Start by marking “Corpsing” as Want to Read:
Corpsing

Corpsing

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  286 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Toby Litt is the foremost young lion of British hip-lit. Corpsing is sexy, full of twists and wickedly funny. Litt will have you racing through the book to discover who murdered Lily, and why. Along the way, you will learn everything you didn't want to know about the .40 European self loading Pistol, and how the human body is made of fifty-five jellyfish, all piled on top ...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Marion Boyars Publishers Ltd (first published September 28th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Corpsing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Corpsing

MJ Nicholls
Jul 10, 2011 MJ Nicholls rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, how I missed reading these very London sorts of novels: scheming, intrigue and shagging among loony eccentrics in the media! I confess to reading two Tony Parsons novels when I was sixteen and being entertained by the cosy bubble of London infidelities (before realising my error and picking up Camus the next month). I also read a few books by Sean Thomas and Sean Hughes which pounded that middle-aged middle-class media self-disgust thing to death.

Toby Litt can be excused because Corpsing st
Louise West
Clever, in a Clever kind of way. I was hooked from the start, lost my way for a while (Josephine... yuk, yuk and triple yuk) and ended a bit confused. The neat ending didn't work for me and left more questions than it answered. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed the pace and intrigue as Conrad tried to figure out who was behind the murder of his girlfriend and the attempted murder of himself. This might appeal more to fans of noir (or graphic descriptions of the effect of a bullet ripping through fle ...more
Orlok
Mar 01, 2011 Orlok rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is very enjoyable read - contemporary Britain, stylish people whose lives burst with erotic potential, and a glimpse into the hidden underbelly of life. Litt has a thriller that soon turns from a 'whodunnit' to a 'whydunnit'. And we DO want to know why.

As the story unfolds, what keeps us guessing to the end is who was really the victim in this crime. The target appears to be obvious, but all is not as it seems.
Characterisation is strong, and the plot well structured, with convincing narra
Adam
Aug 01, 2007 Adam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A girl from London gave me this book to read. She gave it to me for two reasons, she said. One, to show me how much better cover designs are in the UK than they are in the United States, and two, to show me the kind of high-quality prose being churned out by young British writers, and how it's generally higher in quality than young American writers' prose.

Number one is debatable, but ultimately I didn't really care. One shouldn't judge a book by its cover and all that. (Besides, everyone knows t
Rosa Branca
Aug 04, 2014 Rosa Branca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Após ter recebido um convite para jantar da sua ex-namorada Lily, modelo e celebridade no mundo da televisão, Conrad Redman, ainda apaixonado, perde-se em pensamentos. Só no restaurante ela lhe irá revelar o motivo daquele encontro. Finalmente juntos, a conversa é interrompida no momento em que Lily é subitamente atingida no peito por uma bala. Mal a segunda bala a atinge na cabeça, Conrad descontrola-se. Seguem-se mais seis tiros atingindo mortalmente a mulher da sua vida. Segundos depois a arm ...more
Derek Baldwin
Not bad: well paced, good plot, but a lack of characters one can empathise with is the fatal flaw, pretty much everybody is a typical Londoner git, out for what they can get and sod everyone else. This may be the point of the book, perhaps, but there's no moral centre to it. The cover image, Lily - geddit? - is horrible.
Marie Jermy
I don't usually like 1st person POV but from the blurb I'd thought I'd give it a go. The Daily Mail says that I will laugh more than once from reading the first 12 pages. I didn't. In fact, I don't think I laughed once. Through the book is fairly long at over 350 pages, I read it quite quickly, probably because the chapters were really short. One chapter right at the end was only three lines long!!! It was an enjoyable read although I did lose a bit of interest when Conrad went to bed with Josep ...more
Ben
Sep 30, 2007 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I almost didn't read this book. After the first few pages, I thought, "Ugh. It's so Clever." But I kept at it, and I'm glad I did. This is clever, no doubt; it's hip, and modern, and flippant, and breezy... but it's also real, and serious, and intense, and moving, and funny. This is the kind of book that Jonathan Safran Foer wishes he could write, stuck there in his hipster Manhattan. It's the kind of book that Dave Eggers would turn out if he could stop taking himself so damn seriously. I enjoy ...more
Vanessab
Life is too short to read this book.
Hobo
Nov 25, 2014 Hobo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started off really liking the style of book , I found Toby Litt writing engaging enough to keep me interested. I found the chapters describing the effects of bullets hitting Lilly and Conrad fantastic.
However in end I felt little disappointed with story. But if you are fan of noir or thrillers. I do believe you find the story of corpsing a good read.
Donald
Aug 18, 2008 Donald rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008
I have read 'Corpsing' in a single day. Well, I finished the last dozen pages upon waking. For me to be so engrossed in a novel is something of a marvel.

The first five chapters happen in the first nine pages. He does this to give the sense of hitting the ground running. The pacing is perfect and his writing is fluid.

I will not go into the story because anything I say will only taint your own chance at experiencing this excellent thriller for yourself. Drop what you are doing and get this book...
Godzilla
Apr 14, 2008 Godzilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2008
This gripped me from the first few pages, and the plot unfolds neatly.

I empathised with the main character in quite a few places, and it certainly made me think about past relationships and how things twisted and turned during them.

Some elements seem a little "pat", but this is only fiction after all....
Deborah
This was actually quite good, I started reading it last night and finished this morning - loved the whole plot and the length of the book was just right. I kind of worked out whodunnit half way through but it was still worth reading.
David Bell
Oct 27, 2014 David Bell rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
What a terrible book. A long drawn out story that hold no excitement or interest. The characters are all one dimensional and you have no sympathy for anyone. Boring from start to finish.
Bridget
Aug 12, 2009 Bridget rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Toby Litt- his Deadkidsongs is on of the creepiest bestest books ever. I love him enough that even though I don't love noirs or murder mysteries, I really enjoyed this book.
Lea Manning
Sep 20, 2012 Lea Manning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Toby Litt novel I read. I found it refreshing, intriguing and compelling. Nice to read something a bit different form the norm.
Julie
May 10, 2012 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, it was a different kind of writing which made a refreshing change.
Sue Corbett
Dark humour but not much humour at all really.
Kristel
M
M rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2016
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Zoe
Zoe rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Sophia
Sophia rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Andrei Catalin
Andrei Catalin rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2016
David Eusebiu
David Eusebiu marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Suzan
Suzan marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Leoniek
Leoniek marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Christi Andrzejewski
Christi Andrzejewski marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Andrea Colleen
Andrea Colleen rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
  • Billie Morgan
  • Darcy's Utopia
  • A White Merc with Fins
  • The Long Firm
  • Lord of the Barnyard: Killing the Fatted Calf and Arming the Aware in the Cornbelt
  • Like a Fiery Elephant: The Story of B.S. Johnson
  • A History Maker
  • Tough, Tough Toys for Tough, Tough Boys
  • Coming Soon!!!: A Narrative
  • The Pirates! in an Adventure with the Romantics
Toby Litt was born in Bedfordshire, England, in 1968. He read English at Worcester College, Oxford, and studied Creative Writing at the University of East Anglia where he was taught by Malcolm Bradbury, winning the 1995 Curtis Brown Fellowship. He lived in Prague from 1990 to 1993 and published his first book, a collection of short stories entitled Adventures in Capitalism, in 1996.

He is the autho