Start by marking “Abandoned and Forgotten: An Orphan Girl's Tale of Survival During World War II” as Want to Read:
Abandoned and Forgotten: An Orphan Girl's Tale of Survival During World War II

Abandoned and Forgotten: An Orphan Girl's Tale of Survival During World War II

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Much has been written about World War II, but not often do we hear about the immeasurable suffering of the Germans who wanted no part of Hitler's regime."Abandoned and Forgotten" is the memoir of a young girl growing up in the then-German province of East Prussia by the Baltic Sea. Orphaned at the age of nine and left to fend for herself in a hostile world, Evelyne Tannehi ...more
Published January 15th 2007 by Wheatmark

To ask other readers questions about Abandoned and Forgotten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abandoned and Forgotten

Lenita
This is a great story. I had not believed that the children in wartime were treated so terribly. IT is a wonder that any of them survived. I wished all today's children could read it to know how really good they have it! Thank you for this stirring account of your life. It answers alot of questions I had.
Leigh
This is a very good book about Prussia during World War II. I liked the way she wrote and I was glad to learn so much about an area I didn't know about.
Chris
A great view of WWII from the German point of view. Horrifying.
Heather Moss
The book started quite slowly, and I am sure it was so that the author could set up her happy and normal (and boring*) childhood as contrast to the events that happened to her and her family after the Russians invaded East Prussia. By page 100, I couldn't put the book down. This is the second memoir I've read by someone who was a young non-Jewish German girl during the Nazi regime. (The other was On Hitler's Mountain by Irmagard A. Hunt.) It's easy, in the face of the extreme tragedy of the Holo ...more
cindy kreger
Amazing

well written and heartfelt. profound. An entirely different view of how the war affected Germans. I will never forget this story.
George
If you want an eye opening account of what it was like to live in German East Prussia during WW II and the Russian over running of the area and then the Poles moving in, this is the account to read.

This is an autobiography of a girl who is 9 at the end of the war and what she experienced first with her immediate family, then as an orphan moving among Polish families until being reunited with aunts in Germany three years later. It is a very moving account.
Sherry
Harsh and graphic story...that said...I couldn't put it down. Story of a family in Prussia in the early 1940s and all the upheaval and tragedy caused by war and Hitler's influence. it described how most people wanted to idolize and follow him...right up until it got ugly....told from the girl's point of view over many years...very interesting read!
Rita
A fascinating story of a young girl who comes of age during WWII in Prussia. It also tells of how everyone forgot about Prussia. When the Russians invaded Prussia during the end of WWII, they killed almost all of the Prussians and kicked them out of their own county.
Kathyg
Jan 10, 2009 Kathyg rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: book club, hubby, friends
Recommended to Kathyg by: book club
Amazing story beginning with middle class German parents of five children sucked into the horrors of the Hitler war machine, leaving behind (because of their death) a nine year old daughter to face the brutal world alone who survives.
Kathleen
Still another view point of the horrors of Hitler's atrocities. I had no idea of the unique suffering those of eastern Prussia endured. A story of relentless suffering and man's depravity. Not a happy read, but a "good to know" read...
Kate
Such a wonderful story teller, Evelyn tells of her experience during WWII in Germany from a perspective not often heard. Well worth the read if you enjoy history.
Kim
The author tells her story of surviving the atrocities as a german citizen falling to the invasion of the Russians at the end of WWII. Intense suffering.
Jennifer Galbraith
This took me a while to get through but it's an absolutely amazing account that you normally don't get!
Ilene
Riveting. Couldn't put it down. Another tale of horror and woe courtesy of the III Reich!!
Ian
Unputdownable, especially once the invasion began.
Novalis
Novalis marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Maritza Samayoa
Maritza Samayoa marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Sandy Wang
Sandy Wang marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Norbert
Norbert marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Interview with the Evelyne Tannehill Abandoned and Forgotten: An Orphaned Girl's Tale of Survival During