Start by marking “Ten Tiny Tickles” as Want to Read:
Ten Tiny Tickles

Ten Tiny Tickles

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  241 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
How many tickles does baby need to start the day? Cuddle and laugh with this count & read book!
Published June 1st 2005 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Tiny Tickles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Tiny Tickles

Monica Rigor
Nov 15, 2015 Monica Rigor rated it liked it
Shelves: math, family, body-parts
As Baby wakes up, she is greeted by ten tickles from various family members. Each family member offers a different type of tickle from Baby's head to her tiny toes. Children are taught to count to 10, and recognize body parts and family members. This book could be made interactive by having children touch the body parts that are tickled, and act out the types of tickles given to Baby (e.g., wiggly tickles, and tapping tickles). Children with disabilities can be hand-over-hand prompted to touch b ...more
Kelsey
Apr 10, 2014 Kelsey rated it really liked it
Ten Tiny Tickles features the story of a baby receiving ten different kinds of tickles to wake up in the morning. Each page clearly shows the number in both word form and number form. The page also features daisies that children can count with each number. The book doesn't provide a way for children to count the actual tickles that the baby receives. Instead, children count the daisies. Children will enjoy and identify with the laughing baby as the baby receives tickles from family members and p ...more
Jazzmarie Vedrine
This is a bright, colorful book that could lead to be an interactive, playful game with toddlers ages 2 to 3 years old. It teaches how to count to 1o, and body parts and putting words into action, like learning how to bounce, wiggle, tickle, tap, as these were some of the words of what was listed in the book. The story could be put into a song in teaching body parts, or learning how to count or just being silly and playful just tickling a toddler on exposed body parts, like hands, head, ears, to ...more
Leslie Stair
I use this book for my Baby and Me Music and Art Class

After reading the book aloud and doing our regular songs and new thematic ones I lead a process oriented art activity with babies and caregivers.

The ASL signs introduced were about families; mother, father, grandma, grandpa, and baby

Thematic songs about families were introduced

The art project was using a homemade, edible paint to allow babies to explore painting freely using hands and large brushes. I made an edible fingerpaint from cornstarc
Meg McGregor
Dec 09, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
A unique counting book that fans of Karen Katz will simply love.

Little ones can help Baby start her day by reading about all ten different types of tickles she receives by loving members of her family.
Aletheia Ubben
Apr 01, 2015 Aletheia Ubben rated it liked it
It's not much as far as literature goes - just some interesting adjectives - but it's fun to act out.
Brooke
Oct 01, 2014 Brooke rated it really liked it
Perfect for a lapsit that the parents are actually interactive and will tickle their kids on the different body parts. Really cute story.
lucem
Apr 29, 2008 lucem rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: baby-toddler
Shelves: pb-counting
CIP: Family members awaken a baby with tickles, from one little tickle on a lovely sleepy head to ten tiny tickles on chubby, tubby toes.

Does the normal counting book stuff (# written as word, as numeral and displayed as objects). The illustrations do show baby doing normal daily activities, but seems kind of blah to me. A little rhyming like teeny-weeny, boogie-woogie and chubby-tubby. A stretch to make it a worthwhile read would be for parents to do the tickling actions on baby while reading.

R
Cara
Aug 04, 2014 Cara rated it liked it
This would've been better with parent participation.
Casandria
Mar 08, 2016 Casandria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby, picture
I will be using this for baby story time!
Jan 31, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A loving multi-ethnic family enjoys tickling the family baby. We all love to tickle!
Heidi
This looks like a good toddler book for counting aloud in storytime. The pictures look a bit cutesy, but I guess the children won't mind.

6/22/10 & 6/24/10 The simple counting books are great with this age. They're all at different stages of knowing their numbers, so some can use their fingers, and some like the repetitiveness of the actual counting. Even the older kids who showed up liked counting along. And the young crowd seemed to enjoy all the different possible tickles, too.
Jessica
Sep 12, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a counting book that goes through the day of a baby. Throughout the day, they get tickles and each time they count up. “One little tickle on a lovely, sleepy head” “Two kitty tickles on chunky, spunky ears” The book has cute illustrations of a baby and her family and friends. It is a fun book that you could read with your child and tickle them. It encourages physical touch and literacy interaction. It is also a board book with easy to turn pages.
Kristin
Feb 11, 2015 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: clarabelle
Very cute interactive book.
Mary
Sep 21, 2011 Mary rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
Maybe I’m splitting hairs here, but the concept of the book (“tickles”) is something that can’t be counted. So many it fails in the concept. Each page has the number, the number spelled out, and the number depicted in daisies, but this has nothing to do with tickles. So the text of the book doesn’t really go along with counting, except for the fact the baby has 1 head, 2 ears, and 10 toes.
Kristin Fletcher-spear
Jun 07, 2012 Kristin Fletcher-spear rated it really liked it
I liked this better than 10 kisses. It felt a little less gender specific. Or maybe charlie just liked it better. He really liked the tickles up & down his back. I like how most of katz bks are participatory as well as a enjoyable read. I would like to think that most parents would think to do those sort of things with their kids but I know better.

Emma likes the tickles too!
Missy Kirtley
Maybe I'm just out of the phase where I can read these sorts of books to my toddler. I'm expecting more from books now-a-days. When baby#2 arrives, and I read this one to her, I may have a completely different opinion, but right now I want more for my toddler.

I suppose we'll have to give this one another try when baby#2 gets here, and I can start reading things to her.
Gabriel
Nov 03, 2009 Gabriel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So we stopped in HomeGoods today after a hospital visit for Gabriel and he latched onto this book and would not let go! It was hysterical- he loves Karen Katz so... Two women were amazed at how he was holding it and leafing through it. I bought it! And G's little cousin read it to him- adorable!
Endya Melvin
This is a cute fun book about a mother who tickles her daughter different ways throughout the morning while getting her dressed while the number increases with each tickle. This is a counting book from 1-10, but can also be used to teach adjectives as well as.
jacky
Apr 12, 2011 jacky rated it liked it
I really like some of Karen Katz's books, but this one was just okay. The phrasing was just too cutesy for me (tuby toes and spunky ears?). I did like seeing the baby interact with so many different family members. Natalie liked it though and asked to hear it often.
Holly
Mar 03, 2013 Holly rated it really liked it
Shelves: carson-s
This would be an excellent baby shower book. It is interactive with your child by tickling. It would encourage a daily morning bonding routine if you were to read it on a consistent basis. One of my favorites.
Ubalstecha
Jul 27, 2011 Ubalstecha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice little board book where a baby gets ticjked, Perhaps the one about tickling the tush is a little creepy, but it is meant to be innocent. Nice review of anatomy.
Ubalstecha
Apr 06, 2011 Ubalstecha rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
Kristen
I really like Katz's style for baby story time--large, bright illustrations, simple text, and stories that make it easy for parents to play along with baby while I read.
Eileen
Jul 30, 2011 Eileen rated it it was amazing
You'll love to hear your baby giggle as he/she learns about so many ticklish spots. Get ready for smiles and squeals - coming from you and your baby.
Cristina
Jun 02, 2012 Cristina rated it liked it
Very simple text and numbers introducing different kinds of tickles. Somehow I felt like it would rhyme and it didn't so that threw me off.
Lorraine Robinson
Dec 01, 2012 Lorraine Robinson rated it liked it
Shelves: math
can be used:
- counting up to 10
- very easy read
- numbers symbol corresponding to number words
- bright and happy illustrations
- for pre-k level
Savannah
Jun 11, 2013 Savannah rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Didn't like some of the language used in this book. I'm trying to teach my son the proper names of body parts. Fun counting book.
Leah
Sep 17, 2012 Leah rated it liked it
Katz's signature illustrations and rhyming counting describing babies and their activities that make them so darn lovable.
TJ
Jun 16, 2009 TJ rated it did not like it
What exactly are "chunky spunky ears?" This one starts to lose it's charm after about 10 readings.
Counting Book 1 1 Feb 09, 2016 10:03AM
Counting Book 1 1 Feb 09, 2016 09:56AM
  • The Baby Goes Beep
  • All of Baby, Nose to Toes
  • Mommy, Carry Me Please!
  • Peekaboo Morning
  • Five Little Chicks
  • Forever
  • Big Fat Hen
  • Binky
  • How Do You Make a Baby Smile?
  • Tuck Me In!
  • My Car
  • Peek-a-Zoo!
  • Whose Baby Am I? Board Book
  • Time for a Hug
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Little Pookie
  • Read to Your Bunny
  • Hello Baby!
Karen Katz has written and illustrated many books for children, including The Colors of Us, Can You Say Peace, My First Ramadan, Counting Kisses and Where is Baby's Belly Button. Long inspired by folk art from around the world, she was inspired to write her first book, Over the Moon, when she and her husband adopted their daughter from Guatemala, and she wanted to tell the story of welcoming Lena ...more
More about Karen Katz...