Start by marking “INTERPRETIVE WORK” as Want to Read:
INTERPRETIVE WORK

INTERPRETIVE WORK

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Poems by Elizabeth Bradfield.
Published March 1st 2008 by Red Hen Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about INTERPRETIVE WORK, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about INTERPRETIVE WORK

Patricia
When Eloise Klein Healy announced she would edit an imprint for Red Hen Press, I eagerly awaited the first publication under the Arktoi label. Interpretive Work by Bradfield is that book—a collection that surpasses all of my expectations, but not quickly or without effort for this book is meant to be chewed slowly as the title suggests. At first, I found the title curious and not especially provocative. Then I turned the book over looking for clues about the meaning, and I found a poem, “No More...more
LaDonna
I fear I don't have words big enough to encompass the bright world contained in this book.

I have been drawing out the reading of it, so as to make it last that much longer. That's what you do with a book of poems this amazing. You skip around. You read page 12 and then jump forward to page 88. You hope that you miss a few, so when you flip through it next week you can be surprised by the discovery of a new one, unread.

I discovered Elizabeth Bradfield entirely by accident at a Bernal Heights poe...more
Su
Collections of poetry are a mixed bag for me, and this is no exception. Bradfield is a naturalist, and her poems that arise out of that passion don't much speak to me, although Bradfield is a very good poet. But the collection of poems titled "Butch Poems" that run through the book, in little clusters here and there, contain some real gems. In particular, I like "Butch Poem 3: Considering the Femme as Trojan Horse," and "Butch Poem 4: Recognition and Praise." I have read so very much terrible le...more
Allison
I found myself slightly disappointed with the poems in the first section, which disappointed me in myself, because many of these poems are biology based. I did start off in the biology world when I started school. But the collection picks up in tremendous ways. I love the Butch Poem series and the the moments that seem most personal. This collection is full of love, science, politics, and did I mention love. Great read.
Bobby
A thoughtful collection of poems, connective tissue threading throughout. Elizabeth Bradfield is very good at manipulating perspective. I especially liked the poems, Sweater for a Giant Squid, Concering the Proper Term for a Whale Exhaling, Collecting, and Whalefall.
Kimberly
"Butch Poem 4: Losing a Father"

"Wednesday Night, 9:30 pm at the Convenience Store"

"Splitters & Joiners"

"Notes to Self on Comfot"

"Love Song of the Transgeneticist"

"Cul-de-sac Linguistics"

Jonathan
I'm head over heels crazy about the poems I've already read in this superb poet's first book. Now I'm just looking forward to spring break so I can take it with me and read the rest of 'em...
Aran
Oct 01, 2011 Aran rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
She keeps ruining her own damn poems--backing away from weirdness, tidying them up at the end, making them political. Really damn annoying.
Lee
Jan 26, 2010 Lee added it
Terrific poems.
Kimberly Spivey
Kimberly Spivey marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Sarah Heady
Sarah Heady marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Silverpiper
Silverpiper marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Mohamed Ibrahim
Mohamed Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
Kate
Kate is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2013
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2013
Rand
Rand marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Elizabeth Bradfield is the author of Interpretive Work (Arktoi Books/Red Hen Press, 2008). She grew up in Tacoma, Washington, has made a home on Cape Cod and in Alaska, and is currently perched in California, where she is a Wallace Stegner fellow in poetry at Stanford University.

Liz is editor of Broadsided (http://www.broadsidedpress.org), a modern incarnation of the traditional broadside. Her poe...more
More about Elizabeth Bradfield...
Approaching Ice: Poems Ocho #19