Start by marking “Is Heathcliff a murderer?: Great puzzles in nineteenth-century literature / Can Jane Eyre be happy? : more puzzles in classic fiction” as Want to Read:

Is Heathcliff a Murderer? Puzzles in Nineteenth-Century Fiction / Can Jane Eyre Be Happy? More Puzzles in Classic Fiction
Paperback, Two volumes issued and bound together, 490 pages
Published January 1st 2001 by Quality Paperback Book Club (first published October 31st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Is Heathcliff a murderer?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is Heathcliff a murderer?

matthew
Sep 29, 2007 matthew rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: nit-pickers
Shelves: to-reread
these books made me very happy, though the titles are a bit misleading. truly, they should be called "how authors make continuity errors, it is to laugh (parts the first and second)"... and that's just what i did. as a bonus, they made me want to read books i hadn't read, and reread ones i'd forgotten or disliked, just to make fun of the mistakes. there is some interesting speculation, too, to be fair.
Audrey
Mar 11, 2008 Audrey rated it liked it
Some of the essays in this book are over things I consider trivial, but others are very interesting commentaries. I still haven't read the whole thing. I like to read it one essay at a time as I read the books they're about. Still, I've read enough of them to recommend it to anyone who like 19th century fiction.
Janelle V.
Jan 24, 2009 Janelle V. rated it it was ok
Nothing I hadn't already thought about in the context of my English major.
Mariola Turnbough
May 12, 2008 Mariola Turnbough marked it as to-read
on bookmooch
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Kirsty
Kirsty added it
Aug 15, 2016
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Tegumai Bopsulai
Tegumai Bopsulai rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Richard Thomas
Richard Thomas rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2015
Loreen
Loreen rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Naomi Washburn
Naomi Washburn marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Fran
Fran marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Sonja M.
Sonja M. rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Dylan
Dylan added it
Feb 21, 2014
Yauhen
Yauhen marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Charlie Cochrane
Charlie Cochrane rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Paul Agapow
Paul Agapow rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2013
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Ratonline
Ratonline marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Christiana Markou
Christiana Markou marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2013
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2013
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2013
John Andrew Sutherland is an English lecturer, emeritus professor, newspaper columnist and author.

Now Emeritus Lord Northcliffe Professor of Modern English Literature at University College London, John Sutherland began his academic career after graduating from the University of Leicester as an assistant lecturer in Edinburgh in 1964. He specialises in Victorian fiction, 20th century literature, an
More about John Sutherland...