Start by marking “Game of Hearts (Happily Ever After Company, #1)” as Want to Read:
Game of Hearts  (Happily Ever After Company, #1)

Game of Hearts (The Happily Ever After Company #1)

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Not a hero. Not a villain. Just a man afraid to risk his heart…and hers.

The Happily Ever After Company, Book 1

Aengus Yates broke Suzannah Hennessy’s heart. Twice. As an eight-year-old, she entreated the handsome young rancher to wait. He laughingly rebuffed her and went on to marry his beautiful fiancée. When he abandoned his family years later, Suzannah should have felt j
Published September 1st 2000 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about Game of Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Game of Hearts

Misfit
"Russell Braddock, founder of The Happily Ever After Company, always hopes his matches will result in flying sparks. But in this case they could ignite an inferno he can’t control."

The basic set up: Suzannah (Suzy) Hennessy and her BFF Megan sign on as mail-order brides. At least Megan has a groom waiting for her in California, Suzy's just along for the ride - she's too heartbroken over that dastardly Aengus. How did he break her heart? She proposed when she was eight and he turned her down and
Meg Kinch
For once, I'm at a loss as to how to rate a book, so I believe I will leave off of the star ratings. There were parts that were okay, good parts, really good parts, and then not so good parts. I didn't really care for the heroine at all. She had her moments, but overall she bugged the crap out of me. I did like the hero a great deal of the time and the secondary character Ben Steele was a favorite of mine along with the boys. Overall, it is a lighthearted read and is worth giving it a try, but s ...more
Christy
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
I think I would have enjoyed the story more if the premise had been more honest. The premise implies a turbulent relationship that goes wrong between the hero and heroine. There was no relationship between them. The heroine carries on practically half the book about how the hero did her wrong; yet he didn't do a single thing to her. The imagined wrongs were all a result of her self righteous priggish attitude. She annoyed me and pretty much ruined the book.
Natālija
DNF at 40%

Despite the fact that this book made me laugh on several occasions, I wasn't able to finish it. The biggest problem I had with it was the characters, especially female ones. I was taken aback by the lack of modesty and proper manners customary for young unmarried women in the time period the book is set in.

To summarize, I did not enjoy reading this book, nor would I recommend it to others.
Preeti C.
A rather predictable romance, with humorous moments and irritating ones. The hero was fairly likable, but I liked Megan so much more than Suzannah, though both women were shockingly naive despite their difficult pasts. No real surprises anywhere in the story--the "revelations" were repeated so often as to become redundant.
Hannah
I really enjoyed reading this. It was a nice light read.
I won't make the effort to read the rest of the series, but this is enjoyable as a stand-alone story. I personally loved the ending, it was the best part for me and it made me smile lots :)
Katelyn
Susannah drove me crazy and there really wasn't much of a love story. There were just too many little stories trying to be shoved in to a book that should have been longer so it could be fleshed out more.
Teresa
It was a nice read. Not an OMG you have to read this book! Some times a little hokey. But it was well edited. That helps a lot in the long run.
Victoria Lovell
I enjoyed the book. Wish it would have been a little longer with more gradual build in the relationships.
Yuki Ramble
liked it though the ending seemed to sudden.
Danielle Christon
A little slow in the beginning but picks up.
Measie Elizabeth
Nov 26, 2012 Kimberly marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, romance
11/26/12 - free on Kindle
Lindsay
Nov 15, 2012 Lindsay marked it as kindle-i-own-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Amazon Freebie 11/15/2012
Rhonda
Rhonda is currently reading it
Jan 25, 2015
Leanne Jamonts
Leanne Jamonts marked it as to-read
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Lory Riddlemoser
Lory Riddlemoser marked it as to-read
Linda Schlichter
Linda Schlichter marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Donna Natoli
Donna Natoli marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Sue
Sue added it
Jan 09, 2015
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
The Free Book Cha...: Game Of Hearts, by Kate Donovan 2 22 Dec 02, 2012 08:04PM
  • California Caress
  • Hannah's Vow
  • Lakota Surrender
  • Chasing Rainbows
  • Dance With A Gunfighter
  • Untamed Journey
  • The Bounty (Malloy Family, #1)
  • Wild Wild Widow
  • Midnight Lover
  • The Rancher (Redbourne, #1)
  • The Last Honest Seamstress
  • The Bride Wore Feathers
  • Sea Scoundrel (Knave of Hearts #1)
  • The Devil's Daughter (Devil to Pay, #1)
  • The Lawman (Willow Creek #1)
  • Abby: Mail Order Bride (Unconventional, #1)
  • The Outlaw Takes a Wife (The Burnett Brides, #2)
  • Under the Desert Moon

The Happily Ever After Company (5 books)
  • Carried Away  (Happily Ever After Company, #2)
  • Meant To Be (Happily Ever After Company #3)
  • Night After Night (Happily Ever After Company, #4)
  • Fool Me Twice  (Happily Ever After Company, #5)
Play by Play (Play Makers #1) Playing for Keeps (Play Makers #2) Play Date Trace Elements (A Gower and Saxon Book) The Lost Art of Falling in Love