Start by marking “Getting Things Done” as Want to Read:
Getting Things Done

Getting Things Done

Learn quickly and easily how to: -Set your priorities according to your goals and not someone else's. -Decrease stress and increase energy by the use of leisure time and breaks. -Avoid bottlenecks, clutter, and information overload. -Concentrate completely on the specific task at hand. -Delegate authority and responsibility and give credit where it is due. -Emphasize effec ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 208 pages
Published September 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Things Done, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Things Done

Daniel Taylor
The format of this book was unexpected: a series of short essays on time management ideas, arranged in alphabetical order.

In their day, some of these ideas would have been groundbreaking. The very first chapter, "After-Action Reports," gives a tool to improve your performance at any event that repeats.

Some of the sections anticipated the wave of time management that developed in the 1990s and 2000s. In "Categories of Time Use," Bliss describes a way of dividing time that matches the four quadran
Colleen Wainwright
David Allen's GTD system owes much to the simple, straightforward work of Ed Bliss. That said, if you're looking for a soup-to-nuts system, David Allen's Getting Things Done should be your first (and possibly only) stop; if followed with fanatical adherence, it produces fantastic results. Or so I hear from my friends who have been able to achieve this mythical state. And yes, I half-hoped that reading this book would Change My Life, and no, of course it didn't. What book can, right? Or at least, ...more
Krishna Kumar
May 05, 2015 Krishna Kumar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful time management book - it talks about all the different ways a person can save time by prioritizing tasks and handling them in ways to reduce time consumption. It addresses topics like procrastination, meetings, paper work, etc. The only downside of the book is that it was written in a pre-Internet era and hence does not talk about time management issues around email and other web-based distractions of the modern workplace.
Vroomfundel
Sep 26, 2010 Vroomfundel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really nice practical overview of time management practices, informative as well as motivating.

A bit out of date, of course, deals with paperwork rather than computers and emails but the core principles are still valid - you just need to add a finishing touch of Randy Pausch or sth to be well equipped with time management techniques for the 21st century
Polina
Mar 23, 2009 Polina rated it liked it
Although dated a bit in some parts regarding paperwork and written communication (as we live in the age of email now), the book has still given me many important distinctions and timeless principles that I will be incorporating in my daily routine to make it even more productive.
Chris Billotte
So this was a quick little read. I thought this was the original book where the whole "GTD" started, and maybe it is, but it just glosses over things. Apparently I should have waited for the David Allen book to show up in the thift store. Well, next time.
Rob Savidge
Old book, but still very useful. There's no mention of computers or email, but the tips offered still have value.
Lynda
Feb 14, 2011 Lynda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread, was surprised I hadn't marked and rated it before. Easy to read and implement approach which also works well in adding to existing system that you are using. Tips are quite useful.
Maryann
Apr 08, 2014 Maryann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I tend to read a lot of books about motivation. This one is different because it focuses on the goal of the project, not the motivation to do it. I loved this easy read.
Gamze Golden
Waste of time:(
Phani Kanth
A little outdated, but worth your coupe of hours.
Michelle Beese
Jul 11, 2009 Michelle Beese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great!
Curtis
Curtis rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2011
Kate White
Kate White rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2013
Lucas
Lucas rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Rathi
Rathi rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2014
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2013
Aleksandar Todorović
Aleksandar Todorović rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Samantha Pryce
Samantha Pryce rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2016
Adekunle Adebisi
Adekunle Adebisi rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2012
Butterfly
Butterfly rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2012
Larissa
Larissa rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Mary Lou
Mary Lou rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Test
Test rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Umatrika
Umatrika rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Gary Jones
Gary Jones rated it it was ok
Jan 12, 2015
Prash
Prash rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2017
Marouane
Marouane rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Clutter Busting Your Life: Clearing Physical and Emotional Clutter to Reconnect with Yourself and Others
  • How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life
  • The Starfleet Survival Guide (Star Trek)
  • The Theater Experience
  • Our Sexuality
  • 279 Days to Overnight Success: An Unconventional Journey to Full-Time Writing
  • A View From The Top
  • Good Ol' Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #3)
  • A Writer's Time: Making the Time to Write
  • As We Speak:  How to Make your Point and Have It Stick
  • The Bond Book: Everything Investors Need to Know about Treasuries, Municipals, GNMAs, Corporates, Zeros, Bond Funds, Money Market Funds, and More
  • Pure Desire: Helping People Break Free from Sexual Struggles