Scone Cold Dead (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #2)

Scone Cold Dead (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #2)

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  293 ratings  ·  45 reviews
After a knee injury forces professional Scottish dancer, Liss MacCrimmon to give up her life of performing strathspreys, reels, jigs and Highland flings she returns to her hometown of Moosetookalook, Maine, where she runs a Scottish Emporium. With one solved murder case under her dance belt, Liss has no idea she’s about to spiral into another...

Liss still misses the life o...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2008)

Coyote in Provence by Dianne HarmanCoyote in Provence by Dianne HarmanMurder and Marinara by Rosie GenovaThe Long Quiche Goodbye by Avery AamesHoliday Grind by Cleo Coyle
Culinary Mysteries
41st out of 47 books — 51 voters
A Dead Husband by Anna Celeste BurkeCoyote in Provence by Dianne HarmanChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeCatering to Nobody by Diane Mott DavidsonCoyote in Provence by Dianne Harman
Mysteries in Good Taste!
210th out of 289 books — 241 voters

More lists with this book...

Ellyn
The second book in the Liss MacCrimmon series wasn't as interesting as the first one. I liked the setting of a Scottish emporium in Maine and the characters were good, but the story just wasn't very interesting to me. It took a long time for me to get into a relatively short book and I figured out the killer pretty easily. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of the mystery cozy style.
Carolyn
This book gets two rather than one star for the ingenious method of escaping from a kidnapper. This is the second book in a series. I liked the setting (Scottish shop, small town Maine) so I thought I would give it another try. The main character is so selfish and unlikeable that it was hard to read. She was unkind to a small child who looks up to her, encourages a friend who works two jobs and is a single mother to give up time with her son to spend time with her and then can't figure out why t...more
Cornerofmadness
Babs
Probably 3.5 stars. The heroine is bordering on being one of those characters that thinks she knows how to investigate better than the professionals. It doesn’t help that the new county sheriff asks for her help and lives to regret it. I think this basically goes to her head a bit. She throws it in his face a few times that he originally asked for her help when he gets frustrated and a bit angry that she is meddling in his investigation. At least for the most part, she has sense enough to ask so...more
Lynn
Liss is relatively new in her old home town. She is helping her aunt run her business and added new fangled things like websites and online shopping. With mixed feelings she has coordinated a special program at the local college -- her old dance troupe. She is excited about seeing old friends and colleagues but it is bittersweet at times for she wants to be back and performing with them even though life on the road is hard and the work grueling on the body.

Her old dance manager dies unexpectedly...more
Shannon
I should start by saying I am not a fan of these types of literal mysteries, James Patterson is more my style while this book was more Agatha Christie. But I used it to kill some time on a piece of exercise equipment so it served it's purpose.

I am a huge fan of rich characters and I found this book to be lacking in that department. I didn't care for the main character much at all and that's half the battle right there. The rest of the cast was a listing of the usual suspects...you had the snobs,...more
Heather
Liss MacCrimmon is back and this time she brought her friends! The Irish dance group, Strathspey, is staying at Moosetookalook Maine for a couple days to perform and have a nice reception dinner. Liss is so excited that she can be with her tightly knit family. But all the dancers are upset and Victor, the head of the troupe, is acting strange and some ugly stories of him are starting to surface. The plot thickens when he takes a big bite of a scone and dies right in the middle of the company. It...more
Nikki
The second in Kaitlyn Dunnett's Liss MacCrimmon series was very enjoyable, even better than the first. Liss, formerly a professional Scottish dancer, has come home to Moosetookalook, a small town in Maine's western mountains, to help run her aunt's Scottish goods store after a knee injury ended her dance career. She's arranged for her old company to give a performance in the nearby college town and is looking forward to a reunion. But during the reception, the group's manager dies suddenly. When...more
Goatmaiden
Holy crud this was an amazingly bad book. I found it while on summer vacation, and can't imagine reading it as anything other than a beach book so fluffy it just about floats away.

Every character is hilariously shallow, all the themed stuff seems tacked on (it's a cozy where the main character is a retired Scottish-not Irish!-dancer who runs a gift shop in--wait for it--Moosetookalook, Maine, and solves mysteries,) and there are so many unrealistic plot points (the MC, a small business owner, i...more
Amanda
The second in Kaitlyn Dunnett's Liss MacCrimmon series was very enjoyable. Liss, formerly a professional Scottish dancer, has returned home to Moosetookalook, a small town in Maine's western mountains, to help run her aunt's Scottish goods store after a knee injury ended her dance career. She's arranged for her old company to give a performance in the nearby college town and is looking forward to a reunion. But during the reception, the group's manager dies suddenly. When the death proves to be...more
Patty
This second book in a series is almost as much fun as the first. Liss is settling into her new life in her hometown, helping to run her Aunt's Scottish Emporium, testing her skills as a dance teacher and slowly re-establishing a relationship with high-school sweetheart Dan.

Liss has invited the cast of Strathspey, the Scottish dance group she starred in, to spend a couple of nights in Moosetookalook. When manager Victor is killed by mushrooms (he was highly allergic) hidden in a scone Liss is det...more
Diane Heath
Thia is the second book in the Liss MacCrimmon series. The dance troupe that Liss worked with prior to her knee injury are on tour and in Fallstown. Liss provides a reception for them and their manager suddenly dies from a "cocktail scone"...This time Liss is not a suspect but many of her friends are.
writer...
Great cozy read from Kaitlyn 'Dunnett' - I'm sure that pun is intended !
Protagonist, Liss, very real and very likeable. One fall in a performance with her Scottish Strathspey dance troupe prematurely ended her career, but not her interest in her dance family. Having arranged a tour stop in her Maine hometown, she anticipates nothing but reunion. But someone else has a different outcome in mind...
Multiple red herrings throughout the read, quirky character traits, and romantic triangles kept this...more
Nancy
Liss MacCrimmon, who no longer could do Scottish dancing, is a partner in the Scottish Emporium, in a small town in Maine. Her former Scottish dance troop is coming to her town to perform and at the reception given for them the manager of the troop dies of an allergic reaction to a scone containing mushrooms. The troop stays in town and Liss's boyfriend Dan Ruskin is jealous when a state police officer, who plays the bagpipes, becomes interested in Liss.

A member of the troop was skimming profits...more
Lynn
I enjoyed Kilt Dead by the same author, so I continued the series, because it was one, and in this book, I really got to like the principals quite well. I am looking forward to the next installment. I like books that have characters who become friends.

The mystery in this one was quite interesting from the beginning, with a few false leads the investigators followed, but I had it pretty much figured out early on. Not to say that is a bad thing, it usually takes me as long as the investigator to s...more
Susan
Liss was a Scottish dancer professionally until an injury sidelined her. Now she's content to run a Scottish memorabilia shop in Maine. But when her old dance troupe comes through the area, she arranges to entertain some of her friends, to the distaste of new boyfriend Ben. Then the manager of the troupe dies of an allergic reaction, although Liss has warned everyone connected with the catering of his allergies. When her two best friends are suspected by the attractive State policeman, Liss feel...more
Seafun77
Fun beach read.
Hannah
S2V2L2
Chrystine
Although I was able to figure this one out about 1/2 way through the book I did enjoy the action at the end.
judy
Read the first one and decided to take a chance on #2. Bad decision even if the setting was Maine. Everything felt repetitive--all from the "how to write a cozy" manual. The killer was obvious early on. I almost closed the book many times but kept reading because it was the last library book in the house. Forgot that before my last two library hauls I had started re-reading Tuchman's Stillwell in China book. Saved from having having to make a mad dash to the library!
Nicole
The injured Liss deals with the dance troop pretty well. Being young and healthy despite loosing her career lets her take the change to being in the audience instead of performing on the stage calmly despite a few qualms. After all the career was always of relatively short duration, as any professional performance based career must be, it just ended a bit sooner.
I like the story well enough and would read more by this author.
Luanne
Fun series, great characters.
Sue
Murder by mushroom. That’s the verdict when Scottish dance troupe manager Victor Owens dies after eating a scone stuffed with mushrooms. All of the suspects are friends of former dancer Liss MacCrimmon, so she decides to help hunky detective Gordon Tandy solve the case. Mystery, romance, and a charming setting in small town Maine make this book a winner.
Natasha Jackson
I was really disappointed in this book. After reading the first and enjoying it I thought I found a new series. I was wrong. Liss was so unlikable in this story, I had to skip pages to finish. By the end I didn't care about the murderer. I am done with this series.
Chelsea
I've got to stop browsing the new mystery section at the library. I'm missing out on reading all these books that I need to just reserve a copy of, but am too lazy to do that...
Betty
I'm reading these books backwards. This was read after Wee Christmas. I had it figured out very quickly, but still finished it. I'm enjoying getting to know Liss.
Jenn
This wasn't my favourite cozy of all time. I figured out whodunit but I didn't know why. The Scottish dancing wasn't really my thing but it wad still a decent mystery.
Another round where the author maintains the characters, introduces some new ones, and has the same Scottish culture references. Another quick mystery to read.
Marji
Very fast read, good thing I checked this one out from the library.
Along the lines of the caterer "Goldie" mysteries by Diane Mott. Classify as Mystery Lite.
Lindig
Much better than #1, maybe because her old dance troupe comes to town, so there's considerable info about the dancing and being a professional dancer. On to #3.
  • Assaulted Pretzel (An Amish Mystery, #2)
  • If Mashed Potatoes Could Dance (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery #2)
  • Panic Button (Button Box Mystery, #3)
  • Death of a Country Fried Redneck (A Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #2)
  • Peach Pies and Alibis (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery #2)
  • This Old Souse (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #20)
  • Murder by the Slice (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #2)
  • Magnolias, Moonlight, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery #4)
  • The Probability of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #2)
  • Every Trick in the Book (Novel Idea, #2)
  • Evanly Choirs  (Constable Evans, #3)
  • The Book of Old Houses (Home Repair is Homicide, #11)
  • Death Comes to the Village
  • Motif for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #4)
  • Trouble in the Tarot (A Fortune Teller Mystery #3)
Kaitlyn Dunnett is a pseudonym used by Kathy Lynn Emerson, author of the Face Down Mysteries featuring Susanna Appleton, 16th century gentlewoman, herbalist, and sleuth, the award-winning How to Write Killer Historical Mysteries, and a wide assortment of other books.

Kathy Lynn Emerson was born in Liberty, New York and began writing as a child: a newspaper for her dolls and then a rambling adventu...more
More about Kaitlyn Dunnett...
Kilt Dead (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #1) A Wee Christmas Homicide (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #3) Scotched (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #5) The Corpse Wore Tartan (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #4) Bagpipes, Brides and Homicides