Start by marking “Wolverine: Weapon X (Marvel Premiere Classic)” as Want to Read:
Wolverine: Weapon X (Marvel Premiere Classic)

Wolverine: Weapon X (Wolverine Marvel Comics)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  2,680 ratings  ·  94 reviews
Wolverine's a lot of things to a lot of people, but to one infamous enclave he was nothing but a... weapon. And weapons kill people. They found that out well enough. Find out just how much "X" can cover in this prequel to recent revelations of the murderous mysteries that have mesmerized our favorite mutant! Collects Marvel Comics Presents #72-84
Published March 21st 2007 by Marvel (first published 1993)

Watchmen by Alan MooreMaus, I by Art SpiegelmanCalvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonV for Vendetta by Alan MooreMaus, II by Art Spiegelman
Best Graphic Novels and Comic Books
128th out of 413 books — 276 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
301st out of 754 books — 1,200 voters

More lists with this book...

Ronyell
5.5 stars!

Brief history:

Ever since I heard so much about Wolverine’s past in the Weapon X program and how much that played a huge role in the character he has become, I wanted to try and read more on his back story of being apart of Weapon X. To be honest, “Wolverine: Weapon X” was the first story I have read that details the horrors that Wolverine has to go through when he was apart of the Weapon X program and I must say that I really enjoyed this book much more than I expected!

What is the s
Stephen
3.5 stars. This is an excellent Wolverine story that was originally published in Marvel Comics Presents #72 through #84. Introduced Cyber, one of my favorite Wolverine villains.
Lindsay
Nov 28, 2009 Lindsay rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wolverine fans, completists
The original telling of how Wolverine got his adamantium skeleton, first serialized in Marvel Comics Presents #72-84. Very confusing, nonlinear storyline, chaotic art/panel arrangments, dialogue mostly medical technobabble (from the doctors/nurses operating on Wolverine) or inarticulate grunts, yells and roars (from Wolverine). For most of the story, Wolverine is either anesthetized or freaking out and going into berserk rages, so there's not a lot of focus on his character. Instead, the narrati ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Oct 24, 2009 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Wolverine fans from the movie and tv shows
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) by: Mike
My friend is the biggest Wolverine fan in the Milky Way solar system. He loaned me his Weapon X comics to read and to share the 'Wolverine' love. It was very good. I admit that Wolverine isn't my favorite X-Men (that's Gambit), but he's a very intriguing character with a dark side that I find appealing mixed with this desire for justice. What can I say? I love my antiheroes. The man has had his share of tragedy, and seeing how he gained the adamantium helped me to see him in a deeper light.

Thank
Sam Quixote
This book explains how Wolverine came to have adamantium claws/skeleton. That’s it. He’s abducted, taken to a lab (where the entire book takes place), he’s mostly unconscious speaking very little, the adamantium bonds with his bones and his healing factor prevents him from dying, the scientist tries to control him, fails, Wolverine’s memory is wiped in the process, Wolverine kills everyone and escapes into the wilderness.

If you’ve read a load of Wolverine books or even seen the first 2 X-Men mo
Arpad Lep
Mar 03, 2009 Arpad Lep rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pulp fans, pkd fans
Recommended to Arpad by: peter lep
Shelves: comics
they don't write 'em like they used to. bloody dehumanizing horror more fit for a jim thompson cyberpunk novel than the pages of marvel comics presents. a childhood favorite of mine, it stands the test of time. i guess my dad knew BWS from his conan days, which is why he would buy possibly the bloodiest comic i've ever seen (worse than JTHM? possibly!) for his eager grade school-aged son. it's not all exposed ribs and bloody snrkt's, it's got a surreal cronenberg like i said cyberpunkness to it. ...more
Becky
I'm not sure I like the false ending thing. It went along and I thought things were really happening, and then it turned out Logan had been set up or something (I'm still not sure) so then he had to go back and do it for real. I don't really know what it added. I suppose good for Logan for seeing through it?
If it wasn't for that I would have rated it higher. It was gruesome and awful, as it should have been.
JB
What a gruesome story. What terrible things were done to Logan.

My favorite part of the book is when Logan is hanging over the professor and the professor says to Logan: "You are an animal!" to which Logan responds: "I am Logan! Logan! I am a man! And you are the animal!"

That says it al. This story shows who the real animal is. Not Logan, but the people in the Weapon X program.

Wolverine is my favorite Marvel character, always has been. It was heartwrenching how these "people" or should I say a
Paul
1993, that was the time that Wolverine was still an interesting and enigmatic character for me. A time when he still wasn't making guest appearances in every second marvel comic. A time where, sure he was a force to be reckoned with, but still wasn't as indestructible as he'd later be showned to be.
There was still alot of mystery to the character back then. Just how old was he? What exactly was the Weapon X thing? Why would he even want to join a team like the X-Men being such a loner?
Is he rea
Christian
150 pages of blood, computer cables, and bondage.
Timo
The second book Egmont put out because of the Wolverine movie and this is a really quality re-pring of a comic published in Finland in the 90s. Why Egmont bothers to put our reprints of comics that are very easily available in the second hand book shop, but they, so here it is.
At least this reprint has very good paper quality and printing quality.
But the story has too much dream sequenses for my taste.
And the art is truly magnificent as one might expect from Barry Windsor-Smith.

Timo
Renato Thibes
Imagina se o cinemão Marvel tivesse essa coragem, que lindo seria.
Travis
Pretty weak attempt to tell the story of Wolverine being 'created' by the secret government 'Weapon X' project is made interesting by some mind-blowingly impressive Barry Windsor-Smith art.

Lots of good action scenes, but the cast is pretty flat the story tends to wander too much. Can't tell if Smith is trying too hard to be clever or he's just not as good a writer as he is an artist.
Bob
"Note the rhythmic intercutting between disparate images in the thirteen page prologue alone. Note the thematic development, repetition and resolution. The lighting is a good example. Note the acting 'between the panels' -- the broken hotel window panes that I didn't notice until my third reading."
Adnan Mahmutovic
The ultimate Wolverine comic. In the movie they devoted like 2 seconds to the making of weapon x. The comic book shows the extensive process that took days and all the ways the military tempered with his brains.
Jim
Drown Hollum
Weapon X is a fine bit of Marvel history that I'm proud to own. The aesthetic of Windsor-Smith's tale is unique, and integral to Wolverine's mythology. The art work is iconic, and the genesis story is one that is uniquely Logan. Other aspects don't hold up to the test of time though, including confused and jumbled lettering that made the already chaotic plot more difficult to follow. This collection is unfortunately just tough to read, between the scatterbrained lettering patterns and the chosen ...more
Sonja
my other wish is that hollywood would make a movie from this book but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
No Books
I capolavori hanno il fattore rigenerante?

Naturalmente, arrivo a quest'opera fuori tempo massimo, con un ritardo di quasi vent'anni (nemmeno ricordo quale fu la prima edizione italiana). Questo non dovrebbe fare differenza nella fruizione di un presunto capolavoro; ma penso che Arma X risenta degli anni. Non tanto per le sue qualità, quanto piuttosto perché fu probabilmente sopravvalutato a suo tempo. Oggi invece lo leggiamo senza il valore aggiunto della novità, della scoperta. Ecco, forse part
míol mór
Naturalmente, arrivo a quest'opera fuori tempo massimo, con un ritardo di quasi vent'anni (nemmeno ricordo quale fu la prima edizione italiana). Questo non dovrebbe fare differenza nella fruizione di un presunto capolavoro; ma penso che Arma X risenta degli anni. Non tanto per le sue qualit��, quanto piuttosto perch�� fu probabilmente sopravvalutato a suo tempo. Oggi invece lo leggiamo senza il valore aggiunto della novit��, della scoperta. Ecco, forse parte del problema �� che all'epoca la stor ...more
Julian
This was my first Wolverine graphic novel, and it was great. Interestingly the book doesn't have all that much to do with Wolverine himself: the story is told from the vantage point of the people experimenting on him (namely Dr. Cornelius). Despite this the story still felt like it was entirely about Wolverine (or, Weapon X, since he isn't his usual superhero self yet.) This is partially because the story delves into his nature (particularly the duality of beast and man) through the philosophica ...more
Helmut
Brutal und böse

Wer den Wolverine aus den X-Men kennt, weiss, dass er ein dunkles Geheimnis hat. Hier wird eine Alternative gezeigt, was mit ihm passiert ist.

Windsor-Smith, bekannt durch seinen enorm erfolgreichen und künstlerisch durchaus wertvollen Conan-Run mit Roy Thomas, wirkt hier als Author und Zeichner. Und wenn man NUR den Wolverine aus X-Men kennt, wird man hier überrascht sein ob der enormen Brutalität, der Grausamkeiten und des Psychoterrors, der einem hier geboten wird.
Die Zeichnunge
l.
weapon x es de esas lecturas elementales a las que uno tarda en acercarse precisamente por elementales. no obstante, recompensa: su estructura no es tanto la de un cómic de superhéroes como la de un filme de horror slasher --o home invasion, o slasher con home invasion-- en la que wolverine juega el papel del "monstruo" y los científicos responsables de poner el adamantium en su cuerpo son los perseguidos. su dibujo tampoco tiene desperdicio: obra de windsor-smith --conocido por conan--es raspos ...more
Nicolas
Ce tome est sans doute la meilleure vision de ce qui a pu arriver à Wolverine lorsqu'enfin l'adamantium est apparu sur lui. Vous savez, cet épisode mystérieux qui donne tout son corps au second film X-Men. Ou y retrouve donc certains personnages (mais heureusement pas tous). Essentiellement, il s'agit d'un authentique exemple de Frankenscience où les méchants savants fous tentent d'arriver à leurs fins par tous les moyens.
Le scénario ne fait peut être pas dans la dentelle d'un point de vue globa
Kellie
Some of the art work was so emotive and gave such depth to the feelings Logan was going through. When I first read this I had not read anything else about Wolverine's history and had yet to run into all of the inconsistencies that are ever present in Logan's history. That is why I rated it four stars. If I read it after learning more it would have been three stars. Great story and easily re-readable.
Shannon Appelcline
BWS' Weapon X is, somewhat surprisingly, just as brilliant as it was 25 years ago. The artwork and the storytelling are top-rate, especially for how they work hand in hand. The actual writing technique is so tight into the story that you feel you're right there, making it totally enthralling. Finally, we have a brutal and vivid origin for Logan that's still in use so long afterward.
msd
I knew I'd have issues with the artwork because I... twat, because yeah, I'm a twat who just doesn't like the older colouring of comics. I want them to be pretty, in short. However, the artwork was pretty fantastic. It was very dynamic and did well in depicting the ferocity and violence of the story.

The story itself was also brilliant, even if the writing wasn't. So much more violent and gory than I expected. I read this and thought, what the hell happened with that Hugh Jackman movie? They cou
Sorcered
This is considered essential Wolverine material, detailing the way he got his adamantium skeleton & claws. I likw Wolvie, yet I hated this book. Badly written, extremely simple plot, Wolverine is a meat puppet during 80% of it, and leaves way too many unanswered questions. Art: 4 stars out of 5, story: 1 star, average 2 stars. Avoid.
Phillip Berrie
A decent enough story and overall a great piece of work by Windsor-Smith who created the whole thing, artwork and all.

My only criticism is that I found the artwork too busy. I liked this style when he did the Conan stories way back when, but this time I found it just confused the images too much.

A must read for all Wolverine fans.
Johnny Zombie-writer
OK granted I have the paperback and read it numerous times but I just read it again in hardback as it came in the collection and it still one of the great reads from the Marvel Universe and especially the history of Wolverine. Although an old story now, it still packs a punch, and too me the art and colours almost give it a psychedelic trip to the senses in a good way though, it leaves you feeling, possibly how Logan is feeling.

If you haven't read it...well, shame on you.
  • X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills
  • Wolverine: Origin
  • X-Men: Magneto Testament
  • Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 1
  • The Punisher, Vol. 1: Welcome Back, Frank
Barry Windsor-Smith: Opus Adastra in Africa The Freebooters Young Gods & Friends Barry Windsor-Smith: Opus