The Successor: A Novel

The Successor: A Novel (Christian Gillette #4)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  301 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Make-or-break decisions involving millions of dollars are all in a day’s work for Christian Gillette, chairman of Everest Capital, New York’s most renowned private equity firm. He’s taken on the toughest, most powerful, and often most dangerous adversaries and prevailed–all the while honing his skill for being cool under fire, literally. But now Gillette will be put to the...more
Published February 26th 2008 by Ballantine Books (first published January 16th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Successor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Successor

Benjamin Thomas
I've completed my latest audio book, The Successor by Stephen Frey. Last year I listened to the first in this series starring Christian Gillette, a business mogul who becomes the leader of Everest Financial Capital, one of the largest private equity firms in existence. That first book was filled with the tension surrounding his rise to power, but also many thriller aspects such as attempts on his life by rival power seekers. It was a true "business thriller".

This book is the fourth book in the...more
Phyllis Sommers
Another fun Stephen Fry novel starring Christian Gillette--the head of private equity firm Everest Capital, and his two closest allies at the firm, Allyson Wallace and Quentin Stiles.

Christian is called upon by U.S. President James Wood to be the U.S. government's contact man for a small group of Cuban rebels who are planning to overturn the Communistic government of Cuba. President Wood is eager to be on the "right side of history" and plans to offer U.S. support for the proposed coup. Ironical...more
Vicki Elia
Audiobook Review
Christian Gillette Series

2 1/2 Stars Series Avg Rating

Narr: Holter Graham

Frey's original idea of Christian Gillette Private Equity CEO/Secret Agent/Almost-Politician was good at the core, but became smarmy. I kept reading thinking perhaps the series would get better. It got worse. Stupid, unlikeable characters, ridiculous situations and poor dialogue dooms this series.

Lee
This book finds Christian Gillette tasked by the President to evaluate a Cuban rebel group trying to take power after Fidel Castro’s death. Hunted by members of the US Government who want to stop Gillette and bring the President down. Okay book but the end came about a little too quick.
Drick
Christian Gillette, Stephen Frey's complicated protagonist, is called on by the President of the United States to help engineer a coup in Cuba. Along the way there is political intrigue, suprise romance, unexpected loss and death that make for a an exciting read.

When I read books like this I try to ignore the biases and political views expressed and just enjoy the action. For that this book satisified.

However, one is left wondering if Gillette will reappear in Frey's books, now that he has left...more
Bernie Charbonneau
Having read the series with Christian Gillette from its inception, I always look forward to the next adventure with the billionaire investor. this tale didn't let me down. A little far=fetched perhaps, but a good story non the less. The only thing that I thought was that perhaps the end was a little quick. It just seemed to me that Mr. Frey all of a sudden got tired of the chase and decided to end it in like 10 pages. Still looking forward to reading Hell's Gate.
Tyson
Most of the book was pretty good (like most Stephen Frey books) but I have real issues with the climax and ending. It seemed like Frey just gave up on the book and wrote an ending in about an hour (and about 10 pages). There wasn't much thought or creativity at the end and that really bothered me. This book was a decent installment in the Christian Gillette series, but I would recommend all the others before I recommended this one.
Florence Primrose
Christian Gilettee, head of an investment firm, is tabbed by the U.S. president, to go to Cuba to assess the situation there and determine whether the U.S. should aide in the revolution. An associate, Allison, has romantic interest in Gillette.

The imtrigue depens as different factions desire different outcomes in Cuba. Gillette faces deceit, threats and violence
Before e situation is dissolved
Emanuele
Bad bad bad!
Frey is great in writing financial thrillers, but definitely fails in political ones. A long, dragged build up, boring to say the least, wrapped up in 30 pages and a flashback.
I felt cheated, the author must have gotten bored or the manuscript been so crap that the flashback was the last resource editors could think of

Sad end for the cool Christian Gillette saga
Kay
This is probably my least favorite of Frey's books. It wasn't bad, but it had too many characters and too many plots, too many people spying on others, etc.. to keep up with. I'm still not positive who was working for who- or maybe by the end I didn't care! This may have been the last Christian Gillette book in the series.
Crablady79
THIS WAS A GREAT STORY WITH LOTS OF CHARACTERS WOVEN TOGETHER LIKE AN EXPERT. ONLY PROBLEM IS THE ENDING WAS BROUGHT TOGETHER AS THOUGH STEPHEN HAD A DEADLINE TO MEET AND EVERYTHING JUST ENDED! IT WAS STILL A GREAT READ, MY FIRST ONE BY THIS AUTHOR BUT I WILL READ MORE.
Geno
A lot of uninteresting characters made the book a little dull. It also seemed a bit choppy going back and forth between the individuals. At times I felt like the author just created characters and made them fit together.
Sue
Chairman - Protege - Power Broker - Successor. In this order, follow the career of Christian Gillette through these four novels. The best is the Chairman and then the rest are a blur, but some were better than others.
Alison
Stacy
I have to admit, Stephen Frey's Christian Gillette books are wearing a bit thin for me. This one just had too many characters to keep track of, and I didn't really care much what happened to any of them.
Susan
Narrated by Holter Graham. The story line seemed a little far-fetched. I don't understand why it took a brilliant business person so long to figure out he was being conned.
Hella Comat
Lame book. Don't read it. Dumb plot. Poor writing:( The only reason I gave it one star was because there was no way to give it negative stars.....
Johnnie Gee
As always I enjoyed this book. It was a little different from the others in the fact that Cuba was a major part of the story.
Donna Bayse
Well done! I like the way it was woven into real potentials.
Rich
Entertaining--not sufficiently believable to engage me
Tom Holt
The Successor: A Novel by Stephen Frey (2007)
Leonard
John
not much to this book.
Soriambi
Soriambi marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Mau
Mau marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
  • Never Send Flowers (John Gardner's Bond, #13)
  • The Bormann Testament (Paul Chavasse #1)
  • Killer Instinct
  • Phoenix Noir
  • The Patriots Club
  • Death on the Cape and Other Stories
  • Never Tell a Lie
  • Goodbye Mickey Mouse
  • The Okinawa Program : How the World's Longest-Lived People Achieve Everlasting Health--And How You Can Too
  • Stirring It Up: How to Make Money and Save the World
  • Ruined City
  • The Case of the Singing Skirt
  • Power Play (FBI Thriller, #18)
For the last 15 years I’ve been lucky enough to be a novelist. Until recently the books were set in the worlds of Wall Street and Washington. In addition to writing, I’ve also had a career in finance with specialties including merger & acquisition advisory and private equity at firms like J.P. Morgan in New York City and Winston Partners just outside D.C. in northern Virginia.

So, it seemed na...more
More about Stephen W. Frey...
The Chairman (Christian Gillette, #1) The Day Trader The Protégé (Christian Gillette, #2) The Vulture Fund The Power Broker (Christian Gillette, #3)