Charlie and Lola: Snow is My Favorite and My Best

Charlie and Lola: Snow is My Favorite and My Best (Charlie & Lola)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  423 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The weatherman has predicted snow, and Lola absolutely cannot wait. She just loves snow. "Why can't it be winter ALL the time?" she asks her brother. But on an adventure to the Arctic, Charlie shows Lola why never-ending snow might not be so perfect for kids. How could Lola go swimming or wear her favorite stripe-y party dress if it were always cold? Once again, Lauren Chi...more
Published October 5th 2006 by Dial

To ask other readers questions about Charlie and Lola, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlie and Lola

Amy
Sadly, imaginary friend Loren Sorenson doesn't show up in this one, but Charlie and Lola are kooky little kids all the same. Henry is fascinated by snow melting, by making a snow dog, by sledding, by being sad and then not, by the fact that Santa Claus doesn't have a phone, by the idea of liking something "best". Basically we can barely get through the text what with all of his questions and comments and poring over the pictures and skipping ahead. He would probably rate this one five stars.
I think this is a lovely book for EYS or KS1 children. The perspective is very much written from a child's and I think that it would be accessible for many children. The book is about Lola and her fascination and love of snow. She would like it to snow everyday but her very loveable brother Charlie helps Lola realise that it would not be as exciting or special if it was snowing everyday. He gives her many different scenarios and places of where it snows everyday and she soon realises that it sho...more
Latosha Finch
This story is about a boy and his sister. His sister's loves snow. She anticipates the snow arriving because the weather man said it would snow. It does snow. Lola goes outside with her family to play in the snow. The next day, the snow is gone. Lola is very sad. This book can be used to discuss snow. Students can write about their experiences with snow and what they do when it snows. Do they go outside and play on a sled as Lola did or do they remain inside and look at the snow.
Sara
The style and the way this book is written make the book unique. At one point, the picture was upside down, but the letters remained the same; at another point, the written text was in loops around the smaller pictures. The story of these siblings and about how much Lola loves snow days is endearing and very innocent. Lola does not understand why it cannot snow everyday. Therefore, her older brother has to explain to her, by using different examples, that if it snowed everyday, then snow wouldn’...more
Heidi
Kids love Charlie and Lola. Maybe it is the format of the illustrations? Worth a try in the winter theme I'm preparing.

1/22/14: Doesn't matter if the book is long or has spots that are "slow." The kids love Charlie and Lola, so they loved the book. And their favorite part was the dog buried in the snow, and the upside down Antarctic part. I think the kids were loving the books and themes, because by this part, most of them were right at my feet. One was even playing with my skirt....
Hannah
This would be a good book for teaching about adjectives. The lesson is that, while snow is fun, you wouldn't want snow all the time because there's good things about summer too. A good story, but not that exciting. I may be biased, though, because I dislike snow.
babyhippoface
Mar 14, 2008 babyhippoface rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: PreK-2nd graders
After a day spent playing in the snow, Lola is saddened to see that the snow has all melted by the next morning, and she wishes it would snow every day. On an imaginary trip to the Arctic to see polar bears, then to down to the Antarctic to meet some penguins, patient and wise big brother Charlie helps Lola understand why having a blanket of snow every day wouldn't be as wonderful as she thinks it would.

Child's signature collage illustrations add a tremendous sense of energy to each page. While...more
Benji Martin
This one is OK, just not up to the usual Charlie and Lola standards, at least for me.
Kaethe
April 05 2009

This one, we love.
Josiah
I really like this book very much. In general, I prefer the original Charlie & Lola picture books that were written by Lauren Child, but this television adaptation is, in my view, just about as good as those Lauren Child originals.
The sense of wonder that Lola has in eagerly watching for the appearance of the year's first snow is exciting, and easy to identify with by all of us who have felt similar happiness in waiting for snow. I love the eupeptic joy that is always Lola's voice, and thi...more
Natalie  Harvey
The kids love the Charlie and Lola books. Apparently, they were on TV first? I don't really know. This story was a bit long for my taste and lacked focus. I think it could have ended after the day in the snow, but it went on to add places to visit where it snows all the time. If it wasn't for my voices and expressive reading, my kindergartners would have been bored. But they seemed to like it enough.
Danielle Desmarais
-Found many more Lauren Child's 'Charlie and Lola' series books that I love!
-Again very exciting illustrations and text.
This time Lola is telling Charlie why she is so excited for it to snow.
-She talk about fun things to do in the snow and what happens during the winter months.
-I think it would be very entertaining for all children.

-2nd Grade reading level
Puppy Love
My little 6 year old sis LOVES this book. She is addicted to Charlie and lola at the moment and she reads the books (well i read them for her because she can't read yet) and watches the shows! I ask her 'What is your favourite Charlie and Lola book?' and she says 'THE SNOW ONE!' ha ha ha. So I read it one day and actually liked it and i am 4 years older than her!
Marisa
Charlie and Lola are two of my favorite characters. I like the writing style of the author and I love the positive, nurturing relationship between siblings. They are also creative and bright and no potty humor. Fun books to read and fun show to watch (Disney Channel). Each book/episode manages to slip a little non-fiction in there as well.
Snorkle
This is quite a cute little book. I love how Lola talks, she jumbles up her words and mixes up meanings, but she still manages to get her point across. I thought this book was sweet and would recommend it.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Jennifer Johnson
Lauren Child is brilliant. But I might not treasure these books so much if I hadn't fallen in love with the Charlie and Lola characters and voices on Playhouse Disney first. My husband is English so my children are extra smitten. The decoupage illustrations and whimsical font and format make this series so unique.
Dolly
Apr 09, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Our girls just adore the Charlie and Lola books created by Lauren Child and this is a fun story to read aloud with them. You just have to read it with an English accent!
Alamoliz
A great Charlie and Lola addition to the collection. Having to wait for snow, and then playing in it, and then experiencing its loss, the two also go on an imaginary trip to the Arctic and Antarctic where it is snow always, and Lola decides that it is better at home.
Sam
Apr 29, 2013 Sam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ed-310
An interesting story about a girl who absolutely loves snow! It would be a good for Minnesota classrooms due to the amount of snow we get! The illustrations are creative and intriguing! I would recommend this book for any elementary students.
Marlee
Fun, easy, quick, and funny. Charlie and Lola books are always a lot of fun. The characters are fun. Lola especially is fun to read about. Great for young children. My children, ages 6 and 9 really enjoyed this book.
Chrystal
I love the Charlie and Lola TV show; my girls don't remember it much, but they have enjoyed the books. Lola's expressions are simply adorable and Charlie is the sweetest and smartest big brother ever.
Lauren Nahinu
My daughter LOVEs the Charlie and Lola books...I think we have read them all! Most I would give 5 stars too and this one was cute but I just don't like it as much as some of the others
Lisa
Sep 23, 2008 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children
Shelves: children
great illustrations!
Story about Lola and her brother, Charlie who play in the snow and Lola always wants to play in the snow and finds out why it's fun not to have snow all the time.
Tricia
Lola loves snow and is very excited to see enough snow to make angels,go sledding and build a snowman. My audience and I especially enjoyed the "visit" to the Arctic and Antartica.
Julie
I love Lauren Child's illustrations and the snow storyline is believable. I was a bit confused when the story took a trip down under. It just didn't flow for me.
Lauri
I don't know what it is about these two, but I just love Charlie and Lola! I love their imagination and sometimes mischievous natures. This is a fun one for winter :)
Dana
Laneah and I love these books. Lola is so very cute. It's a fun book for parents to read as well. This one is our favorite and our best.
Yellowpagesgirl
Another very fun Charlie and Lola book and after the reading of this I catch my kid saying this or that is her "best". Cute!
Rachel
I just love Charlie and Lola!

"Lola says, 'A teeny weeny snowman who lives in the freezer! How did he get in there?'"
Amanda
This one I thought was OK but Caleb really liked it. He loves snow so anything having to do with it is great.
  • Fancy Nancy and the Delectable Cupcakes
  • Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly!
  • Snow Day!
  • I Took the Moon for a Walk
  • Pinkalicious: Pinkie Promise
  • Our Tree Named Steve
  • Velma Gratch and the Way Cool Butterfly
  • The Gruffalo's Child
  • Isabella: Girl on the Go
42016
Lauren Child grew up in Wiltshire as the middle child of three sisters and the daughter of two teachers. She has always been interested in the many aspects of childhood, from gazing into toy shop windows to watching American children's shows from the 1960s. After attending two Art Schools, where Lauren admits that she did not learn much, she travelled for six months, still unsure about which caree...more
More about Lauren Child...
I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato Utterly Me, Clarice Bean The Princess and the Pea Clarice Bean Spells Trouble Clarice Bean, Don't Look Now (Clarice Bean)