Start by marking “Scone Cold Dead (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Scone Cold Dead (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #2)

Scone Cold Dead (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #2)

With one solved murder case under her dance belt, Liss has no idea she’s about to spiral into another... Liss still misses the life of a professional dancer with Strathspey, the Scottish dance company she belonged to. So she arranges a reception for the troupe when they’re on tour, complete with a Scottish theme that includes a new spin on the classic Scottish Scone.

Liss s
Published August 1st 2008 by Kensington (first published January 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Scone Cold Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scone Cold Dead

C.
Dec 10, 2014 C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may not be award-winning literature but Kaitlyn Dunnett's storytelling and writing keep her plots trotting along evenly. Detail is never to excess, nor do we lack insight into characters. It’s best to show feelings rather than physical tedium. I don't really care what anyone's wearing nor how they look, beyond basic sketches but if I know their concerns and their personalities' essence; I am keen to follow them along and root for them.

The first mystery was much more interesting, believable, a
Kyrie
Mar 02, 2016 Kyrie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
It wasn't as good as the first ones I read (and yes, I did read out of order), but it's still fair.

There's no lack of really bad puns, and no lack of people to suspect as a murderer.

I got a little tired of Liss and her potential boyfriends wanting to protect her. I also didn't follow the romantic history between Dan and Liss (possibly because it was so often stressed that Dan failed to mention how he felt).

Still, it was good, and nice escape literature.

I like this series, and I didn't expect
Lisa Morin
Aug 10, 2016 Lisa Morin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting addition to the series

This book is just as good as the first. The story is written with so much detail, it's very easy to believe you are in Moosetookalook.
Join Liss, Sherri, Dan in this wild adventure. When the dance group comes to perform, Liss is saddened by the end of her career. Seeing old friends should bring a smile to her face, instead someone is dead and Liss is back in investigation mode.
Ellyn
Aug 14, 2008 Ellyn rated it it was ok
The second book in the Liss MacCrimmon series wasn't as interesting as the first one. I liked the setting of a Scottish emporium in Maine and the characters were good, but the story just wasn't very interesting to me. It took a long time for me to get into a relatively short book and I figured out the killer pretty easily. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of the mystery cozy style.
Cornerofmadness
Oct 29, 2012 Cornerofmadness rated it liked it
Barbara
Dec 02, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Probably 3.5 stars. The heroine is bordering on being one of those characters that thinks she knows how to investigate better than the professionals. It doesn’t help that the new county sheriff asks for her help and lives to regret it. I think this basically goes to her head a bit. She throws it in his face a few times that he originally asked for her help when he gets frustrated and a bit angry that she is meddling in his investigation. At least for the most part, she has sense enough to ask so ...more
Heather
Sep 03, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-mystery
Liss MacCrimmon is back and this time she brought her friends! The Irish dance group, Strathspey, is staying at Moosetookalook Maine for a couple days to perform and have a nice reception dinner. Liss is so excited that she can be with her tightly knit family. But all the dancers are upset and Victor, the head of the troupe, is acting strange and some ugly stories of him are starting to surface. The plot thickens when he takes a big bite of a scone and dies right in the middle of the company. It ...more
Carolyn
Aug 01, 2011 Carolyn rated it it was ok
This book gets two rather than one star for the ingenious method of escaping from a kidnapper. This is the second book in a series. I liked the setting (Scottish shop, small town Maine) so I thought I would give it another try. The main character is so selfish and unlikeable that it was hard to read. She was unkind to a small child who looks up to her, encourages a friend who works two jobs and is a single mother to give up time with her son to spend time with her and then can't figure out why t ...more
Shannon
May 11, 2012 Shannon rated it it was ok
I should start by saying I am not a fan of these types of literal mysteries, James Patterson is more my style while this book was more Agatha Christie. But I used it to kill some time on a piece of exercise equipment so it served it's purpose.

I am a huge fan of rich characters and I found this book to be lacking in that department. I didn't care for the main character much at all and that's half the battle right there. The rest of the cast was a listing of the usual suspects...you had the snobs,
Lynn
Jul 25, 2012 Lynn rated it liked it
Liss is relatively new in her old home town. She is helping her aunt run her business and added new fangled things like websites and online shopping. With mixed feelings she has coordinated a special program at the local college -- her old dance troupe. She is excited about seeing old friends and colleagues but it is bittersweet at times for she wants to be back and performing with them even though life on the road is hard and the work grueling on the body.

Her old dance manager dies unexpectedly
Nikki
Jun 09, 2009 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: maine, mysteries, fiction
The second in Kaitlyn Dunnett's Liss MacCrimmon series was very enjoyable, even better than the first. Liss, formerly a professional Scottish dancer, has come home to Moosetookalook, a small town in Maine's western mountains, to help run her aunt's Scottish goods store after a knee injury ended her dance career. She's arranged for her old company to give a performance in the nearby college town and is looking forward to a reunion. But during the reception, the group's manager dies suddenly. When ...more
Goatmaiden
May 27, 2013 Goatmaiden rated it did not like it
Holy crud this was an amazingly bad book. I found it while on summer vacation, and can't imagine reading it as anything other than a beach book so fluffy it just about floats away.

Every character is hilariously shallow, all the themed stuff seems tacked on (it's a cozy where the main character is a retired Scottish-not Irish!-dancer who runs a gift shop in--wait for it--Moosetookalook, Maine, and solves mysteries,) and there are so many unrealistic plot points (the MC, a small business owner, i
Amanda
Feb 19, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
The second in Kaitlyn Dunnett's Liss MacCrimmon series was very enjoyable. Liss, formerly a professional Scottish dancer, has returned home to Moosetookalook, a small town in Maine's western mountains, to help run her aunt's Scottish goods store after a knee injury ended her dance career. She's arranged for her old company to give a performance in the nearby college town and is looking forward to a reunion. But during the reception, the group's manager dies suddenly. When the death proves to be ...more
Patty
Feb 14, 2012 Patty rated it really liked it
This second book in a series is almost as much fun as the first. Liss is settling into her new life in her hometown, helping to run her Aunt's Scottish Emporium, testing her skills as a dance teacher and slowly re-establishing a relationship with high-school sweetheart Dan.

Liss has invited the cast of Strathspey, the Scottish dance group she starred in, to spend a couple of nights in Moosetookalook. When manager Victor is killed by mushrooms (he was highly allergic) hidden in a scone Liss is det
Dawn Michelle

I like these books; I don't love them, but I don't hate them either. They are a nice little mystery that has some neat Scottish stuff thrown in. This is only my second and I will probably read the third at some point and then make a decision then whether or not to move on. I enjoy the characters, I just wish the "mystery" had been a little better fleshed out. I guessed early on who might be the killer and so was not surprised when it turned out to be so [in my opinion, I cannot see how ANYONE wo
Lynn
Aug 01, 2009 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, donated
I enjoyed Kilt Dead by the same author, so I continued the series, because it was one, and in this book, I really got to like the principals quite well. I am looking forward to the next installment. I like books that have characters who become friends.

The mystery in this one was quite interesting from the beginning, with a few false leads the investigators followed, but I had it pretty much figured out early on. Not to say that is a bad thing, it usually takes me as long as the investigator to s
Kay (Brigidsmomma) Compton
I really enjoyed this one, although I am not so sure I am happy about the addition of a second beau for the protagonist. Kind of makes her seem a bit undefined if she can't sort out who she wants to date, and is willing to take on a second boyfriend when she's already committed to the 1st one. I will see how this works out in the next of the books before I decide if I will pursue this series further. Other than that one complaint, the book is excellent. I was kind of thinking the guilty party wa ...more
writer...
Jan 21, 2013 writer... rated it really liked it
Great cozy read from Kaitlyn 'Dunnett' - I'm sure that pun is intended !
Protagonist, Liss, very real and very likeable. One fall in a performance with her Scottish Strathspey dance troupe prematurely ended her career, but not her interest in her dance family. Having arranged a tour stop in her Maine hometown, she anticipates nothing but reunion. But someone else has a different outcome in mind...
Multiple red herrings throughout the read, quirky character traits, and romantic triangles kept this
Nancy
Liss MacCrimmon, who no longer could do Scottish dancing, is a partner in the Scottish Emporium, in a small town in Maine. Her former Scottish dance troop is coming to her town to perform and at the reception given for them the manager of the troop dies of an allergic reaction to a scone containing mushrooms. The troop stays in town and Liss's boyfriend Dan Ruskin is jealous when a state police officer, who plays the bagpipes, becomes interested in Liss.

A member of the troop was skimming profits
Sue
Mar 26, 2012 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid but unremarkable entry in the series. Liss invites her former dance company to town, and the manager ends up dead. She decides to investigate based on a request from the lead detective and the fact that these are her friends. One thing I found jarring was the idea that Dan was thinking of asking Liss to marry him. We haven't seen much of their romance, other than the occasional kiss. I would like to see more of their relationship - why is he falling for her? do they spend time together b ...more
Susan
Nov 08, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-maine
Liss was a Scottish dancer professionally until an injury sidelined her. Now she's content to run a Scottish memorabilia shop in Maine. But when her old dance troupe comes through the area, she arranges to entertain some of her friends, to the distaste of new boyfriend Ben. Then the manager of the troupe dies of an allergic reaction, although Liss has warned everyone connected with the catering of his allergies. When her two best friends are suspected by the attractive State policeman, Liss feel ...more
Addison Public Library
Liss MacCrimmon invites her old dance troupe to Moosetookalook. Anticipating good times of reminiscing and comradery, she instead finds dissent among the members. When the company manager collapses and dies after eating a mushroom filled scone, Liss is determined to find out which cast members knew about his deadly allergy to mushrooms and, more importantly, which one chose to act up on that knowledge.

KD 10/14

Check out this book today!

judy
Sep 23, 2012 judy rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Read the first one and decided to take a chance on #2. Bad decision even if the setting was Maine. Everything felt repetitive--all from the "how to write a cozy" manual. The killer was obvious early on. I almost closed the book many times but kept reading because it was the last library book in the house. Forgot that before my last two library hauls I had started re-reading Tuchman's Stillwell in China book. Saved from having having to make a mad dash to the library!
Nicole
Oct 14, 2008 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The injured Liss deals with the dance troop pretty well. Being young and healthy despite loosing her career lets her take the change to being in the audience instead of performing on the stage calmly despite a few qualms. After all the career was always of relatively short duration, as any professional performance based career must be, it just ended a bit sooner.
I like the story well enough and would read more by this author.
Diane Heath
May 11, 2014 Diane Heath rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Thia is the second book in the Liss MacCrimmon series. The dance troupe that Liss worked with prior to her knee injury are on tour and in Fallstown. Liss provides a reception for them and their manager suddenly dies from a "cocktail scone"...This time Liss is not a suspect but many of her friends are.
Stephanie
Sep 11, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was ok
I only gave this book 2 stars because I was bored with it & knew who the killer was less than halfway through (and I never know who the killer is). It felt like we were introduced to too many new characters, too many plot lines moving around trying to distract us but mostly just seemed like page fillers. I haven't given up on the series completely though!
Sue
Jan 05, 2013 Sue rated it liked it
Murder by mushroom. That’s the verdict when Scottish dance troupe manager Victor Owens dies after eating a scone stuffed with mushrooms. All of the suspects are friends of former dancer Liss MacCrimmon, so she decides to help hunky detective Gordon Tandy solve the case. Mystery, romance, and a charming setting in small town Maine make this book a winner.
Natasha Jackson
Mar 26, 2013 Natasha Jackson rated it did not like it
Shelves: cozy
I was really disappointed in this book. After reading the first and enjoying it I thought I found a new series. I was wrong. Liss was so unlikable in this story, I had to skip pages to finish. By the end I didn't care about the murderer. I am done with this series.
Leslie Ferrari
Nov 21, 2014 Leslie Ferrari rated it really liked it
Enjoying this cozy mystery series. In this offering, Liss, the main character, arranges for her former dance troupe to perform near her home town. The manager of the troupe is murdered and it's up to Liss to find the killer when her friend is the number one suspect.
Alice
Aug 26, 2014 Alice rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this series, but I don't. The fake place and geographical names are grating, the supporting characters are too whiny for my taste, and the heroine is just a bit two dimensional.
  • Death A L'Orange (A  Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #3)
  • Panic Button (Button Box Mystery, #3)
  • Assaulted Pretzel (An Amish Mystery, #2)
  • If Mashed Potatoes Could Dance (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery, #2)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • The Walled Flower (Victoria Square, #2)
  • Steamed (Maid in LA, #1)
  • Every Trick in the Book (Novel Idea, #2)
  • The Probability of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #2)
  • Allergic to Death (A Gourmet De-Lite Mystery, #1)
  • Murder under Cover (Bibliophile Mystery #4)
  • The Christmas Cookie Killer (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #3)
  • A Stitch in Crime (Crochet Mystery, #4)
  • A Cup of Jo (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #6)
  • Mind Your Own Beeswax (Queen Bee Mystery, #2)
  • This Old Souse (Bed-and-Breakfast, #20)
  • Antiques Slay Ride (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #7.5)
Kaitlyn Dunnett is a pseudonym used by Kathy Lynn Emerson, author of the Face Down Mysteries featuring Susanna Appleton, 16th century gentlewoman, herbalist, and sleuth, the award-winning How to Write Killer Historical Mysteries, and a wide assortment of other books.

Kathy Lynn Emerson was born in Liberty, New York and began writing as a child: a newspaper for her dolls and then a rambling adventu
More about Kaitlyn Dunnett...

A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery (10 books)
  • Kilt Dead (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #1)
  • A Wee Christmas Homicide (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #3)
  • The Corpse Wore Tartan (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #4)
  • Scotched (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #5)
  • Bagpipes, Brides and Homicides