Start by marking “Skunkdog” as Want to Read:
Skunkdog

Skunkdog

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Dumpling is a dog of enormous enthusiasm, excellent obedience skills - and no sense of smell. She doesn't care about flowers, garbage, or any of the other smelly things most dogs enjoy. As a result, Dumpling has no dog friends. With a useless nose, she can't relate. Dumpling is lonely . . . until she and her people move to the country. And then the good dog has to choose b ...more
Published April 29th 2008 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Skunkdog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skunkdog

Doc Tails by Othen Donald Dale CummingsGo, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanThe Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene ZionClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman Bridwell
Picture Books About Dogs
110th out of 207 books — 101 voters
Fishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale CummingsTurtle Wish by Murielle CyrFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
Boy Friendly Picture Books
121st out of 164 books — 72 voters

More lists with this book...

Tasha
Dumpling (the dog) and her people move out into the country where she has room to run, a woods to walk in, and absolutely no friends! One special characteristic of Dumpling is that she has no sense of smell, making it very hard for her to relate to other dogs. So when Dumpling was digging under a bush and was sprayed by a skunk, she doesn't really notice. But her people do! They try one way after another to get rid of the stench, but nothing works until they try tomato juice. When Dumpling is fi ...more
Robert Beveridge
Emily Jenkins, Skunkdog (Frances Foster Books, 2008)

Cute story about a dog with no sense of smell who moves to the country and befriends a skunk (and the travails of his family, who finally learn to stock up on tomato juice). It's not the be-all and end-all of Jenkinsiana (I'm not sure she will ever come up with another book as downright darling as Sugar Would Not Eat It, which is on the short shelf of my All-Time Favorite Kids' Books(TM)), but it's gently funny, just tasteless enough to hook th
Natalia Lindquist
Skunkdog is about a puppy named Dumpling who could not smell anything. Dumpling had no dog friends because they didn’t have anything in common. One day, Dumpling’s family moved into a new house where he discovered a new friend. Dumpling met a skunk and started being friends but he soon started to smell. His owners covered him in tangerines and tomato juice but he still smelled. Dumpling continued to befriend skunk because they were very similar. This book should be read in classrooms because it ...more
Angie
Different story. Cute little dog and skunk. One of those longer picture books ... too many words for the new reader to do on their own. Too long to read in one "storytime" sitting. But cute and worth individual readalouds.
John Sullivan
Skunkdog is an interesting book; Dumpling, a dog who lacks a sense of smell, moves to the country with her owners. Back in the city, dumpling did not have any dog friends because of her inability to sniff out scents, but in the country, Dumpling jumps at the opportunity to befriend a skunk. At first, the skunk doesn't have the same desire, but after Dumpling continues to want to play, even after being sprayed, the skunk loosens up and the two get along. The family tries everything to rid Dumplin ...more
Liz Todd
A great story about an unlikely friendship between a skunk and a dog. Kids ALWAYS ask me to read this to them, and I really don't mind! :) A fun read--expressive, funny, and a little surprising.
Olivia Felix
This story is entertaining for my wild little man. I also love the vocabulary that my children can hear when I read it to them.
Kaethe
As a person with an extremely limited sense of smell, I dearly loved this. I don't think I've ever read a book before about an animal who couldn't smell.

Library copy.
Heather
O likes this story enough she asked for it by name from the library a second time. A lonely dog with no sense of smell befriends a skunk. Cute and oh so stinky!
Jackie Mancuso
love everything about this book. the illustrations and the story.
Dolly
Feb 11, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2013, childrens, pets
This is a humorous tale about a dog who cannot smell. His disability does not make him popular with dogs, but it does enable him to make an unusual friend. This friend poses a few difficulties for Dumpling's family, but Dumpling is happy.

The narrative is fun to read aloud and the illustrations are very colorful and cartoonish. The different methods the family tried for trying to remove the stench of skunk are certainly interesting, but our girls even knew the good old standby that finally worke
Susan
0-7
Cute story of a city dog with no friends because he can't smell, and therefore can't relate to other dogs. Upon moving to the country with "his people" he meets a skunk who sprays him, which is no deterant to skunkdog! His "people" fret over how to get the lingering stink out and forbid him to play with skunks. The dog, usually obedient, goes against them, because skunk is the first friend he has had. The two remain close friends, with dog occasionally getting sprayed and the family keeping c
Alison
Cute! Teaches alot about acceptance...
Angie
I enjoyed reading this story to my younger kids. It was far "wordier" than most picture books, and most kids probably won't be able to sit still for the entire story. The friendship between the dog and the skunk was very sweet and I admire the patience of the little boy and his parents.
Jessica Bennett
In this book, Dumpling the dog keeps getting sprayed by a skunk but it doesn't bother him because he can't smell anything and they become best friends. There are great vocabulary words in this book that children could learn and it would give them a good laugh!
Bree
Notes:
with the mention of 'throw up' in the first few pages I found this book revolting and it never redeemed itself
Fabulous Classroom
This was a very fun, cute book about a dog who has no friends. Since the dog has no sense of smell, it befriends a skunk, much to the horror of his family. A sweet story about friendship being more important than, well, stinkiness! :)
Michelle Young
thought of my dog because she's stinky. but it was literally about a dog being sprayed by a skunk whom he befriended. and it used a big word on the second page that just seemed weird--paroxysm of delight or something like that. eeh.
Krista
Cute story but a little long winded and odd vocabulary choices- for example- "She went into paroxysms of joy..." Not appropriate for a picture book- a different word would have been a better choice.
Katie
Kids loved it. Great pictures, interesting premise. The dog has a small nose and can't smell things or relate to other dogs. He makes friends with a skunk, gets sprayed often... just silly.
Katey
Strange story but its all about friendship and love. The dog befriends a skunk and doesn't mind the smell. The owners hate the smell but love the dog enough to deal with it.
Molly
I feel for this lonely little dog and I like how he just wants a friend. I thought this was a cute book and I really enjoyed this when I did not need to think to much. Ages 4+
Rose
I love dogs, so this picture book is a winner with me! The story of a dog who can't smell - other dogs find him a bore. However, for a skunk, he makes a great friend :)
Erin
A cute little story about a dog with no sense of smell who befriends a skunk - much to the chagrin of her family who mut buy LOTS of tomato juice.
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
A sweet little story of an unlikely but reasonable friendship between a dog and a skunk. The illustrations are strong and expressive.
Heather
Very funny picture book as it deals with stinky smells coming from under a skunk's tail as he repeatedly sprays a dog.
the Reeds
we learned a new word today; paroxysms. I'm not sure it'll get much mileage from the six year old.
Serena McGlashen
Q was bored with the story and asked me to stop reading it.
Tricia
great tale of dog who cannot smell and makes friends with a skunk.
Christi
Really funny story about unlikely friends and the consequences
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Toys Go Out: Being the Adventures of a Knowledgeable Stingray, a Toughy Little Buffalo, and Someone Called Plastic A Fine Dessert: Four Centuries, Four Families, One Delicious Treat Toy Dance Party: Being the Further Adventures of a Bossyboots Stingray, a Courageous Buffalo, and a Hopeful Round Someone Called Plastic Lemonade in Winter: A Book About Two Kids Counting Money Toys Come Home: Being the Early Experiences of an Intelligent Stingray, a Brave Buffalo, and a Brand-New Someone Called Plastic (Toys #3)