Start by marking “"Hell, I was there!"” as Want to Read:
"Hell, I was there!"

"Hell, I was there!"

Adventures of a Montana cowboy who gained world fame as a big game hunter. The dean of American gun writers, Elmer Keth tells his own story, cowboy, broncbuster, hunting guide and rancher, Keith maintained an abiding and active interest in firearms, here he takes you from Alaska to Africa on his big game hunts.
Published October 1st 1979 by Petersen Pub Co (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about "Hell, I was there!", please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about "Hell, I was there!"

Holly Lindquist
Feb 29, 2012 Holly Lindquist rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, out-of-print
Now why would an 11 year old girl read the memoirs of a hardbitten, gun-totin', bronco bustin', big game huntin' Montana cowboy?

Well, my dad had received the book as a gift from an authentic local California cowboy and the catchy title made me want to give it a try. I was immediately hooked. It's not even close to being politically correct. This guy shot just about everything at one point or another, and the book is liberally sprinkled with photos of carcasses, some of which fall easily into En
CD
There were some earlier versions of this work including a couple from the 1960's that I first read.

Keith was a rather colorful character who saw the last of the 'Old West' up close and personal as a boy on the western frontier. He learned to shoot, ride, and raise hell as a part of his survival. This legendary gunmen weaves a fascinating tale/memoir of a bygone era that was vanishing before his eyes.

Not in anyway a politically correct work. If you are interested in some real history of the Amer
Greg
Jun 21, 2008 Greg rated it it was amazing
Picked this up for $2.00 at a church garage sale while on vacation, and it kept my attention for until I finished it. Autobiographical account of the life of Elmer Keith, noted (and expert) firearms enthusiast, hunting guide, and writer. It is also a glimpse into the lifestyle and activities of a Western boy and man throughout the 20th century. Cowboy, adventurer, hunter, soldier, rancher, guide, author, family man, Keith was a unique and colorful individual.
Max R.
Sep 18, 2014 Max R. rated it it was amazing
If I could have only five books to read over and over for the rest of my life, this book by the late Elmer Keith would be one of them.

It's conversational, being a transcript of hours and hours of this great storyteller talking about his life's experiences -- people he's known, places he's been, adventures he's enjoyed. Some of the material about firearms and ballistics may be a bit much for the uninitiated to grasp, but I loved it.

Some of the stories are hilarious, including one about a knife f
Jeff Hoiland
Oct 05, 2014 Jeff Hoiland rated it it was amazing
this book used to be in my room/around the house growing up. it was big and hardcover. I remember looking at the picture and the words. i would think about it a lot, random snippets of this. seems i never read it all the way through. Think i made up my own story of what happened
Jeremiah
Nov 29, 2011 Jeremiah rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books, this was the second time reading it. I liked reading about life in the early 1900's in the West. I bought my last gun because it was similar to one of Elmer Keith's favorites. I enjoyed all the hunting stories. Now off to Little Dorritt.
John Robinson
John Robinson rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Richard Schroeder
Richard Schroeder rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2015
Ben S
Ben S rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2013
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2016
Mccoy Cox
Mccoy Cox rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Tc
Tc rated it liked it
May 11, 2016
Richard Bury
Richard Bury rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Jeremy Pallant
Jeremy Pallant rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2013
Ladd
Ladd rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Eric Pomber
Eric Pomber rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2016
John
John rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2014
Charlie Weakland
Charlie Weakland rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2012
James
James rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2012
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2015
David Hunt
David Hunt rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
John Pruitt
John Pruitt rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2010
Howard Beal
Howard Beal rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2012
Donald
Donald rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Scotroyal
Scotroyal rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2014
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2014
Bentley Howe
Bentley Howe rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2012
Robert Davidson
Robert Davidson rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2012
Larry Whitfield
Larry Whitfield rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2013
Elmer Keith was an Idaho rancher, firearms enthusiast, big game hunter and firearms writer. Among the many handgun and rifle loads that he helped to develop the two most famous would have to the 44 magnum and 41 magnum. At times Keith was described as cranky, obstinate and eccentic, but also outspoken,brilliant, generous and a good friend. Keith was unique and has earned himself a place in the ...more
More about Elmer Keith...