Remember Me

Remember Me

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  259 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Winnie would say she's no trouble. She's content to let the days go by, minding her own business, bothering no-one. She'd rather not recall the past and, at 72, doesn't see much point in thinking about the future. But when her closed existence is shattered by a random act of violence, Winnie is catapulted out of her exile. Robbed of everything she owns, she embarks on a jo...more
Published February 18th 2004 by Picador (first published 2003)

Lain
What a strange and beautifully written novel. It's written in reverse timeline, as the protagonist (called at different times, Lillian, Patsy, Beautiful, Princess and Winnie), a more-than-a-little loony bag lady, attempts to recreate her own life while at the same time trying to forget some of the more painful parts.

The reader is left to figure out what is truth, what is a figment of Winnie's imagination, what is a result of her mental illness, and what is just pure creation on her part in orde...more
Jamieson
Homeless and squatting in a house in England, Patricia is shocked when a girl enters her house and takes the only possessions that she has: a suitcase containing a wig and various other bits of nick knacks and mementos that one collects through out life. To Patricia, they are her possessions, her belongings and items with which she has marked her life.

Being forced to get her belongings back also forces Patricia to look back on her life up until her suitcase was stolen. How, for instance, did she...more
Josie
This book is thoroughly depressing, but I kept reading because I hoped there would be a happy ending. Azzopardi creates the believable voice of Winnie, a bag lady squatting in an abandoned shop. The first-person narration is so matter-of-fact that you forget Winnie isn't used to talking to people: there's a part where she says something like, "I think what I was saying came out a bit muddled. I may have started shouting." Those two sentences perfectly sum up how she is seen, and it's thought-pro...more
Josh
I received this book as a gift from a friend and I have to say it isn't something I would have thought to pick up in a store.
This is a story of a woman who has lived a life filled with strife and sadness. It begins with her, old and homeless, thinking she has been robbed of something precious to her. She begins to narrate her life up to that point, starting from a very young age and intertwines it with her current need to find what was stolen.
I really enjoyed this book and finished it off in jus...more
Jessie
This story about a mentally unstable homeless woman is satisfying if unsettling. It retraces the protagonist's life as she struggles along after tragedies, abandonments, and war. It is a little obtuse in places, resulting in a potentially anticlimactic revelation towards the end (before the final twist). One problem it suffers from is employing a somewhat elevated vocabulary and description for someone who is supposed to be so mentally deficient. It makes for a rich read, however, and one well w...more
Kathryn Bashaar
I am drawn to stories about someone whose identity is in question or isn't what they thought it was. No idea why. This one was interesting but ultimately unsatisfying. I always come away unsatisfied from stories in which the main character is a victim, with little or no agency. Also, Hewitt was clearly a villain right from the start, but his villainy somehow lacked drama for me. The bad news about him just kind of dribbles out over the course of the story, so that the really shocking revelation...more
Coleen
5/13/09 - The description of this novel had all the elements I tend to love -- a shift of past & present, gradual revealing of family & life history, a little bit of mystery & some family secrets. And while I enjoyed it, it didn't grip me quite as much as I think it could've. I found myself confused a lot within the story -- & that may have just been me or might possibly have been the fact that I listened to it on audio & had more trouble distinguishing time frames & such...more
Sheryl
Pat Jorgenson Waterchilde
I really don't know if I liked this book or not. It took awhile to get into the rhythm of the author's writing. During the first 100 pages I thought many times of putting it down and moving onto to another book but something keep me going and I am glad that I did. The book is haunting, dealing with the life of a woman, alone, forgotten, troubled, thrown about from one person to another, dealing with the circumstances of life yet not have the skills to do so. The style of writing is different and...more
Caleigh
This is a very powerful and heartbreakingly sad book about an elderly homeless woman and the life that led her to her present circumstances.

It's quite well written, though a bit uneven with a fairly slow middle that redeems itself with a sudden burst of revelation at the end.
I'm not sure if the main character was actually "simple minded" or just seemed that way by virtue of having been simultaneously shielded and neglected for so many years. Regardless it wasn't easy to read about the many peop...more
Dot
I think this is actually a 3 and a half star. The story was inspired by the life of an elderly homeless woman. The main character, Winifred, lives in an abandoned shoe maker's shop where she burns any remaining furniture to keep warm. She has an assortment of friends in the homeless community and asks for their help when she is robbed of her few possessions. While not of monetary value, these items are precious to her for what they represent. As she follows the woman who robbed her, we learn mor...more
Michele
This was not an enjoyable book to read. It was depressing, sad and confusing. It is the story of a homeless woman with obvious mental deficiencies. It starts with the theft of her bag, which contained all her earthly possessions. It then shifts back and forth from her childhood to the present time, trying to show the reader (I think) how events shaped this woman.

Because it was so depressing and confusing, I considered stopping reading it a few times but continued figuring it would all come toge...more
Konsumschnecke
Das Buch fing gut an und hatte echt Potenzial ... aber zum Schluss fehlte die Spannung, die Hauptprotagonistin, die in ihrem Leben soviele Namen (und auch Spitznamen) hatte und richtig viel doofe Sachen erlebt hat und ihre ganze Jugend in einem Koffer voller Erinnerungsstücke hatte, dessen sie als Obdachlose beraubt wurde, beginnt sich zu erinnern und ihr Leben Revue passieren. Verrückt, in einem christl. Heim und naja, anfangs emotional geladen und am Ende nur noch leider eine Aufzählung dessen...more
Ronit
A homeless woman. A past life unfolding. Haunting story, with surprising ending
Ann Marie
I want to say I enjoyed this read...it was at times a bit choppy and I feel the ending was forced...my feel is as if the author ran out of time...perhaps needed to meet a deadline and just thru the ending in quickly...it was a 'sweet' story though and I did enjoy the read up until the last couple chapters...nothing about the read was anything like I thought it would be...so it is not a book you can read ahead in without becoming lost...while I may not go out of my way to recommend this one I wil...more
Lisa Faye
This woman can really write! I love the way she puts a sentence together - absolutely beautiful.

Unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy the book. I get it, the narrator has a mental illness, but still I should be able to follow the plot better than I was able to. I still am not totally sure what happened with the baby theft and such. And for it to be brought in at the very end and left hanging in that weird way? Not a great way to deal with a plot.

I don't know. The Azzopardi is a talented writer,...more
Logophile
An affecting first-person story about a homeless woman. After having all her worldly belongings stolen one night, Patsy/Lillian/Winnie reconstructs her life story, which turns out to have a number of tragic surprises. I found the narration uneven and at times implausibly literate for a woman of Winnie's abilities and background. But despite its flaws, this novel scores points for giving us a perspective we don't often see and for bravely avoiding romanticizing or idealizing its protagonist.
Sam Oliveras
If you are a fan of Azzopardi's first novel _The Hiding Place_ do not go into this book with high hopes. The story of and elderly women who has suffered from a hard life is revisited in a style much like the first novel but just doesn't "own up" to it.
If you can force yourself to continue reading this very dragged out story you find that it just becomes very very unrealistic and you just can't wait to get to the end.
Joanna
This was a very weird but very moving book. It took me quite a while to begin to fit the parts of the story together into a coherent whole, but once I did, I was thoroughly engaged and couldn't wait to read through to the end. The first-person narration beautifully highlights the unreliability of any individual's perception and memories. I'll have to keep an eye out for the author's previous book.
Ashley
Listened to this one in the car. I wasn't terribly impressed. The story follows an old homeless woman in England through the various memories from her life. Parts of it could definitely be called historical fiction, but for the most part it is a drama (a bit too dramatic for my taste)about all the tragic circumstances of the main character's life. She has different names throughout the book.
Ami Ayala
Beautifully written, but very hard to follow. Once finished, I needed to read other reviews to confirm I had the same interpretation of the story.
Pat Gerhard
little red haired girl grows up, abused, mistreated, unloved. Does not understand but she tries to cope. Is tossed like rubbish on a polluted river. unimagineable events happen to her. and she just keeps on. and at the end is a homeless person. no threads of friendships or family to her life. and when i finished, I thought I should just start it over again.
Liz
Nov 05, 2007 Liz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ages 16 and up
Shelves: favorite
This novel blew me away. It's way at the top of my all-time favorite books. A difficult, uneasy story with lots of twists and turns has you pulling for the main character and then BAM! What is the nature of memory? Who are we in this world anyway? How do we define ourselves? What is it that defines us to society?
Betty
I loved the narrative style of this novel, whose character has a fractured memory. The reader shares this sensation as bits and pieces of a homeless woman, Winnie, as she is called. The book had elements of a mystery as one learns her story as well as enjoying the literary prowess of a very fine writer.
Sep 13, 2007 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: antone reading on a rainy day
This book isn't prize winning, or anything (that I know of) but it is entertaining. The main character is hard to feel for, but I think that is intended. The time period can be a little hard to follow with all the jumping the plot does, but all in all, I liked it.
Shonna Froebel
Very good, but sad.
Life of woman who fell through the cracks.
Jess Brandes
I just read the other reviews to try and help me remember if I liked this book or not (and what it was about). Nothing really jogged my memory, so I guess i couldn't have liked it that much.
Therese
Hauntingly beautiful. Wasn't sure about it since I didn't really care for The Hiding Place, but this was a much easier read and a really great story with a surprising twist at the end.
Kiera
Sad story but very well written.
Christine
I listened to the audio book of this title. Perhaps it was just me, but I am a little confused about all of the time periods at the end of the book.
  • The Solitude of Thomas Cave: A Novel
  • Faithful Ruslan
  • The Rapture
  • Archipelago
  • The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank
Trezza Azzopardi is a British writer.

She was born in Cardiff to a Maltese father and a Welsh mother. She studied creative writing at the University of East Anglia, and currently works as a lecturer there. She also has an MA in Film and Television studies from the University of Derby.

Her first novel, The Hiding Place, was shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 2000 (a significant accomplishment, since...more
More about Trezza Azzopardi...
The Hiding Place Winterton Blue The Song House The Tip of My Tongue The Tip of My Tongue: And Some Other Weapons as Well (New Stories from the Mabinogion)