Start by marking “Get a Life That Doesn't Suck: 10 Surefire Ways to Live Life and Love the Ride” as Want to Read:
Get a Life That Doesn't Suck: 10 Surefire Ways to Live Life and Love the Ride

Get a Life That Doesn't Suck: 10 Surefire Ways to Live Life and Love the Ride

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Life can really suck. But it doesn't have to. With the help of esteemed consultant and coach Michelle DeAngelis, life can really rock. DeAngelis serves up a combination of street-smart wisdom and cheerful irreverence as she shows readers how to enjoy the "ride of their lives," regardless of the roadblocks or potholes along the way. By providing the specific mechanics to jo...more
Published September 2nd 2008 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Get a Life That Doesn't Suck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get a Life That Doesn't Suck

Kara Lane
I really liked the humorous writing style of Michelle DeAngelis! In the introduction she relates that when people first asked her what the book she was writing was about, she'd say, "It's about raising the level of joy on the planet by showing people how to create joy in their lives every day, no matter what." And the response she got was polite disinterest. But when she told a guy it was about how to get a life that doesn't suck, he immediately responded that he knew 20 people who needed that b...more
Carrie (envinoveritas)
A refreshing take on a self help book that, while it doesn't necessarily teach anything new and noteworthy, it teaches all the things we should know in a way that's refreshingly digestible and immediately applicable.

The summary from the book cover, which explains it pretty well (although the claims *may* be a little over generous for what it delivers...):
Life can really suck. But it doesn't have to. This book offers a better way to live every day.

Engaging and encouraging, Get a Life That Doesn...more
Amanda Nan Dillon
One of the best books I've ever read in terms of non-fiction. She's a nonsense, cut the bullshit kind of person, which is refreshing. Just the kick in the pants I was looking for. Need some perspective or an action plan? She's your girl.
Lindsay
I bought this book about a year ago when my life really did suck. Unemployed, couldn't find a roommate, broke, chubby, etc. But, I never read the book. Got through chapter one then got distracted by something else. A self help book can't help you if you don't read it.

It was a pretty good book. A little slow at first, but if you keep at it, it's quite helpful. I really liked how the author put in real life situation stories in there so that it was easier to better understand what she was trying...more
Becky
Jun 09, 2010 Becky marked it as to-read
Enjoyed her frank introduction - that this book is really about how to get joy into your life but that people associate joy with pixie dust and unicorns (unbelievable). "And yes, pixies and fairy dust aside, it is about finding and creting joy in your life, every day, using very specific tools and techniques." I don't however, enjoy her taking the Lord's name in vain (and not even capitalizing it, when she does capitalize "Gap" - speaking of the measurable difference between your thoughts and yo...more
Rachel
This is very much just another self-help book, but Michelle DeAngelis's methods clicked with me more than any other "here's how to be happy" book I've read. (Not many, but I've skimmed tons. Keep thinking the answer is somewhere out there..)

I can't say "highly recommended" because what works for one person may not work for others, but I feel happier already. This is not sarcasm. I even have found myself repeating some dorky positive affirmations, out loud, because this book told me to.

Isn't that...more
mindi
Sep 10, 2008 mindi marked it as to-read
the title is funny, but this was another one that i browsed through during a bookstore trip. it really did seem to have some practical advice for dealing with upsets and setbacks.

i don't normally read self-help books like this, but the author's tone was encouraging without being too peppy and ridiculous. (just judging from a quick skim through, it may have gotten worse later in the book.

i'd definitely pick it up again if i saw it in the library.
Violet
A self-help book, ultimately, that didn't make my toes curl with sappy advice, platitudes or goopy bits.

It didn't contain anything startling or new to me, but I appreciated the style and the reminder of a few things I needed to take care of (and how to do that, exactly).

All told, a nice way to get yourself out of a rut.
Laila
This was fun - I liked the author's sassiness. The material isn't earth-shatteringly new, but it's presented in a fun and readable way. A nice pick-me-up for anyone just down-in-the-dumps. I'm one of those people who has to continually work on feeling positive, so I read things like this every now and then to keep me going.
Christopher Farrell
Not bad for a self held book - not terribly cheesy or anything - had some good solid advice - but she should smack whoever told her to break every page with inspirational quotes - it made it hard to get through some passages when they were bisected by these giant quite boxes - good and helpful but not outstanding.
Mary
If you ever need a good swift kick in the you know what to do something about whatever situation you find that your life is in, this is a good & practical read that works.
Damir
Damir marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Mon
Mon added it
Aug 21, 2014
Shannon Rochester
Shannon Rochester marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Jill Lubrano
Jill Lubrano marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Charis
Charis marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Will Vastine
Will Vastine marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Justine B
Justine B marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013