Start by marking “Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga Book 1)

Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga #1)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  284 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Everybody in Jack's family seems to be brilliant - apart from Jack and his downtrodden dog Zero. Even his little sister can beat him at swimming. But Jack's uncle Parker has come up with a plan to make him and Zero shine: they'll pretend that Jack can tell the future! If only they could foresee what chaos the plan will cause . . . Helen Cresswell is the much-loved writer o ...more
Published December 28th 1979 by Avon Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Ordinary Jack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ordinary Jack

Jesse
For the life of me I can't remember exactly how the Bagthorpes entered my life. It must have been a random grab off my local library shelf, because I've never heard of them referenced or mentioned in the years since (but then, it's my impression that its prolific author, Helen Cresswell, has never really had much of a presence on this side of the Atlantic). All I know is that at a certain time in my life—that is, that awful moment just before entering middle school—I read this series obsessively ...more
Bunnyjadwiga
Poor Jack. In a family of (eccentric) overachievers, he's the average one, no 'strings to his bow.' In an effort to impress his family, he enlists his dog and his uncle in a scheme to demonstrate his psychic powers, which, of course, this being the Bagthorpes, goes awry with hilarious results.

Even as an adult, I find myself reflecting on Jack Bagthorpe's experiences when I've had a particularly difficult day at work and need to lighten up.. Cresswell's characters and their exploits never fade,
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
I fell in love with all the characters in this book, the members of the crazy Bagthorpe family. The story centers on Jack, who feels too ordinary in comparison to his siblings and parents, all of whom have many Strings in their Bow. His wacky Uncle Parker dreams up a scheme to make the family think Jack has prophetic powers. The scheme works quite well, actually, with prophecies fulfilled about Lavender Men and Brown Bears. All the while the dad breaks his arm trying to stand on his head and the ...more
Margaret
The Bagthorpe Saga comprises ten books (though the tenth is terribly hard to find), beginning with this one, Ordinary Jack. They are a chronicle of the adventures of the eccentric Bagthorpe family: Mr. Bagthorpe, an irritable, paranoid scriptwriter; Mrs. Bagthorpe, juvenile magistrate and problem solver; their four children, William, Tess, Jack, and Rosie, all except Jack multi-talented; Grandma, the trouble-making matriarch of the clan; Aunt Celia and Uncle Parker and their four-year-old daught ...more
Connie
This was one of our family's favorite books to read aloud on long car trips when our (now gown up) children were younger. It was fun to see how it still holds up-- I laughed out loud a number of times! Now to see if I can track down the rest of the series again, since they now seem to be out of print....
Jessica
Cute. Read via podcast (Kayray reads to you) over an extended period of time (starting last year). Amusing enough to warrant looking into the rest of the series.
Mika
One of those books that you'll read a a child.
And remember!
All in all one of my favourites.
You've read the review? Go on, read the book.
Charlotte
'Ordinary Jack' is a fun story ment to be read on a lazy summer day.

Young Jack feels out of place among his talanted and excentric family. An understanding Uncle takes jack under his wing to pull off a series of fun pranks that bring out the hilarity and disfunction in the family dynamic.

I found the family to be reminicent of 'The Royal Tenembaums'.

Originally published in 1977 and set in England- the story translates to modernity well. I see why it is on the list of 1001 books you must read b
Valerie
It's interesting to read children books when you are an adult, you can see that the difference between children and adults is in the treatment of the writing, the feelings and descriptions are secondary while humour and action are the main style! I wanted to read some of the bagthorpes' books because they inspired the Royal Tennembaum, and I quite enjoy readint it!
Grillables
The Bagthorpes had been recommended to me from a number of different sources, so I'm finally giving them a go. So far: thumbs up! Good old-fashioned British fun with this wacky family. I expect I would have given this book more stars if I'd read this when I was younger, but it's still a good book when read at [redacted]. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Coco Schmoco
Man oh man, I freaking loved all of the books in this series when I was in middle school. Granted, I think the reason my sister started reading them was because our last name is almost the same as Cresswell's, but the whole family was so freaking insane and funny and out-of-control in the best, most misanthropic way possible. Genius!
Lea
Jul 09, 2009 Lea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: lol, animals
This book is for anyone who likes British comedies or "dysfunctional family" stories. The Bagthorpes are a huge British family, and each member is extraordinarily talented or weird. Except Jack, who is normal and hates it. Excellent book in a great old series, these books make me laugh every time I re-read them! XD
As a relatively normal third child of four in a family of rather extraordinary people, I definitely identified with Jack.

Cresswell really has a handle on characters, and writes them to the point of almost absurd, without crossing over. Funny, ridiculous, and endlessly entertaining.
Sue
First in the Bagthorpe Saga series. Jack is frustrated by his ultra-talented and boastful siblings. Prompted by his sympathetic uncle he embarks on a new career... calamities ensure, as is the norm in the chaotic Bagthorpe household. Fast-paced and well-written.
NC
First of the Bagthorpe Saga. Quite funny. Gifted eccentric famiily, very large brood. one child has no particular genius tries to find his talent.
I will look forward to the rest of the series. Thank you Ginny Gustin for introducing me.
Jrobertus
You gotta love the Bagthorpes. This hyper competitive English family has many hilarious adventures. The stories, although often silly, have a measure of everyman in them and the foibles are also presented with wit and good nature.
Solveig Haugland
This series is one of the series I check out from the library every time I go home and read. Oh my god. Hilarious for everyone. Could start kids at age 7 or 8, gets funnier as you get older.
Kind of fun, a couple of outrageous laugh-out-loud scenes. A pretty decent kid has to deal with a self-proclaimed brilliant family (meaning they're all self-absorbed attention-seekers).
Peter
One of my favorite books as a kid, and one I thoroughly enjoyed as an adult, reading it to my daughter at bedtime.
Dixie
This series starts out kind of slowly - this is my least favorite - but picks up and becomes hilarious fun.
Sean
I loved this series in 6th grade. There was one page that still had me in hysterical giggles.
Sierra
Hunter and I read this. He said it is a 4 I say a 2. It is certainly a British novel.
Sharon Hanlon
When I read this book I laughed so hard I scared my cat.
Lorna
Amazingly funny, laugh-out-loud, British family hilarity
Roses
The first in an extremely funny series for children.
Elevetha
May 24, 2013 Elevetha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Elevetha by: Biblia Fyle
4.5 stars.

Hilarious! Highly recommended.
Margaret
I love love love the bagthorpes.
Ginger
Full of wacky characters. Amusing.
large, nutty, self-absorbed families 1 10 May 05, 2008 09:21AM
  • Minnow on the Say (Puffin Books)
  • The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
  • Autumn Term (The Marlows, #1)
  • Uncle
  • The Exiles at Home (The Exiles, #2)
  • The Ghost of Thomas Kempe
  • The School for Cats
  • The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures
  • The Swish of the Curtain
  • Grinny
  • The Little Grey Men
  • Quirky Tails (Uncollected)
  • The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler
  • Conrad: The Factory-Made Boy
  • Bill's New Frock
  • Children on the Oregon Trail
  • Vuk
  • The Wind on the Moon
Moondial Absolute Zero: Being the Second Part of the Bagthorpe Saga (The Bagthorpe Saga, #2) Bagthorpes Unlimited: Being the Third Part of the Bagthorpe Saga (The Bagthorpe Saga, #3) Bagthorpes V. the World: Being the Fourth Part of the Bagthorpe Saga (The Bagthorpe Saga, #4) Bagthorpes Abroad: Being the Fifth Part of the Bagthorpe Saga (The Bagthorpe Saga, #5)