Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 2: Return to Weapon X

Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 2: Return to Weapon X (Ultimate X-Men trade paperbacks #2)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  1,236 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Now pawn of the mysterious weapon X program, the mutant heros' only hope lies with the one team member to evade capture: the enigmatic, unproven Wolverine! Can Logan go it alone against the shadow-ops organisation that transformed him into one of the worlds most lethal killing machines.
Published November 22nd 2006 by Marvel (first published April 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 2

Dirk Grobbelaar
Well, I was really looking forward to this. But...

I've been on a graphic novel reading spree but most of the Marvel stuff I've been reading has left me somewhat cold. The problem with this specific outing is that it has "trying too hard" written all over it. Trying too hard to be edgy. Trying too hard to be contemporary. Trying too hard to be relevant.

Oh, and then there's Sabretooth... who now has retractable claws like Wolverine. Why? Why? Why?

All told, though, the second half was much better...more
Nicolo Yu
I’ve written how Mark Millar’s Ultimate X-Men read like a movie. Then the second story arc from Millar’s acclaimed run must be the spy thriller. That was evident in the first pages as it started with a snowmobile chase scene that was straight out of a James Bond movie.

Adam Kubert started strong with the art but apparently there were some issues with delay as Tom Raney and Tom Derenick contributed to art in this arc. The art change was jarring. It is too bad editorial was not able to utilize Andy...more
Federiken Masters
Jul 10, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Seguidores del autor o los personajes
Recommended to Federiken by: Autor y bajo precio. Con la horrible edición, si era por un peso más ni lo compraba.
"Si bien la edición de Conosur apestaba de pies a cabeza, no pude resistirme a adquirirlo por sólo 10$. Eso sí, ya preparé la lapicera porque, conociendo cómo trabajaban en esta editorial, ya sé que voy a tener que agregar muchos acentos, signos de apertura y emprolijar varios descuidos del letreado."
Dije en su momento. Y la lapicera sigue esperando, porque cuando tuve a mano la edición española, preferí leérmela para ahorrarme disgustos.
Yendo al comic en sí, básicamente tiene las mismas virtude...more
Nathan
This is a book where the art really let's down the story and that's not to say the story has its weak points but the problems with the art overshadow it. So it was about time that Wolverine et al return to Weapon X to deal with his past in this new comic universe and the return is extremely underwhelming. I remember reading the first issue prior to picking up the trade paperback and thinking man this looks good, I can't wait for the next issues.

Sadly when I picked up the paperback I didn't flip...more
Jani
Little bit background first. I live in Finland. We've had on and off X-men comicbookmagazine since 1984. Magazine size have varied through years but it's monthly magazine that usually collects 4-5 original issues. So practically we have bits of stories from here and there all over all mutant related comicbooks. Sales have been real rollercoaster ride and magazine has been cancelled twice now (first in mid 1990s for few years and now 2014). So here I am ... with huge blank spots on storylines and...more
Todd
Much better than the first volume.

I actually remember some of this as being in the main Marvel Universe and not in Ultimate. It's strange how that works.

I think that the introduction of characters like Rogue, Juggernaut and Nightcrawler are what really help this volume click. They don't need much screen time to make the story more fun. It's nice that Juggernaut isn't Charles' brother and not a mutant. It's nice that Sabretooth is immediately called less-cool Wolverine.

Nick Fury isn't really Ulti...more
Charles
Elizabeth
Brutally violent to the point of pointlessness, this guy doesn't seem to realise that 'dark' is about moral ambiguity, not simply everyone being an asshole. When everyone's cunt, there is no ambiguity and it becomes just as boring to read as when everyone's a twee Golden Age goody-two-shoes. And it's about as subtle as Charlie Sheen in contract negotiations. I forgave the Dubya car in book 1 and the laying it on with a trowel 'Man is destroying the Earth' clawing environmental message, which ska...more
Chris
I think the worst idea that ever occurred in literature/media is the whole, "if you kill them you're no better than them," thing. It's bullshit, some people need to die (especially in a fictional setting where evil can be a lot more cut and dry). The X-men need to stop with it, especially in this book, other than that one qualm it's a very good graphic novel.
Talyseon Talyseon
The Ultimate X-Men has to be one of my favorite takes on the X-Men, just because it goes through and cleans up all the messy plot points...and makes them a lot darker and grittier. Ultimate X-Men: Return to Weapon X
Ben Lane
I found that this continuation of Ultimate X-Men, from the nearly great Tomorrow People arc, lost itself along the way. It became a bit too jumbled, although certainly not a worthless read for any X-Men fan.
Zach Danielson
Continues the series started in Ultimate X-Men Vol. 1: The Tomorrow People.

There were parts of this second volume that felt like a commercial for the rest of the Ultimate universe, but I still enjoyed it. The X-Men stories are pretty dark compared to Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility--the good guys aren't always so good, and the bad guys are pretty bad.
Andrew Christman
My major gripe with the first arc was an emphasis on action over character development. Well Millar definitely takes a step back in these six comics and really begins showing us who these mutants are. I also really enjoy how he introduces the next wave of X-Men. They don't just hop into a jumpsuit and move to NY, their transition is very patient and realistic.

Ultimate Universe Reading Note: So far the Ultimate X-Men Franchise is living up to the gold standard of Ultimate Spiderman. I'm also look...more
Jenee
Really good just like the first one, instead of fighting the brotherhood, they are fighting against Weapon X this time. And you get a nice tie in with S.H.I.E.L.D. which I deffinitly didn't see coming. You find out more about Wolverines history with Weapon X and the history of Weapon X itself.

I really like how the artist and the author portraied Beast. But this is the story inwhich you find out how he turned blue.

A really easy read and a really good story.
Krystl Louwagie
The second volume for Ultimate X-men graphic novels wasn't quite as shining as the first (though still written by the wonderful Mark Millar). There was too much tech talk and military involvement/scenes/focus, which bored me and I skimmed over without a lot of investment. Still, all the conversations and advancements in plot for the X-Men were spot on, especially the focus on Wolverine.
Travis
a good story but not a great story. art work is passable but barely.
Jordan Taronji
Nov 01, 2007 Jordan Taronji rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: x-fans
Shelves: jtt-s-book-shelf
The x-men... kidnapped!!? In this story wolverine is searching for his past. While that happened a team of evil mutants who belong to weapon X have kidnapped the x-men. Now they must team up with one of there main enemys, the brotherhood. Who will win in this epic battle for freedom... from weapon X.
Nicolas
Le fils du professeur Xavier, les relations tumultueuses entre Wolverine et Cyclope, une attaque du Phénix, Le Fauve en pleine love-story avec un mauvais mutant, ... et tant d'autres thèmes qui font, avec les dessinateurs variés qui s'en emparent, de ces épais volumes d'assez bons moments.
Mike
Actually, the volume I finished was the second half of Ultimate X-Men: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 1, which is almost exactly "Return to Weapon X" but with Ultimate X-Men 1/2 and a never-ran script by Brian Michael Bendis. Easier to keep the continuity with marking volume 2, etc.
Orrin Grey
See my review of volume one, basically. I enjoyed Nick Fury's budget super powers, and, y'know, Nightcrawler was in this one.
Brandt Fundak
I feel like this collection is rushed and the presence of the Brotherhood seems a bit Deus Ex Machina to me. I will say that I like Scarlet Witch here, since she's a bit more confident and cocky... which she should be given her powers.
Frank Taranto
Wolverine's revenge on Weapon X. These are some pretty dark stories. The people who work for Weapon X are sadists. The
X-Men end up doing the right thing at the end, but I don't think I'd want my preteen to read these books.
Jeff Raymond
I’m enjoying the Ultimate-verse brand of X-Men, but the ages are really skewing me and since I’m actually somewhat familiar with the X-Men (unlike Spidey), a lot of stuff is still throwing me. But yeah, still a good time.
Molly
I love everything Marvel. The storylines are incredible! They have everything you could want: action, adventure, comedy, romance, political intrigue, allegories, metaphors, etc. Some stories drag, some end too soon.
Jostalady
What is going on here? How does Storm dating a flesh toned Beast fit into the storylines? Or this whole Weapon X kidnapping in general fit into the overall lives of the characters?

Lord
The art got considerably better when compared to the first volume and the story is perfect, as expected from Mark Millar. Ultimate X-men are great. I can't wait to read next volumes.
Michael
This is enjoyable, and different from past X-Men narratives, but just doesn't have the oomph of the first volume. Still, this is enjoyable, and I'm going to keep reading.
Nicolas
This was a big improvement on volume 1, but I'm still not a big fan of this series so far.
A definitely dark look at the legendary Weapon X program. Nick Fury was awesome.
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 7: Blockbuster
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 9: The Tempest
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 14: Phoenix?
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 19: Absolute Power
Mark Millar is an award-winning Scottish comic book writer born in Coatbridge. Now a resident of Glasgow, Millar has been the highest selling British comic-book writer working in America this decade. His best known works include: The Authority, Ultimates 1 and 2, adaptations of Jack Kirby's and Stan Lee's Avengers, Wanted, Marvel Knights Spider-Man, Ultimate Fantastic Four, and Civil War. In Augus...more
More about Mark Millar...
Kick-Ass Superman: Red Son Civil War Wanted The Ultimates