in nutrition and health should have a copy of this book. As a nutritionist, I will vouch for it... ...more
Rebecca Mcneish
Interesting how there was not one negative review here. Come on think people don't be like sheep. The book is skeptical. Yes I'm using coconut oil. With every claim he makes I check the reference. Mind you he failed completely to use not one footnote. Proving his lack of scientific writing skills. Editor is? Not found! Furthermore when studies are done only in mice that does not by any means say same results will occur in humans.

Specifically on p. 104 his, "Skin elasticity test " is so very bog
Christie
I thoroughly enjoyed reading "The Coconut Oil Miracle". Having been a proponent of the use of coconut oil myself, I found so many additional ways in which to incorporate it into my daily life...not only in recipes, but also for hair and skin care. There are several recipes in the back of the book that I plan on using, as well; and I had no idea how much the soybean industry and our own government had brainwashed us, for many, many years, into believing that polyunsaturated fats were better for u ...more
Fiona Endsley
Anyone with any health problems, especially digestive issues, or who wants to best preserve the good health they do have, should take advantage of the wealth of great info/research pesented in this book.
One of my children had had some physical/behavioral symtoms that lead me to use a glutenfree/casein free diet for awhile(and a fish oil supplement), which helped a good deal, but there was still clearly a piece of the puzzle missing. Coconut oil/milk/meat has been that piece. It's potent healing
Jodi
I'm so annoyed I didn't come to the idea of using coconut cream and coconut oil as replacements for dairy products sooner!

I wish so much I had. The coconut ice creams and hot chocolates and other dishes I have been making since reading this book, and others like it, are just delicious and so good for you as well. I've been going a bit coconut crazy I have to admit!

This book is just excellent. If you aren't convinced that eating coconut oil, with its high level of HEALTHY saturated fat is good fo
Jeremy
Pretty interesting book on a natural food source that has fallen out of vogue. I thought it was odd that the only place I saw coconuts, coconut oil and coconut milk was at health food stores (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc.). Why would that be if it's not healthy to consume? A friend of mine answered that question by providing this book to me. I'm glad he did.
While not the most articulate or eloquent piece of writing you'll run across, Fife takes the time to break down cocunut's history (pushed
Sally
This was a more interesting book than I had first thought it would be. I have used coconut oil a little in the past but I think he's made me a believer and I will be making it a part of our diet in the future. I usually look at stuff like this with a bit of a jaded view but I passed certain facts past my pharmacologist husband and he didn't disagree with the author. Looking at a new style of cooking and eating!
Marti
My sister gave this book to me for my birthday, along with a jar of 100% virgin coconut oil, which I am about to try. It is very interesting, though somewhat repetitive. It is also a little hard to believe that coconut oil and other forms of coconut can be as good for a person as Bruce Fife claims. I will know better just what it can do after I try some of the recipes, and perhaps use it on my skin and hair as suggested. There are little stories of how other persons benefitted from the use of it ...more
Merry
Jun 29, 2009 Merry rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to eat better, feel better, look better
Recommended to Merry by: self
Shelves: health
Oils... saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated.....these and so much more are discussed in this very informative book....the nutritional and health benefits of coconut. Also includes recipes to experience the "healing miracles of the perfect food". Well written, easy to understand, even the chapter that discusses the chemical make up of oils to support the scientific foundation. I found this book informative and I had a better understanding of why some oils are good and others are bad.

Sharon

This book has good info, but is a bit outdated; this book was first published in the 90's and cites studies from this time. It's such a shame that negative advertising against the tropical oils has driven the public and food manufacturing to the consumption and use of oils that's making so many Americans fat. I'm going to give coconut oil a try, although some of the author's claims seem too good to be true!
Cheryl Boyd
After reading this book and doing other research I added coconut oil to our diet and cut out other fats except raw butter and some olive oil (but not for cooking since heat destroys a lot of what is good in olive oil) and Richard and I both have already noticed that we feel better and have more energy. That's after only a few weeks.
MH Nolde
This book was a wealth of information. I am shocked at how much coconut oil can help many people and how it is processed in the body! Not only does coconut oil help with thyroid disorders but you can use it as a topical lotion! If you are interested in learning more about your health and wellness, I highly recommend this book.
Linda
I was disappointed in this book perhaps because it came highly recommended to me and I expected more.

Most of the book is about coconut oil, what it is and why you would want to use it. The main reasons given boil down to: lose weight, prevent heart disease, cancer and diabetes, strengthen the immune system and beautify skin and hair. On the cover, it touts that the book includes 50 delicious recipes. There's one chapter devoted to recipes and I wasn't impressed with them. There are no pictures a
Steven
Interesting concept, very sciency. Would probably under stand it more if I was a science major. Going to try using coconut oil in my food and on my skin for a couple of months, see if there are any changes. Will change my review stars based on the results.
Jonna
Everyone should read this book. Tons of good information that is so important for your family's nutrition. A little bit repetitive at times (only reason I didn't give it 5 stars), but very good otherwise.
Cheryl
This book was very informative. I actually read it in two days because it was so interesting. I am implementing coconut oil into my diet and have gotten rid of the oils he indicated were bad for me.
Sonja Sutton
This has been a amazing book. Almost my whole life I ave been told to stay away from this fat. I have so much more energy and just essentially feel better. Thanks so much for writing this book!
Caroline
I really liked this book explaining the science behind coconut oil. It got a little too scientific for me in some parts but for the most part, the book was written for the lay person.
Mia
I loved this book! There was so much to know about coconut oil. I now use it every day for many different things! There are great recipes in the back as well.
Morgan
I'm on the coconut oil bandwagon. I use it every day and it's good to know all the health benefits.
Artattack
The author likes to repeat himself a lot in this book. Other than that it is pretty good book.
Iona  Main Stewart
I had been looking forward to reading this book for a long time before I actually managed to get hold of it. And I wasn't disappointed.

It turns out that we have all been deceived about the saturated fat in coconut oil being harmful.

Coconut oil is composed primarily of medium- and short-chain fatty acids. The medium-chain fatty acids are broken down and used mostly for energy production - thus they produce energy not fat. They have no negative effect on blood cholesterol and help protect against
Qi
As a food source, coconut is flavorful and delicious. But it has a strong cultural backing to its popularity. It is nothing miraculous medicinally: this is a type of oil that is calorically same to other oil, with a medium fatty acid chain which has no clear-cut medical implication. The research cited are largely small sample observational studies with no convincing evidence to cure modern ills such as CHD and obesity.

What does contra its heart-disease fighting property is the emerging obesity
Angie
I checked this book out looking for a specific piece of information and ended up gaining a lot more knowledge than expected. Wow! Coconuts (oil, milk, meat) should be labeled as a super food and should be incorporated into everyone's diet. In addition to the numerous health benefits the oil provides, it is 100% cholesterol free which makes it the perfect cooking and baking oil. I have started using the oil in my diet and topically as a skin conditioner and while I haven't been able to determine ...more
Jennifer Jones
This is a highly interesting and information laden book. I do believe it's a fair bit longer than it needs to be but it's still a valuable read if you're new to the "ancestral health" or "food as the basis for good health" world.

As a hypothyroid sufferer, many of the recommendations do not apply, however, for example, eating a TBSP or two of coconut oil, will not magically make you lose weight. This may work for some, and I know it has, but not for all.
Amber Polo
"A completely revised and updated guide..."

This review is not really about the content. I think the content is great. I believe in the coconut oil miracle. Yet, when comparing the 5th edition (2013) to the 4th edition (2004) I see basically no changes. I bought the 5th hoping there would be new research, new proof, new conclusions. I was disappointed.
I found no new forward or introduction. One website added to the Resources section. The Product section was dropped. In References (chapter bibli
Debbie
Seems like this ancient tropical fruit could be a panacea for many diseases that plague us in the modern world. Great information with studies to back it up. We have made the switch, replacing all our oils to coconut oil, and look forward to seeing the health improvements this book boasts of. The only downside to the book for us is the recipes--many are not suitable for those following a gluten-free diet due to celiac disease.
Betty
I have finished The Coconut Oil Miracle and am pretty much convinced to try the coconut oil and coconut addition to my diet. I don't usually go along with alternative ideas about food, medicine, etc, but this book convicned me to try it. I am already using coconut oil, dried flaked coconut and today, purchased some coconut milk. I am also trying the oil on some places on my body--the jury is still out. The idea of using coconut oil/coconut in our diets originates with the study of natives of tro ...more
Kari
Bruce Fife does a good job of explaining the science behind coconut oil and the effects it has on the human body. He provides many helpful and convincing case studies to make the science more approachable and to cement his findings in health outcomes. Our family will be making these changes to our diet.
Cherie Jensen
After finishing this book I did a Google search: facts and fallacies about coconut oil. This link: "http://coconutoil.com/health_benefits..." was extremely informative and as complete as the book but written without as much political posturing. There's nothing wrong with Mr. Fife's information; he just writes from a defensive position which I find detracts from the facts.

Didn't mean to rhyme.
  • The Body Ecology Diet: Recovering Your Health and Rebuilding Your Immunity
  • Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition
  • Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats
  • Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects
  • Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food
  • The Untold Story of Milk: Green Pastures, Contented Cows and Raw Dairy Products
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats
  • The Fourfold Path to Healing: Working with the Laws of Nutrition, Therapeutics, Movement and Meditation in the Art of Medicine
  • The Magnesium Miracle (Revised and Updated)
  • Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Depression, Schizophrenia
  • Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future
  • Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To: Free Yourself from Food Cravings: Achieve Your Ideal Weight; Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health; Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet
  • The Fluoride Deception
  • Clean Gut: The Breakthrough Plan for Eliminating the Root Cause of Disease and Revolutionizing Your Health
  • Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills
  • The Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food
Oil Pulling Therapy: Detoxifying and Healing the Body Through Oral Cleansing Coconut Cures: Preventing and Treating Common Health Problems with Coconut Cooking with Coconut Flour: A Delicious Low-Carb, Gluten-Free Alternative to Wheat The Detox Book: How to Detoxify Your Body to Improve Your Health, Stop Disease, and Reverse Aging Eat Fat, Look Thin: A Safe and Natural Way to Lose Weight Permanently