Clarice Bean Spells Trouble

Clarice Bean Spells Trouble (Clarice Bean #6)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,388 ratings  ·  117 reviews
Clarice Bean is in for a spell of trouble -- and shares a lesson about kindness -- in this hilarious sequel to the NEW YORK TIMES bestseller.

Clarice Bean seems to be in nonstop trouble these days, almost as much as Karl Wrenbury, who is the naughtiest boy at school. If only she could be more like her favorite book character, Ruby Redfort, girl detective, who is very good a...more
Published May 9th 2006 by Candlewick Press (first published 2004)

Leila T.
Lauren Child is my favourite children's writer at the moment. The Clarice Bean series are for children aged nine, perhaps? So on the older end of the children she writes for.

I received this book as a gift twice! I think it was because of my affinity for grammar, spelling, etc. It enabled me to give one copy away to my cousin's daughter, and I think they are great children's gifts. (Even though I haven't asked my cousin's kid what she thought of it.)

There is wonderful whimsy with the language, Ch...more
Katrina
Clarice Bean Spells Trouble ~ By: Lauren Child
Katrina Haley
9th Period Reading

You’d be surprised at how much not being able to spell the word rhinoceros can get you into trouble! Ten year old Clarice Bean sure knows though. Clarice Bean Spells Trouble is about a girl named Clarice Bean and her best friend Betty Moody who are huge “Ruby Redford” fans (Ruby Redford is a made up secret agent on T.V. and they are coming out with the Ruby Redford movie soon.) and are having an interesting time in s...more
Anna
Clarice Bean Spells Trouble / Lauren Child / 2005
Genre: fiction
Format: juvenile fiction

Plot Summary: Clarice Bean, aspiring actress and author, unsuccessfully tries to avoid getting into trouble as she attempts to help a friend in need by following the rules of the fictional, "exceptionordinarily" spy, Ruby Redfort.

Considerations: talk of divorce and family trouble

Review:
"The childish language and writing style will attract fans of Barbara Park's “Junie B. Jones” series (Random) and random sket...more
Lunapie
I just saw this book in the book fair. While I was looking for a good book, I just saw this simple little book and first glance in the cover and prologue then I have a feeling that I will love it. Then while reading it, oh my! It's awesome! The characters are just doing their little ways with humorous stuffs, especially Clarice, who is very curious about words and spellings, and her friend, Betty Moody. "Don't look now" (haha!) And oh, before I forget, they are huge fans of Ruby Redford! (haha!)...more
Cyenna Spiess
I suggest this book for young adults
Ella
Really Good!!!
*Queen Diva*
I think I discovered why I utterly (Clarice reference!) love these books... it's because Clarice reminds me A LOT of Junie B. Jones, just a bit older. And I love those books.

I also love these books because Lauren Child has a fantastic way of using language. Its fun and fresh and different in a way that makes her writing stand out for the better.

There is one more Clarice Bean book out... I wonder if there will be more. I hope so! Because these books are really quite fantastic!

A part I enjoyed th...more
Katie Fitzgerald
What I like so much about this particular book is that Clarice Bean isn’t a perfect goody two-shoes, but she also isn’t an inherently “bad” kid. She falls in that in-between area where I think so many kids would place themselves. She tries to obey authority, but finds it difficult when an authority figure is unfair, and her empathy for a friend keeps her from being able to ignore his feelings. She is kind of a combination between a character like Junie B. Jones, who also has a lot of smart-mouth...more
babyhippoface
Hard as she tries to be good by following the advice of her hero, fictional child detective Ruby Redfort, Clarice Bean Tuesday cannot seem to stay out of trouble while preparing for a dreaded spelling bee and a school production of “The Sound of Music.” She surprises even herself, however, with her self-sacrificing efforts to help friend Karl out of a sticky situation in this second book of the spunky British girl’s exploits. Irrepressibly funny and frank, Clarice Bean narrates her exploits in a...more
Gina
I decided to read this book because I needed something quick to read for the weekend. It is one of my all time favourite books as it's really funny and it's written by one of my favourite authors; Lauren Child. It fits in the category of female author on the bingo board. One of my favourite quotes from the book is "Sometimes you find yourself doing things you wouldn't expect yourself to be doing." This is my favourite quote because it is funny and practically everyone can relate to it. My favour...more
Jessica Comley
It is really funny. After reading the book I found out how to spell many new words. When you read the book (which you should) you will get what I mean.
Ali Mac Book-Pro
My Very Random Outburst (These Are Plentiful in My Reviews): I have been reading this for so long that CB seems heroic! And this is so short... yet I'm reading nine books, so I really wouldn't trust my opinion of "a long time", if I were you... it's more like I take very long breaks in the boring parts of books and read a few series, then keep on reading those books and get through the boring parts. It's better than the first one, but pretty much the same thing. In the end, CB thinks that she's...more
Ubalstecha
Clarice Bean doesn't want to get in trouble; it seems though that trouble finds her. Mrs. Wilberton is planning a spelling bee, something that Clarice is not good at, but she studies anyway. Mrs. Wilberton is also the director of the school musical, but instead of Maria or Liesl, she makes Clarice a nun. But then Clarice does something unexpected, and that changes how everyone looks at here.

Lovely second instalment in the Clarice Bean series. Girls will see themselves in Clarice'a struggles in f...more
Darla
"Exceptionordinarily" good. Read with Z; she gave it a 4 and said it was utterly satisfying and really quite amazing.
A. Somers
Clarice Bean has a very distinctive voice! Ms. Child's does an excellent job of capturing the thoughts and actions of Clarice Bean in a realistic way. Clarice and Clementine should get together and compare notes one day. They're both very observant and the "tell it like it is". There were definitely moments in the story where you had to chuckle at Clarice's honesty.
I was disappointed with the ending. As a parent and teacher I wanted the moral of the story to be a little different. But overall it...more
Rebecca
I decided To read this book because it was the second book and i enjoyed the first book.
The category this book fits into is a book with a female main character.
My favorite quote from this book is
Something new i learnt from this book was not to judge people from when you meet them because they might be really cool later on.
A character i found interesting in this book was Karl Wrenbury because he was the boy who got in trouble all the time, but he still was really nice .
Andrew
How can I this book?
Maria
Clarice Bean cannot spell. She is a normal girl who loves her friends, and the Ruby Redfort TV show! Her teacher puts together the Sound of Music play. Clarice wants to be the head Von Trapp girl, but doesn't get it. Her friend gets in trouble at school, and she make a selfless act to keep him there. I loved the book, but it took a little while to get going. The illustrations are good and go well with the story. It's a good transition-chapter-book.
Rachel
Clarice Bean is back in her second book. Everything starts because of spelling, but how will it end? Can Clarice Bean, Betty Moody, and Karl Wrenbury (with some help from Ruby Redfort) save the day? Or will one of them need saving?

Fresh and funny, with craziness added here and there. It's a really good book in a series that doesn't have to be read in order.

Pick up this book! Your eyes will be glued to it, I tell you! Glued!
Jessica
These are the cutest books!! If you've ever seen the British cartoons of Charlie & Lola--well, these are by the same author. Told from the perspective of a 11- or 12-yr old girl (I never could figure it out exactly), they reminded me of the Ramona books or a much higher-level Junie B. Jones series. They are darling and very quotable, and my 10-year-old loved them as well. This one is the funniest--the first is also darling.
Scott
Yeah, it's a kids book. My daughter checked it out from he library and I had read different chapters of it to her at bedtime. It was a meaty enough story that the skipping around drove me to sit down and read it. The story telling style is different, which I enjoyed and the subject matter struck me as a bit more mature than what I would have thought interesting for a first grader. She seems to be enjoying the story, as well.
Claire
This book is a must really to any girl my daughter is 5 years old and found it very funny and even me the mother was laughing when reading this as its so funny but so right,
If you have read charlie and lola books you will love this as its lola but grown up, i just cant understand how this author is not a mother because she has children spot on , If you have a little girl get her this as she will love it
Elizabeth
I'm so excited to be reading this with my 6-yr-old daughter. She is just venturing into the world of chapter books. We love everything written by Lauren Child in our house, especially the Charlie and Lola books, so finding little novels for children by Child was a great surprise. I have a feeling we'll be making regular trips to the library so we can read all of the Clarice Bean series!
Nancy
Selina
What a delightful book to read, enjoy and learn from - and laugh at! We stumbled upon the author's children's picture books by the same name and we were very excited to find she had chapter books as well. A quirky character with an "utterly" charming personality - you can't help but fall in love with her. A great read aloud for all ages.
Ashley (っ◕‿◕)っ
I read Clarice Bean when I was in year 6, 3 years ago and I loved it then. I'm 14 and even though its written from an 11 year old's perspective I really do love it still. It's a light read that i thought was so sweet and cosy and I enjoyed reading it again immensely. Perfect book to just relax and drink tea with :)
Bonnie Gayle
Jul 20, 2007 Bonnie Gayle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: young readers with a sense of humor
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
This was a cute book about an Australian girl named Clarice Bean, first portrayed in picture books, now in her own chapter books, who can't spell. Throughout the book are her comments on how confusing the spelling of words are. There's a good sense of adventure, fun, and humor in this book.
Jamie Leeper
A spelling test at school. The teacher says to go through the dictionary and learn how to spell words. Clarice Bean just hopes that the words she learns, are the ones on the test! And how many k's are in the work anxious...(ankshus). I loved this book! Easy to read and very funny!
Novelist
This was a good book, not as good as the first one though. The "SCHOOL STINKS" part was one of those things that you see when you only take a 0.2 second glance at the page. I didn't really care for the parts where her friends were mad, but I was glad that they made up.
Peter
Fun and energetic read in the young-girl-at-school genre, but much less sass and negativity than, say, Junie B. Jones (but perhaps a little more attitude than Gooney Bird Greene). Good read-alone for 8-10 year olds. Note that grammar is informal and fonts are abused.
Clarice Bean's obsession4RubyRedfort 1 14 Sep 12, 2012 09:49AM
  • Judy Moody Goes to College (Judy Moody, #8)
  • Just Grace (Just Grace, #1)
  • The Great Hamster Massacre
  • Alice-Miranda at School
  • Ivy and Bean Take Care of the Babysitter (Ivy and Bean, #4)
  • 45 + 47 Stella Street And Everything That Happened (Stella Street, #1)
  • Roxie and the Hooligans
  • Frankly, Frannie (Frankly, Frannie #1)
  • Say Good-Bye (Wild at Heart, #5)
  • Piper Reed: Navy Brat (Piper Reed #1)
  • The SOS File
  • Ruby Lu, Empress of Everything
  • Junie B., First Grader: Aloha-ha-ha! (Junie B. Jones, #26)
  • Rare Beasts (Edgar & Ellen, #1)
  • Moving Day (Allie Finkle's Rules For Girls, #1)
  • Clementine's Letter (Clementine, #3)
  • Pish Posh
42016
Lauren Child grew up in Wiltshire as the middle child of three sisters and the daughter of two teachers. She has always been interested in the many aspects of childhood, from gazing into toy shop windows to watching American children's shows from the 1960s. After attending two Art Schools, where Lauren admits that she did not learn much, she travelled for six months, still unsure about which caree...more
More about Lauren Child...
I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato Utterly Me, Clarice Bean The Princess and the Pea Clarice Bean, Don't Look Now (Clarice Bean) Look Into My Eyes (Ruby Redfort, #1)

“She knows that it's not my fault if I don't know how many Zs there are in LOSER.” 6 likes