Start by marking “Keep Watching the Skies! American Science Fiction Movies of the Fifties: Volume I, 1950-1957” as Want to Read:
Keep Watching the Skies!  American Science Fiction Movies of the Fifties: Volume I, 1950-1957

4.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  53 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Relive and thrill to the science fiction movies of the '50s (through 1962), when jujubes and popcorn with extra butter went arm and arm with mad women (Attack of the 50 Foot Woman), weird teenagers (I Was a Teenage Frankenstein, Teenage Zombies), ill-fated matches (I Married a Monster from Outer Space), victims of scientific experiments (The Fly), and all those things that ...more
Published May 1st 1982 by McFarland & Company

Be the first to ask a question about Keep Watching the Skies! American Science Fiction Movies of the Fifties

Jeff
Oct 02, 2007 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science fiction films
Although I have this on my 'read' shelf, that is not completely accurate. This book, which reviews most US science fiction films from 1950 - 1962 (as well as some non-US movies and some films in other genres with sciecne fiction elements), really is not something to sit and read straight through. I can see going back to it every so often and reading a review and background story on a film or two.

And, it is the background that sets this book abpart from so many other movie review collections. Th
Jim Dooley
Jul 09, 2013 Jim Dooley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book provides the best overview I've seen of those wonderful science fiction movies of the 50's and into the early 60's. if you're not quite sure what films qualify, these are the ones that used to air as Saturday afternoon matinees on your local television stations before cable television took over.

To call this comprehensive is a tremendous understatement. Here you will find plot synopses, reviews, critiques, background stories, production tidbits and pictures. You may disagree with the wr
Mark
Aug 23, 2015 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-resource
I'm a huge movie nut. And a special part of my life comes from staying up late on Friday nights with my dad and watching horror and science fiction movies double features on the local version of Fright Night Theater. Both the good and the bad. So many treasures are to be found in this book. And a lot of special memories for me.
Michael Ritchie
Jun 12, 2014 Michael Ritchie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, it's a reference book, and it was written before IMDb (or even the Internet) and DVD (and only as the very dawn of home video), so the amount of research work that went into this is amazing. It's a survey of every American SF movie from 1950 to 1962, listed alphabetically by year. Entries average 2-3 pages, with some in the latter half of the book (originally published separately) going to 7 or 8 pages. I didn't read very word in the book, as his plot summaries tend to be exhaustive, unless ...more
Neil
Jan 03, 2010 Neil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, I'm not sure how much of an audience there is for the science fiction movies of the 1950s anymore, but this is how reference books should be done. It's informative, but it's also written with a personal touch that makes the essays about each of these films very readable. The illustrations and graphics are well done, worthy of a specialist's interest.
Tony
As a fan of SF films, and golden age films in particular, I found this a great read. This is not film catalog, but more of history of the Golden age of SF films, from the 50's through the early 60's. It covers not only individual productions, but also provides an overview of the industry as a whole over the time frame.
Carl I.
May 26, 2013 Carl I. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
So far this book is astounding!
Tali
Tali marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Håkan Eriksson
Håkan Eriksson marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
J. Bryce
J. Bryce marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Seb
Seb marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Seb
Seb marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Mark Monastyrski
Mark Monastyrski marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Jv
Jv added it
Jan 09, 2016
Chris Condon
Chris Condon is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2015
Ken
Ken rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2015
Rebecca Davila
Rebecca Davila marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Dejo
Dejo rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2015
Robert Spore
Robert Spore rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015
Mauro Cosentino
Mauro Cosentino marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Pepua
Pepua rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
Michael Faun
Michael Faun marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Jason Hodge
Jason Hodge marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Richard Downey
Richard Downey is currently reading it
Jun 12, 2015
Miguel
Miguel marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Briana
Briana added it
May 01, 2015
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015