Start by marking “A Sound Like Thunder” as Want to Read:
A Sound Like Thunder

A Sound Like Thunder

Approaching eighty, Rove MacNee sets out to write the story of his youth– “I will be forgiven, I’m sure, if I don’t remember things with stunning clarity.” What memories clearly remain resonate within him like rolling thunder and shower down like rain in Sonny Brewer’s superb and richly rewarding new novel of fathers and sons, family and betrayal.

Set in the small gulf town
Published August 1st 2006 by Ballantine Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Sound Like Thunder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sound Like Thunder

Candice
Jan 24, 2008 Candice rated it liked it
I listened to this on CD. Why so many books on CD all of a sudden? I have had a problem with my eye and since I need to do a lot of reading at work, I listen to books on tape to get my book fix with less eye strain.

This book was ok. Set in Fairhope, AL, it is a coming of age story set at the beginning of the Second World War. Sixteen-year-old Rove MacNee is given a boat by his elderly German neighbor. So it's partly a sailing book. There is some dysfunction going on in the MacNee family, which m
Karen
Jan 25, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing
Loved this, very enjoyable. Would be even better understood by those who know all about boats and sailing. Good descriptions of nature, the sea, the sky the Alabama shore.
Kitty Tomlinson
Nov 27, 2011 Kitty Tomlinson rated it it was amazing
Story of Rove McNee's (sp.?) coming of age told when he was an old man. Set in Fairhope, AL, it has characters from novel The Poet of Tolstoy Park (also by Brewer)--Anna Pearl Anderson, Katherine Anderson & Henry Stewart. Very compelling.
Lynn Wilson
Apr 14, 2010 Lynn Wilson rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who are interested in sailing and in life on the gulf coast.
This is a sweet book but it is definitely written in a "male" voice, which kept me from becoming fully involved. I'm not sure why but certain books really reach me, whether written in a male or female voice. In reading Thunder I was clearly an observer of the narrator's experiences.
Ann
Jun 20, 2009 Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
The first paragraph grabbed me and then this book just wouldn't let go! If I lived in Fairhope, Alabama, I would be a regular at the Over the Transom Bookshop.

Darlene
Sep 11, 2010 Darlene rated it liked it
A coming of age story in a dysfunctional family. It was ok, a bit drawn out with the decriptions of the settings but some might enjoy that.
Holly
Aug 02, 2008 Holly rated it it was ok
Half way through this read, I realized I'd read this book before. It's very, um...nostalgic.
Kathee
Jan 17, 2009 Kathee rated it really liked it
Another book sited in Fairhope, AL. Great studies of characters.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Jim Riggs
Jim Riggs rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Gen (hearts books)
Gen (hearts books) marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Dylan Taylor
Dylan Taylor rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Hope
Hope added it
Feb 12, 2016
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Keely Rettmeier
Keely Rettmeier marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Sooee
Sooee rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2015
Eurea
Eurea rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Janice
Janice added it
Jul 16, 2015
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Beth Wiskochil
Beth Wiskochil rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Betsy Hooper
Betsy Hooper rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Rwc
Rwc rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sonny Brewer is the author of four novels, including The Poet of Tolstory Park and The Widow and the Tree. He edited the anthology series Stories from the Blue Moon Café and most recently, Don't Quit Your Day Job - Acclaimed Authors and the Day Jobs they Quit published by MP Publishing in 2010.
More about Sonny Brewer...