Start by marking “Newton's Gift: How Sir Isaac Newton Unlocked the System of the World” as Want to Read:
Newton's Gift: How Sir Isaac Newton Unlocked the System of the World

Newton's Gift: How Sir Isaac Newton Unlocked the System of the World

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Sir Isaac Newton, creator of the first and perhaps most important scientific theory, is a giant of the scientific era. Despite this, he has remained inaccessible to most modern readers, indisputably great but undeniably remote.
In this witty, engaging, and often moving examination of Newton's life, David Berlinski recovers the man behind the mathematical breakthroughs. Th
Published March 5th 2002 by Free Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Newton's Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Newton's Gift

Upom
After reading A Tour of the Calculus, I decided to read Berlinski's work on Isaac Newton. Berlinski continues to write with his poetic style, and has really reduced the amount of pretension in his writing. However, the book felt unoriginal to a good degree, because his writing on calculus feels like a recycled version of his last book. Still, I appreciate a book that really tries to detail Newton's theories as opposed to just glaze over it.
Berlinski concludes "Newton's Gift" with a philosophica
Steve Horton
Not bad, but a lot more equations than prose about Newton. It seemed to be a Shorter Tour of the Calculus, which I did enjoy.
Ryan
If you've ever been lucky enough to be within earshot while I gush about science writing that I like, you'll notice a few themes. Mainly that "I recommend this for the lay person who is interested" and "the author makes it so exciting and accessible!" Yup, that's how I feel about this one, too. But he really DOES cover the science without making it feel out of reach. it's NOT a biography, which is also a plus. (I can barely get through Clash biographies, and they're my favoritest band ever.)
Wade
Berlinski dares to include diagrams and equations (only a few and mostly segregated in an appendix) in a cogent and accessible introduction to Newton's "the system of the world." His book is a witty and humane survey of the life of a great man and of some of that man's great ideas. Highly recommended for those who wish to begin to understand the way that the world actually works...in distinction to the way that wishful thinkers want it to work.
Doug
Berlinski's attempts to not get too heavily into either the biographical details of Newton's life or the scientific and mathematical details of his work result in a slight volume that left me unsatisfied in both aspects. It may have worked better if it was edited down to the size of a New Yorker profile and published in a magazine. Berlinski's A Tour of the Calculus is far more successful.
Tim
This is a very brief look at the life of Isaac Newton. I'm reading it as a sort of follow on to The System of the World by Neal Stephenson as a gauge to how much was fact and how much was fiction in that tome.
This book is readable, quick, informative, and mostly well written, although I would not rank it with the serious biographies of Newton.
Ben
Whenever I read Berlinski, I can't help but wear a fascinated and somewhat triumphant grin. If the vastness and power of Newton's genius is ulitmately inaccessible to modern readers, it is Berlinski on whom we may rely for a peek at the man wrapped in that genius. Also, I feel like I should be wearing a bowtie.
Paul C.lalchungnunga
“Nature and Nature’s laws lay hid in night:
God said, Let Newton be! and all was light.”
Paul C.Lalchungnunga
AM ON Facebook Too
+91 9892928724
0389-2340373
Amy
A facinating and often fun glimpse into the life of Issac newton. Some of his concepts and more understandable gifts to physics are explained. Overall quite interesting
Cindy
Interesting, but kind of corny.
Paul
Las Cruces, New Mexico

KAY CEE
KAY CEE marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Ngv
Ngv marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Yusuf Wadud
Yusuf Wadud marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Tiresias
Tiresias marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Sara
Sara added it
Mar 18, 2015
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Atif Imran
Atif Imran marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
  • The Mathematical Universe: An Alphabetical Journey Through the Great Proofs, Problems, and Personalities
  • Isaac Newton: The Last Sorcerer
  • Curiosity: How Science Became Interested in Everything
  • Erwin Schrodinger and the Quantum Revolution
  • Descartes's Secret Notebook: A True Tale of Mathematics, Mysticism, and the Quest to Understand the Universe
  • The Great Equations: Breakthroughs in Science from Pythagoras to Heisenberg
  • A Most Incomprehensible Thing: Notes Towards a Very Gentle Introduction to the Mathematics of Relativity
  • Conversations about the End of Time
  • Uncentering the Earth: Copernicus and The Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres
  • The World of Mathematics Set
  • The Essential Turing: Seminal Writings in Computing, Logic, Philosophy, Artificial Intelligence, and Artificial Life Plus the Secrets of Enigma
  • The Whole Story of Climate: What Science Reveals About the Nature of Endless Change
  • To Explain the World: The Discovery of Modern Science
  • Sleep Thieves: an Eye-Opening Exploration into the Science and Mysteries of Sleep
  • From the Closed World to the Infinite Universe
  • Farewell to Reality: How Modern Physics Has Betrayed the Search for Scientific Truth
  • The Newton Papers: The Strange and True Odyssey of Isaac Newton's Manuscripts
  • The Man Who Changed Everything: The Life of James Clerk Maxwell
David Berlinski is a senior fellow in the Discovery Institute’s Center for Science and Culture.

Recent articles by Berlinski have been prominently featured in Commentary, Forbes ASAP, and the Boston Review. Two of his articles, “On the Origins of the Mind” (November 2004) and “What Brings a World into Being” (March 2001), have been anthologized in The Best American Science Writing 2005, edited by A
More about David Berlinski...
A Tour of the Calculus The Devil's Delusion: Atheism and Its Scientific Pretensions Infinite Ascent: A Short History of Mathematics (Modern Library Chronicles) The Advent of the Algorithm: The 300-Year Journey from an Idea to the Computer One, Two, Three: Absolutely Elementary Mathematics