Start by marking “Northhanger Abbey / Persuasion” as Want to Read:
Northhanger Abbey / Persuasion

Northhanger Abbey / Persuasion

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,188 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Many of the earliest books, particularly those dating back to the 1900s and before, are now extremely scarce and increasingly expensive. Pomona Press are republishing these classic works in affordable, high quality, modern editions, using the original text and artwork.
Paperback, Omnibus, 448 pages
Published January 1st 2007 by Pomona Press (first published 1818)

To ask other readers questions about Northhanger Abbey / Persuasion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Northhanger Abbey / Persuasion

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëFrankenstein by Mary Shelley
Great Women Authors
62nd out of 699 books — 154 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë1984 by George OrwellThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasFrankenstein by Mary Shelley
Classics Library
119th out of 353 books — 452 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandra
I love this book of Jane's. Persuasion is my second favorite. On further contemplation, I believe Anne Elliot to be a finer lady and character than Dearest, Loveliest Elizabeth Bennett. Anne was persuaded as a young lady, but she would NOT be persuaded in many ways and many situations in her later years. Her love was constant and strong and enduring. Perhaps I will a full day to contemplate this further...

I included this version as I am taking the reading challenge and didn't find another Persua
Valeri
Persuasion is my second favorite Jane Austen novel (although Sense and Sensibility comes very close, and I mean very, VERY close - it may, in reality, be a toss up). I have always loved the language and eloquence with which Austen wrote, but I was especially struck by these qualities when reading Persuasion this time around. I found myself underlining sentence after sentence, probably in an attempt to preserve the beautiful words. What a tender story. I love the unspoken tension that builds betw ...more
Cristina Pascari
I read the Northanger Abbey novel pretty fast. I wish I had read this book when I was a young girl so that I could understand better that there are fake people all around. The book was very easy and fun to read, typical romantic fiction. There is not too much action but more about the process of taking decisions, analyzing and understanding the world. I enjoyed the book, mainly because of the happy ending and the weeding at the end :)
Nikki
Apr 26, 2007 Nikki rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans Of Jane Austen
so up till now i have not read this book. always read NorthPointe Chalet (which i have already reviewed.) loved that - and what is sad is i like it better than the Jane Austen book. i will say this...if you want to see the movie DON'T SEE the BBC version from 10 years ago. OMG it was terrible. made me hate the story even more. sad but true....
Paul Terry Walhus
This is a fine set of books by Jane Austen, authentic to the original typesetting and illustrations. They are also very small? Wonder if this is the actual size they came when originally issued in Jane's day?
Amanda Skinner
I wasn't expecting to enjoy Northanger Abbey as much as I did. I have heard so many people poo-poo it. I found myself laughing out loud. I can understand the reasons why some might not like it. Catherine seems to jump from fairly level headed (if somewhat naive) to having a wild imagination in less than a chapter.

I did like how Miss Austen poked fun at herself by painting novels in such a bad light! I also loved one of her observations. "It would be mortifying to the feelings of many ladies, co
Bobbie Kolehouse
This story reminds me of Ms. Austen's early work because of the fast paced banter. Lady Susan, The Beautiful Cassandra for instance. You feel you are in the room watching a fencing match. Clippier than Pride and Prejudice.The story is about imagination and how we can misplace it to distort reality. Though the Abbey and General story is center-front, Catherine's imagination creates an unreal character in Isabella. She watches Mrs. Allen imagine and even Henry Tilney imagines he is in love because ...more
Diana
Mi-am dorit sa citesc "Manastirea Northanger" in limba romana, dar acum regret foarte mult ca am cumparat-o. Cel putin editia digitala are o traducere sub orice critica, nerevizuita, cu greseli de gramatica si stil care abunda inca de pe prima pagina.

Nota proasta am acordat-o traducerii, care stalceste teribil una din cele mai cunoscute carti ale acestei minunate scriitoare in ochii cititorului de limba romana.

Un exemplu edificator, de pe prima pagina a cartii publicate de editura Aldo Press:

„N
Nathan Alderman
I utterly admire Jane Austen's ability to have her characters say one thing, yet with crystal clarity allow you to understand that they mean something else entirely. Even in Northhanger, one of her earliest books, her razor-keen eye for social foibles is very much present, and there's a lot of droll mockery of Gothic novels and their flighty heroines that remains very funny today. (Also, if Miss Austen writes truly, it seems that fatuous dorks are the same in any age, whether they happen to be b ...more
Deborah
I read "Persuasion"...I LOVE the STORY...but, the "writing" or "narrative" of this book...was not to my liking...It is one of the FEW times...that I "LOVE" the MOVIE over the book...
Lisa
Persuasion was not my favorite Austen. It's so very different from the others, but has its own merits in that fact. You can almost tell she wrote this later in life. The heroine and hero are considerably older than her normal characters, which gives them a different perspective on life and love. The fact that these two people have loved each other and lost each other is also quite special.
Vikki Kestell
Not the best of Jane Austin but still a great classic.
annemm
Of Austen's six novels, these two and Mansfield Park and not as celebrated as Pride&Prejudice, Sense&Sensibility, and Emma, but they are still gems. NA was the first written, though last published, and is the roughest.

Persuasion is a favorite for me, particularly because the heroine's name is Anne! And because she is serious and quiet, and has suffered in silence for many years. I love her integrity. She faces desolation but does not turn to bitterness. In the end, she is rewarded for h
amina
I love this book
This story was a quick peek into the social life of Bath in the late 1700s. While I knew before reading it the novel was a satire of Gothic literature, it seemed forever to reach that stage. The book drags tediously before the character even gets to Northanger Abbey. I did not find it to be a compelling or suspenseful book. While I acknowledge Jane Austen is a superb writer, especially in character and dialogue, for some reason I am unable to connect with her work.
Kerri
These two books were ok. They were really exciting at first and I liked the stories, but they were more drawn out than my favorite Pride and Prejudice. I didn't really like the ending of Northhanger Abbey because there wasn't enough dialog. It just tells you that he confesses his love and she was anxious to hear it... then they got engaged, but they had some problems, then they got married. It didn't really take you through it with dialog!
Charity (CJ)
I picked this up for Persuasion, but I like Northanger Abbey better. I like the self-conscious poking fun of novels, their readers, and those critical of them. I found Catherine Morland to be a very appealing heroine. Henry Tilney was kind of annoying at first, but became endearing fairly quickly. It lacked the tension (and the Mr Darcy) of Pride and Prejudice, but I enjoyed it. I would like to see a movie of this one.
Yvonne Lawrence
I liked the book. Parts were hard to follow. I think because of some of the ways people behave we don't act the same way now. Also some of the places people went to for enterttainment don't exist any more like the pump room. But I was able to figure out what the pump room was. It is hard to believe that this book and Pride and Prejustice are written by the same author.
Blake
I thought this a good introduction to Jane Austen. One can easily note from here what potential she has for further works. There were some delightful scenes worthy of her later novels as wit goes, but the ending left me somewhat less enthusiastic to read them than perhaps they deserved. It has not some of the most charming features of her others.
Rmims
You have to wrap your head around the period speak but if you can it is a very interesting. You look at the world in a whole new way. It is from the turn of the century and translated from russian. Told from the story tellers point of view.
Lynne Fort
This book is so funny if you have a grip on the tropes of Gothic literature! I recommend reading typical Gothic novels (like the Castle of Otranto or The Old English Baron) to get context before you read this. I enjoyed it much more as a result.
CC
I'm finding Austen's endings a bit too predictable (I know, how else could they end). But Austen has a tendency to write a great story and then precipitously wrap everything up in one chapter. Still, I had a good time reading these books.
Jacqui
I think Northhanger Abbey is my favourite Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice is great but this one has laugh out loud moments and I loved Henry, he was classic! I also enjoy persuasion but I'd put it third on my Jane Austen top 5
Melissa
I don't know how this little book escaped my 2006 Austen fettish, but it did and I am glad for it. I needed a good but quick Austen read and though this one wasn't my favorite of hers, I still loved reading it.
Sara
This was one of her first novels but it wasn't published until after her death - and I loved it! Fun and interesting and feels like a whole different writer than her later and better known works.
Kim
May 14, 2009 Kim rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kim by: Marianne
Both Northhanger Abbey and Persuasion were a bit disappointing to me. Austen didn't seem as invested in these characters. I know that I am probably outnumbered on this opinion though...
Elizabeth
Again, I read a hardback edition, rather than the paperback. I enjoyed both of these. I particularly liked Austin's gentle satire of romantic novels in Northanger Abbey.
Laurel
The book I read was just called Persuasion. Since there are 83 books to choose from having to do with Persuasion which are not actually Persuasion I guessed with this one.
Nancy
Persausion is my second favorite Jane Austen. I love the book as well as the A & E movie. It was worth a second and probably a third or fourth read.
Latifaalkaabi
i only read north anger Abby and i didn't like it much because as i said before i am bend to fictions more but in some parts i became interested... that's it
  • The Classic Fairy Tales
  • Lucy's Child: The Discovery of a Human Ancestor
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • God Is a Verb
  • Places Left Unfinished at the Time of Creation
  • To Charles Fort, With Love
  • On the Kabbalah and Its Symbolism
  • The Betsy-Tacy Treasury (Betsy-Tacy, #1–4)
  • Ranting Again
  • Choosing a Jewish Life: A Handbook for People Converting to Judaism and for Their Family and Friends
  • One Good Turn: A Natural History of the Screwdriver and the Screw
  • The Russian Girl
  • The Last Supper (Paul Christopher #5)
  • Gosford Park: The Shooting Script
  • Mrs Lirriper
  • Monster, 1959
  • The Return Of The Prodigal (Romney Marsh #6)
  • Novels and Stories
Jane Austen (16 December 1775 – 18 July 1817) was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fr
More about Jane Austen...
Pride and Prejudice Sense and Sensibility Emma Persuasion Northanger Abbey