Margaret Mitchell's "Gone with the Wind" Letters, 1936-1949

Margaret Mitchell's "Gone with the Wind" Letters, 1936-1949

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  658 ratings  ·  41 reviews
This book expand your understanding of Gone with the Wind. Read through letters about the story and people.
Published January 1st 1976 by Macmillan Publishing Company

Be the first to ask a question about Margaret Mitchell's "Gone with the Wind" Letters, 1936-1949

Bea
When I was 22, Gone With The Wind was on my list of pending movies. Never thought about the book...until I saw it on a "garage sale" in Santiago. Long winter, bargain price, hard cover....irresistible.

It was one of the best buys ever. A hidden jewel in some dusty corner. Margaret Mitchell´s description of the tough times surrounding the Civil War, the despair, the hope, the characters... it´s such an awesome survivor tale.

Because of this book, I became a fan of historical fiction. I realized t...more
Poplar
One of my first historical books, this is more than a novel. Margaret Mitchell recreates the time so flawlessly and effortlessly, that I started paying attention even to the descriptions of war from Ashley's POV (I usually just skim over such parts). Scarlett is no doubt a formidable character and she will always be on my "Top Fictional Heriones List", up there with Lizzy Bennet. I loved the movie too. Vivien Leigh was spot on as Scarlett.
Oh, and I do NOT recommend the "sequel", Scarlett by Alex...more
Lara
These letters are fascinating and reveal a humorous, insightful personality of the author of Gone with the Wind. Unfortunately, this edition was published in the 1970s and thus does not include Mitchell's correspondence with Benjamin Mays, nor her correspondence with Hattie McDaniel. Despite this, I loved reading this collection; she writes her letters in the same way she wrote GWTW, creating an invigorating and spirited portrait of Margaret Mitchell that cannot be easily put down. Great read!

Linds
I loved this. It's a collection of letters written by Margaret Mitchell which answer the questions of both the process of both the creation of 'Gone With the Wind' and why it was her only book.

She has the tenacity of Scarlet but her personality seems to be Melanie incarnate, which is a surprise. She was very against sequels and the like with GWTW and judging from 'Scarlet' and 'Rhett Butler's people she was right to do so.

Marcel
A sweeping, complicated historic opera, but worthy of its following! It can be summed up as a Greek-esque tragedy of juxtaposed blind spots that lead to the unwitting successes and failures of its characters. We spend an indulgent amount of time in Scarlett O'Hara's childhood in "the County," just outside of contemporary Atlanta. We enjoy the vivid portrayal of that agricultural life, and witnessing her social maneuvering as -- at first -- a flighty, brash, impulsive, non-chalant, self-centered...more
Elise
Not enough stars on the chart to mark. Eight Stars would do. I love this book. I read it at age 17 and then again at age 45. We both got better with age. Perfect summer read. Don't watch the movie until you've read the book. One of the top entries on my Bucket list is to roam the streets of Savannah, Charleston, Atlanta. I want to find that red dirt. I want to see all the artifacts from the war. I want to hear horses clop along the street. I want to find Rhett!!!!!!
When I was young I thought Sca...more
Melinda Nelsen
Wow! This book is on my top ten. So engrossing from many different angles: the war, southern social life, slavery, the main characters and how they represent the phases the south, particularly Georgia, went through before, during and after the war. Just a delight to read. Now on the to 70th anniversary DVD of the movie...!
Sheila Read
I have read this book but when I was doing reports on it and I had to pass some chapters.

It was a book that you just want to read again because it about people that is looking to the future if I think.
Ron Stempkowski
This book will always have a soft spot in my heart. It's like an old friend I pick up and read every once a while.
Vicky
I have read this book at least 7 times and thoroughly enjoy it each time. There is more to Scarlett than meets the eye.
Christine Allgood
Couldn't put this one down. Definitely a girly read. I really liked the historical fiction aspect.
Dawna
Another awesome read. I cried, I laughed, I could not put it down.
Kate
This is the perfect sort of book to read while sitting in one's favorite cafe-- it's like sharing a delightful, long, free-ranging conversation with a witty, lively, cheerful companion. Margaret Mitchell's letter-writing is utterly engaging, and so is she--

how dear that she wrote detailed thank-you letters whenever she got a good review! And when she encountered complaints about historical details that were "wrong" in "Gone with the Wind," she patiently wrote letters to explain the amount of sch...more
Kerry
Brilliant companion to novel and film. I was excited when I bought it, 75p in a charity shop because it seems a difficult book to obtain nowadays. It was wonderful to have an insight of the writing of the book and observations on the making of the film. I adore this book and is a perfect asset to a GWTW maniac such as myself. I can't believe I considered not buying it. I have no regrets in purchasing such a fine book composed of letters by a woman who has changed my life and written one of my al...more
Karen
Gone With the Wind is a sweeping, romantic story about the American Civil War from the point of view of the Confederacy. In particular it is the story of Scarlett O'Hara, a headstrong Southern belle who survives the hardships of the war and afterwards manages to establish a successful business by capitalizing on the struggle to rebuild the South. Throughout the book she is motivated by her unfulfilled love for Ashley Wilkes, an honorable man who is happily married. After a series of marriages an...more
Kim
I first read GWTW when I was in the eighth grade and became consumed with it. I loved all things GWTW. I had a life-sized poster of Clark Gable as Rhett in my bedroom for years. I re-read the book several years ago and I think I enjoyed it more as an adult. I was still rapidly turning pages waiting to see if Rhett and Scarlett ended up together.
Brianna
I gave this book a two star rating because I didn't really like the book. I'm not into books that talk about slaves because you can't understand them. Also I didn't like the whole theme. It seemed too boring and it didn't have any exciting parts. I mostly like adventurous books or horse books. This book was very boring on how I read it.
Kevin
one of the greatest American novels ever written. its entertainment and history class all wrapped up together in a spicy meatball named scarlet. most of the reviews I've seen were from women, and there are some chick-lit aspects to it, but this is a book for all lovers of good literature bothe male and female.
Gypsy Madre
Mar 28, 2011 Gypsy Madre rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gypsy by: KN
Read it for this reason if for no other - Rhett was NOT the dashing, always cavalier showman that Gable was directed to make him! I actually gained some valuable marital insight watching these two (R & S) pass (and blow!) their years together.
The rest? No need to revisit. It is a classic. Period.
Katherine
I loved this book. I was totally taken by the Scarlett's thoughts and the honesty of who she really is. I love the dip into the history behind Georgia. Would love to read some more about this time in history.
Ellen Brown
Margaret Mitchell never wrote another book after Gone With the Wind but she did write thousands of letters. This book presents a fascinating collection of those relating to the history of her famous novel.
Lydia
My most favorite book ever. I feel in love with the movie as a child then I read the book and was blown away. I love this era and this book just makes it come to life.
ايثار
well it's a good story , maybe it's not great but just the character in it and the relationships it's pretty good
Dana Gray
Two years ago I finally read this entire book. Once I started I found it hard to put down.
Lisa Warner
Has to be one of my all time favorite books!!! This is a spectacular book!
Kacey
Loved it! I can't believe I had never read this book!
Bee
I don't know which is better--the movie or the book.
Kara
This book made me want to give a damn...
Tracy
Didn't live up to my expectations. sorry
Donna Bown
most entertaining american book ever written
  • Gone With the Wind: the definitive illustrated history of the book, the movie, and the legend
  • Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind: A Bestseller's Odyssey from Atlanta to Hollywood
  • Frankly, My Dear: "Gone with the Wind" Revisited
  • Isak Dinesen: The Life of a Storyteller
  • History of the  Donner Party, A Tragedy of the Sierra
  • Memoirs
  • Eva Peron
  • Verbatim: From the bawdy to the sublime, the best writing on language for word lovers, grammar mavens, and armchair linguists
  • Madonna: An Intimate Biography
  • Breakfast at Tiffanys (script)

Margaret Munnerlyn Mitchell, popularly known as Margaret Mitchell, was an American author, who won the Pulitzer Prize in 1937 for her novel, Gone with the Wind, published in 1936. The novel is one of the most popular books of all time, selling more than 28 million copies. A...more
More about Margaret Mitchell...
Gone with the Wind Gone with the Wind, Part 2 of 2 Gone with the Wind, Part 1 of 2 Lost Laysen Autant en emporte le vent, tome 3